• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention 2018
3 3

99 posts in this topic

Previous post be damned. When I fall backwards into my very own copies of DD Finds Pirate Gold and MM Outwits the Phantom Blot, I promise to reform my evil hoarding ways and devote my time to soup kitchens and the like as there will be little point to waking up early to hit the flea.

46493258.91e7e837.1024.jpg

Purdy. Real Purdy.

Edited by PopKulture

I'm going to wrap with this picture of the art gallery. This year had so much Kelly Freas it made my head spin. Maybe I'll post a few individual snapshots later on, but the little can lights you see in some of the zoomed out photos do make it tough to take pictures of the works with glass frames. Like I'm complaining, right?

Many kudos to Doug, Deb, John and everyone else for making this happen. And happen. And happen...  Your hard work is appreciated.  :applause:

p.s.  Robot Man, you should've warned me how long these reports actually take!  :baiting:

46493270.ef113755.1024.jpg

Edited by PopKulture

Wow Pop, just wow! Outstanding report. Looks like you covered all the bases. Yeah, it's a bit of work to do it right like you did. It is appreciated. I really felt like I was there.

Very interesting show. As I suspected, way more than just pulps. I think I saw more things there that I would have spent my dough on than I've seen on the wall shots of C2E2. Saw a lot of GGA and horror pulps that you just NEVER see anywhere else. Not to mention comics, pbs, art, posters and even some premiums. What a selection. 

Looks like a small show like Terry's. The way I like it. Reminds me of a "paperback" and another paper show we have out here. Also looks like a pretty small crowd and a lot of older folks. We're there many comic collectors there? Any boardies? I know Catrick was going. The guy with the amazing wall of comics seemed out of place. Wonder why he wasn't down the street?

Thanks again for taking the time to post this stuff. Lot of work yes, but very appreciated. 

This reminds me of the Glendale paperback show which is out here once a year. Real old time comics show feel with good prices and an older attendee demographic. Your show is bigger and with better material from the looks of things though. I do like the wide variety at these shows and they are certainly more fun than a SDCC these days for the fan who likes to read his or her comics, pulps or paperbacks.

2 minutes ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

This reminds me of the Glendale paperback show which is out here once a year. Real old time comics show feel with good prices and an older attendee demographic. Your show is bigger and with better material from the looks of things though. I do like the wide variety at these shows and they are certainly more fun than a SDCC these days for the fan who likes to read his or her comics, pulps or paperbacks.

Yep, just what I was thinking myself. The breadth of material is way more interesting than your general large comic book show.

So glad that you posted this. Thanks! We were stuck at C2E2 and couldn't make it to the Pulp Con. I did meet up with one of the dealers after hours to pick up a cool piece of art which I will post later, but I sure would have liked to box dive at this show. It looks like a blast. And Gene Carpenter set up!

Darn it...