• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Orlando Quevedo "Manhattan View" painting

27 posts in this topic

My wife and I just returned from a cruise on RC's Harmony of the Seas.

During the cruise, we attended Park West's art auction and one of the items that we almost purchased was Orlando Quevedo's "Manhattan View" painting (yeah, I should have..).

Even though I'm Canadian and never been to Manhattan, the painting stood out for me immediately and upon closer inspection, I noticed a snippet of John Romita's art off to the left in the painting.

Does anyone know which (obviously 60's romance) comic book this came from?

im811270-e1502465191302.jpg

Just now, CAMPER49 said:

Wow thanks guys!

I'm the one that thought it was Romita, not the art people. Now I know better.

Lichtenstein (did Warhold do a couple of these too?)  making all that money basically coloring in other peoples' art has been a bone of contention on these boards for some time now, particularly as a couple of the artists (not romita) wound up in dire straights financially later on (not that they owned the rights to the art anyway).

2 hours ago, CAMPER49 said:

Wow thanks guys!

I'm the one that thought it was Romita, not the art people. Now I know better.

what was the asking price?   Judging by the prices on the prints (seem to be close to a grand) you might have dodged a bullet not buying the original

3 hours ago, kav said:

wow he really likes pianos, open spaces and homages:

Screenshot 2018-04-04 at 10.43.44 AM.png

I feel like this artist would even homage himself and paint a guy in a gallery looking at the painting above hanging on the wall.  Bonus points if the guy is also wearing a t-shirt with the same painting on it.

Edited by valiantman

18 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I feel like this artist would even homage himself and paint a guy in a gallery looking at the painting above hanging on the wall.  Bonus points if the guy is also wearing a t-shirt with the same painting on it.

Extra bonus points if the painting is the actual painting that the painting is.

Not sure if it is included in one of those links but the image was "borrowed" from Secret Hearts #83.

The real Drowning Girl by Lichtenstein is on display at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. For some reason it is hung in an outer hallway by the elevators instead of in an actual gallery. :tonofbricks:

s-l1600.jpg

47 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Not sure if it is included in one of those links but the image was "borrowed" from Secret Hearts #83.

The real Drowning Girl by Lichtenstein is on display at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. For some reason it is hung in an outer hallway by the elevators instead of in an actual gallery. :tonofbricks:

s-l1600.jpg

Book does well on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Secret-Hearts-83-Silver-Age-DC-Comics-1962-Romance/302684314701?hash=item4679641c4d:g:gdwAAOSwfXJauVVm

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

what was the asking price?   Judging by the prices on the prints (seem to be close to a grand) you might have dodged a bullet not buying the original

IIRC, The reserve price was just over a grand.

9 minutes ago, CAMPER49 said:

IIRC, The reserve price was just over a grand.

Were you bidding on an original or a print?    Your answer made me check the jpg, and it shows a 319/500 bottom left.

Park West is generally a rip off ,although you can occasionally make a nice purchase. If you buy one of their " display' pieces, you save a lot of hassle.  You can walk off with a nicely framed copy or wait a month to get an unframed ,raw painting in the mail. Then when you go to get it framed you get sticker shock.