• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystic 28. What's Up With This Book?

26 posts in this topic

So I'm searching Atlas pre-code horror on eBay, and come across this My Comic Shop Listing for Mystic 28. A couple of months ago this same copy was offered by MCS for around 200 bucks. Now take a look.

Mystic 28 eBay

What happened? 815.00 for a 2.5? Did something happen with this book that I'm unaware of. I know I always felt it was underrated, and has a cover that's better than many of the designated PCH. Plus it's extremely scarce. But 815 bucks for a low grade copy? Seems strange to me.

I always felt it was Maneely's take on Strange Tales 28 by Anderson, (which I think ST28 is better).  Having said that, I agree this is a nice issue and not seldom scene in high grade. I think this price is pushing the hype a bit though! 

Edited by Jayman

Strange Tales 28 conveys horror that can't be contained in a picture. It stands alone in that department.

But Mystic is pretty horrifying too, though being entombed with an undead is the stuff of nightmares.

I agree with Andy that this cover has been neglected for a long time, and it's nice to see some recognition. I should have nabbed this one when I had a chance, but at least I do own one(a David Alexander special :eyeroll:).

3 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

What happened? 815.00 for a 2.5? Did something happen with this book that I'm unaware of. I know I always felt it was underrated, and has a cover that's better than many of the designated PCH. Plus it's extremely scarce. But 815 bucks for a low grade copy? Seems strange to me.

It's because I already sold my 2.5 copy. I mean, that's pretty much it. :D

We were just talking about how great we thought this book was last year,no?Sad I never found an upgrade before it caught on.

At least we both have one!

Maybe it has do do with a boardie having it as their avatar and more people took notice of it that way?I don't recall one ever being sold here.

I'm a fan of a lot of these types of books but I'm not sure I get the love on this one.   We are just talking about the cover right?   I mean... its cool and all but there are better ones in this genre?

4 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

So I'm searching Atlas pre-code horror on eBay, and come across this My Comic Shop Listing for Mystic 28. A couple of months ago this same copy was offered by MCS for around 200 bucks. Now take a look.

Mystic 28 eBay

I guess this may a true reflection of the current FMV given the CL example - I am no PCH expert nor real collector of them. Lone Star listings are priced by the consignor and not by Lone Star so the consignor can value them for whatever they want and then for Ebay Lone Star bumps the price by a certain percentage.  On their site the book lists for $700.  Not sure how to direct link to that book but here is a screen shot of the book on Lone Star's site.  I think the consignor is a boardie.

5ac95bb4ad4ee_FireShotCapture219-Mystic(1951Atlas)comicbooks_-https___www.mycomicshop.com_search.thumb.jpg.06233d998d32314c3c274842f1e49165.jpg

Edited by telerites

10 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I'm a fan of a lot of these types of books but I'm not sure I get the love on this one.   We are just talking about the cover right?   I mean... its cool and all but there are better ones in this genre?

Just wanted to say - great avatar. :smile:  Sorry for a slight thread sidetrack. 

44 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Yes there are better. It just seems this issue is finally breaking out and it is definitely better than an average Atlas PCH cover. Still, if I had a choice I'd want an Adventures Into Weird Worlds 25 (Mad Mamba cover) before this book! Both are great Maneely covers!

10 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Yes there are better. It just seems this issue is finally breaking out and it is definitely better than an average Atlas PCH cover. Still, if I had a choice I'd want an Adventures Into Weird Worlds 25 (Mad Mamba cover) before this book! Both are great Maneely covers!

Great call. I really like that one too.  :cool:

20 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Maneely died young, right? How many Maneely covers are out there? For a Maneely fan, maybe there aren't too many choices.

That said, the Lone Star price is an asking price; asking prices don't mean much. There's a guy on eBay asking $599 for a pair of used 90s Overstreet price guides--plus $50 shipping.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/DETECTIVE-COMICS-31-COVER-SWIPE-OVERSTREET-PRICE-GUIDE-31-ST-40TH-EDITIONS/112808753043?hash=item1a43ecf793:g:4UEAAOSwG1Naf54X

Edited by jimbo_7071

6 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Maneely died young, right? How many Maneely covers are out there? For a Maneely fan, maybe there aren't too many choices.

That said, the Lone Star price is an asking price; asking prices don't mean much. There's a guy on eBay asking $599 for a pair of used 90s Overstreet price guides--plus $50 shipping.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/DETECTIVE-COMICS-31-COVER-SWIPE-OVERSTREET-PRICE-GUIDE-31-ST-40TH-EDITIONS/112808753043?hash=item1a43ecf793:g:4UEAAOSwG1Naf54X

At one point, I thought they said they were going to activate a way to make offers, but they don't seem to have done so -- unless they expect you just to e-mail them directly. 

16 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Maneely was by far the most prolific pre and post-code Atlas cover artists.  There are loads of good covers to choose from because Maneely was very, very good at his job.

16 hours ago, october said:

It's not an easy book to find, especially in midgrade or better. I was happy to pay a premium for my copy a year or two ago, though it now looks cheap in the rearview. 

001 (221).jpg

Nice copy :applause:  This book goes for crazy money cuz it is a super cool cover.