• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pedigreecomics.com auctions
2 2

12 posts in this topic

i've bid on and bought comics in CL and CC auctions lots of times in the past, but never have participated in pedigreecomics auctions before. they have something coming up that i'm interested in. does anyone here have any info worth sharing about their auctions? seem legit? i have a feeling they are just fine, but just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with them regarding auctions that is worth sharing here. thanks in advance- -

They had this book on their site listed as a preview, see below, so I signed up, put it in my watch list, then checked the auction and noticed it wasn't listed.  I then called them up and they said it's not for sale so I bought a lower grade copy off ebay.  I just checked their site and it's still listed as a preview.  Damn it, sell me that book.

MP 30.4.jpg

Lots of opinions about Doug and his site and his business practices. As Shad says, research him and form your own opinion. Personally I stopped doing business with Pedigree 7-8 years ago and I used to both buy and consign. But that is my personal preference and shouldn't be taken for advise. 

12 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I suggest you research the owners background before you come to any decision. 

thanks for the advice- i did find the thread here started by foolkiller 12 years ago on doug and his past legal issues among other things. definitely makes one hesitate to bid in an auction on a private site where the possibility of shill bidding is real and impossible to decipher, unlike ebay where it's at least somewhat transparent. 

4 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

thanks for the advice- i did find the thread here started by foolkiller 12 years ago on doug and his past legal issues among other things. definitely makes one hesitate to bid in an auction on a private site where the possibility of shill bidding is real and impossible to decipher, unlike ebay where it's at least somewhat transparent. 

I don't categorize theft as a "past legal issue."

9 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i've bid on and bought comics in CL and CC auctions lots of times in the past, but never have participated in pedigreecomics auctions before. they have something coming up that i'm interested in. does anyone here have any info worth sharing about their auctions? seem legit? i have a feeling they are just fine, but just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with them regarding auctions that is worth sharing here. thanks in advance- -

I participated in an auction there once. I won the auction but it turned into a bit of a bidding war at the end with the auction going into 1 extended bidding session. The final price was a good deal higher than I anticipated it to be! The same book (same centering & page quality) was auctioned off on Clink for 183 dollars less. I avoided the Clink book because I thought one of the staples was a bit suspect. I'd probably make a different decision if given a do over.

I'm not bidding on pedigree again that's for sure. For some reason lots of pedigrees auctions end up consistently high from what I've looked up. One factor for me living in Florida, I get charged sales tax on anything from pedigree. That information would have been very helpful before I decided to participate in that auction!!! Hope that helps

10 hours ago, LordRahl said:

Lots of opinions about Doug and his site and his business practices. As Shad says, research him and form your own opinion. Personally I stopped doing business with Pedigree 7-8 years ago and I used to both buy and consign. But that is my personal preference and shouldn't be taken for advise. 

You're principled. You stopped doing business with Pedigree because all the well-publicized, easily accessible fine details pertaining to Doug's conduct leading to disbarment, along with his self-admissions, were quite clear and not subject to interpretation. I wasn't doing business with Doug prior to what came to light, but had I been, those revelations would have deterred me from doing so after learning about them.

I've bid on and won a few books from Pedigree Comics. I was reluctant at first due to what I had heard on the boards. Both of my transactions were smooth and I even worked with Doug to get a book that didn't meet the reserve initially. Doug was prompt, courteous and easy to work with. That's all I have to say about that.