• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What factors should I consider when deciding whether to clean and press an older comic?

4 posts in this topic

I have a copy of Four Color 386 that I got for a song. It's not high grade but a shop owner suggested that a clean-and-press might improve it. It's complete with no tears, splits, or separations, but it has significant staple wear, rusty staples, and, I think, some fading (although it's hard to judge since it's the only copy I have.) 

I have never had a comic cleaned and/or pressed before, and I don't know much about the process. I don't know, for instance, if the process might involve risks to older comics, such as exacerbating wear or causing spontaneous combustion, or something similar. 

I've attached a photo of the front cover of the comic. I haven't made scans yet (and when I do, I may add this to the PGM thread). Any advice from those knowledgeable about the cleaning & pressing process will be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_9363.JPG

1 minute ago, David McGinnis said:

I have a copy of Four Color 386 that I got for a song. It's not high grade but a shop owner suggested that a clean-and-press might improve it. It's complete with no tears, splits, or separations, but it has significant staple wear, rusty staples, and, I think, some fading (although it's hard to judge since it's the only copy I have.) 

I have never had a comic cleaned and/or pressed before, and I don't know much about the process. I don't know, for instance, if the process might involve risks to older comics, such as exacerbating wear or causing spontaneous combustion, or something similar. 

I've attached a photo of the front cover of the comic. I haven't made scans yet (and when I do, I may add this to the PGM thread). Any advice from those knowledgeable about the cleaning & pressing process will be greatly appreciated. 

Welcome to the boards! Your best bet would be to send it to CCS for a pre-screen before grading. They'll examine the book and determine if a press will benefit it or not. There are risks involved, such as the possibility of popping a staple etc. so if you send it in for a press without a pre-screen, I believe they will just press it and not be held responsible for any damage that may occur.

Other members would know much more than me, so hopefully they chime in with more info.

The press pre-screening is a good idea but I've never used the service so I don't really know how detailed they go on their check of the book.  From what I see almost all sellers are saying "book could use a clean and press" to help make a sale but very few know how a clean or press will help the book.  Is the back cover dirty - especially in white areas?  If the book has wrinkles or spine roll (yours looks like it may have some) then a press will definetely help get rid of those defects.  But your staples do not look very secure so it is a risk for a staple pop.  You can always post up good scans in the Please Grade My Book section and people will give you some good info.

2 hours ago, David McGinnis said:

IMG_9363.JPG

Hard to tell how much the book will improve from a clean and press based on the picture.  

If you see dirt in the white areas, especially the back cover cleaning should help.  If you see bends or dents or damage on the covers it may improve with a press but anything colour breaking can’t be removed.  If damage breaks the inks on the cover pressure and heat won’t repair it.