• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think constitutes a collectable 'variant'?

34 posts in this topic

Geez, make one little joke... Note to self: you're not funny. tongue.gif

Ok, ok, here you go. I have made a lot of phone calls about this, including Marvel and their printer. I have also called Diamond and various store owners who received them from the distributor. So, here is the dish on the Venom Blacks:

Black ink was printed over the red holo-grafx cover. This happened very early in the printing and once it was discovered, they tried to destroy them all. Roughly 200-300 copies got out but they estimate that it could be as many as 1000. It is thought that the inks were out of order in the printing process.

Since Black Ink was put over the red foil, each book can be slightly different. On some, a little red can be seen through the black ink; on others it is completely black. On some, there is Red Foil around the image edges that can vary in size or be completely absent. The red foil boarder around the image is on the right of some copies and on the left of others. Also, some may still have the slight embossment that is on the regular issue, others have lost that embossment.

Ok, so far there is no definitive way to differentiate them. Here's the kicker. On the regular Venom #1, the upper left of the front cover has the "Marvel Comics" logo in blue, behind mini-Venom. In the Black version, behind mini-Venom is a blue box with the "Marvel Comics" logo barely visible. Also, on ALL of the Blacks, the Black ink is a MATTE, not a gloss or a semi-gloss.

So there are those 2 ways to figure out a counterfeit. We have seen some. They do exist. Look for those 2 things. I am now going to crawl back under my grading rock. Bye!

Also does anyone consider "famous" counterfeit copies as collectable variants?

Personally I wouldn't collect anything that was counterfeit, this will just encourage peolple to produce more fraudulent goods. Not something we should be encouraging in the hobby. frown.gif

Not something we should be encouraging in the hooby.

I can understand that sentiment

BUT

Since, in my opinion anyhow, the major comic companies have about as much loyalty to the fans as a major sports franchise (changing artists and writers frequently, producing a ton of stuff to keep up money flow, coming out with more filler and less substance nowadays) and you have to admit, back issues are where a ton of speculative money can be made (and lost), I dont feel that buying a counterfeit of note is an admission of allowance or acceptance across the board for counterfeit copiers to have a go at it. I dont think in the grand sceme of things that marvel or DC would suffer if someone mimics an ultra hot book, especially if it is caugt as a fake quickly. now the only thing that makes this collectable is the back story that goes with it. Since i dont care if Marvel or DC lose a buck or two, and mostly this only is cost effective for the crooks on already "sold out" books, I think they could be collectable give the right circumstance. The one that comes to mind most is Cry For Dawn #1 where it came to light kind of quickly that it was a fake. this book usually out prices the CFD #1 2nd and 3rd print easily. the other one is the fake Batman 497 Gold edition. These were ALL counterfeit as there was no Gold premium edition Made. these types i could see value in.

The Dictionary.com definition of the term "variant":

var·i·ant ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vâr-nt, vr-)

adj.

Having or exhibiting variation; differing.

Tending or liable to vary; variable.

Deviating from a standard, usually by only a slight difference.

I've always fought long and hard to differentiate between the mainstream variant concept (such as the price-variant, the cover variant, etc.) and the underground comics printing variations. First printing underground comics, much like novels, and soft/hardcover books, fetch the highest premiums, and attract the highest amount of interest. Although I believe first printing underground comics are a different breed of animal, and therefore attract a different breed of collector, I can also see elements of printing variation being built on similar mainstream variant principles.

It goes without saying that I've spent insane amounts of money to attain the holy grails in my underground comic collection, but the determinants in making my purchases are built on factors such as obscurity/rarity and premium grade.

just for kicks and grins, figured i would post this auction here.

Lets see if the Venom #1 black cover is a collectable variant!!

I was actually gonna bid on this, but the price is getting too high for me to get a second one when i could spend the money on a first copy of something else!!

who knows though, i may pop in at the last to give it a run. but anything over 150 and i am totallyout.

There are certainly plenty of Venom books popping up at the moment, and I wondered when one of these would show up.

Venom's appearances in Ultimate Spider-Man have sure sparked interest in the character again.

i know. if this goes real high, i may put mine up laugh.gif

the sad thing is that i had a shot at the splash page from ASM 300 original art for 800 back in the mid 90s and i kind of chuckled it off as way too much money. wonder how much it would go for right now with all the venom craziness? any guesses?