• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention 2018
3 3

99 posts in this topic

For those of you who couldn't attend the 2018 Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention, here is a cursory peek. It's definitely got that old-time comic convention feel but in a more spacious ballroom at the Westin in Lombard, Illinois. No cos-players (they were at C2E2 some twenty miles east) and very little in the way of new merch (except for pulp reprints and what not). There are several contemporary authors and artists set up, but I'm more focused on the good ol' stuff as I'm sure most of you are as well, so that's what I tried most to capture. It's a show with something for everyone, with some people (including yours truly) hunting two dollar mapbacks and others nailing down some bigger game (like the gent I met who just bagged a Young Allies 1!). The show certainly has its share of great original art as well, from vintage pulp and paperback cover art as well as some killer comic pages. Anyway, as Jackie Gleason used to say: And away we go!!

From these first few pics, you can see it's just us diehard curmudgeons that show up. You'd be hard-pressed to bump elbows with too many people unless someone pulls Robert E. Howard's typewriter out of a 708 box.

46493140.af3c458c.1024.jpg

46493142.c05b904a.1024.jpg

Edited by PopKulture

This booth is a must-stop for serious readers. These guys are the nicest guys to talk to and they boast encyclopedic knowledge whatever the genre: sleaze, JD, hard-boiled - you name it. They made sure I had my reading homework as I freely admitted I'm too focused on the cover art and have too long ignored those little things inside: words.

[46493156.f1de3f8d.1024.jpg

46493160.f38abc0a.1024.jpg

Edited by PopKulture

This seamless row of bookcases spans the booth of a real ERB diehard and a gentlemen who passionately carries on his father's legacy and love for "lost" cities and civilizations - a great genre itself that I admit no immunity to:

46493168.419bfd24.1024.jpg

Edited by PopKulture

I freely admit to stopping by this booth every year to pick up some cool paperbacks, and this show was no exception. I just hope my new Avon Leopard Men and Burn Witch Burn are the upgrades I think they are and not just another dupe!!

p.s. if you look front row middle, you'll see a copy of Elmer Gantry peeking out - the very first Avon paperback!!  :applause:

46493170.4dbf85c9.1024.jpg

Edited by PopKulture

While the Windy City show may lack the pre-Robin Tecs of the larger shows (we'll get to comics later), it holds its own when it comes to killer illustration art. I've been privileged every year to see the works of artists like Avati, Baumhofer, Chiriacka, Saunders, Ward, Gross, Belarski, Freas, Emsh, Finlay, Whitcomb, and on and on - even stuff by James Montgomery Flagg and Joseph Clement Coll.

p.s. The show IS big enough however that we had a Carbo sighting or two...  :whistle:

46493172.2489afc9.1024.jpg

Edited by PopKulture

So many great books at this show, like these beauties in their perfectly pleasing dust jackets:

46493174.1f2c814e.1024.jpg

Whether you're hunting Arkhams or Gnome Press, there's bound to be something here to make you smile. I've even seen things like first state Jules Verne and Bram Stroker's "Dracula." Now THAT'S something you don't see everyday.  (thumbsu

Edited by PopKulture

Back-to-back killer booths from two friendly and knowledgeable art dealers:

46493194.7c98a09a.1024.jpg

To think, I'm happy finding the mags or books that these paintings appeared on while a small handful of lucky folks get to hang the real thing above their mantle. 

Edited by PopKulture