• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think constitutes a collectable 'variant'?

34 posts in this topic

After the crazy $700+ sale recently on ebay of a platinum variant Valiant book, what kind of prices would you pay over the regular book value for a variant?

Also, would you only pay the premium on a genuine published variant or would a printing error also qualify?

As a comic book collector I can understand the challenge of collecting variant books, but how far would you go and how do you define them?

Personally I would only consider a book endorsed by the publisher as a variant but am interested in other views on this.

Great question!!

Personally I have collected for about 25 years off and on and I am able to say that I have collected on occasion different variant books. From Gold, Platinum and Silver variant covers, to printing errors, to DF and alternate art covers. This may seem like a dumb answer but the only ones worth collecting are the ones you personally like. As for speculation, from a guy who is liquidating some of my hundreds of variant marvel and valiants and image comices, They are sheer losers unless you flip quickly. With the exception of proven winners like the old marvel price variants. Even the heat associated with the nabisco Wolverine or the Elektra #3 nude variant will fade quickly. Remember how hot the Venom #1 Black was? That comic sustained two magazines when it first came out (venom mini series and that hero illustrated magazine both became famous off of that one book). people were clamoring to get it. now it is worth about 75-150 book value. sad when I saw dealers passing on 400-500 for it at one time. I have one, I love venom. but the average buyer/seller would have had to flip it within a three month window. any longer just wouldve lost money. that platinum valiant is plain crazy. when more come out, the book will drop. By the time it is recognized as a true variant, the value will be much lower. and now there is no outlet or reason for valiant to get alot of heat except on ebay or the really great www.valiantcomics.com website.

What do you think constitutes a collectable 'variant'

My order of inportance in collecting variants:

Marvel price variants.

Whitmans

Double/triple covers

Mark Jeweler ad variants

Dynamic Forces foil logos, chromium covers, alternate art covers

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on printings with different covers (or same covers, just different printings)

I wouldn't purchase variants either because I believe they are gimmicks. I would, however, buy a book like the elseworlds mistake.

What was the Elseworlds mistake?

And what book is that in your avatar, Mushroom?

Elseworlds was the pulled DC comic (bat on the cover) that contained a panel with a baby in a microwave. A number of comics made it to the UK. I have been waiting to see if the price will fall but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere but up.

web page

Darth, just a question, why do you list double and triple covers so high? are they worth more book value wise or just as a curiousity. Have there been any mass double or triple cover mistakes (hundreds or thousands of one issue) that you know of? just curious as i see alot of talk here about double and triple covers and did not know if they are a recognized collectable or not. I have an ASM 375 double cover but did not think it was worth anything.

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on printings with different covers (or same covers, just different printings)

Darth, do you consider printing errors like the Black venom #1 to be collectable variants?

why do you list double and triple covers so high? are they worth more book value wise or just as a curiousity.

It's just personal preference. Actuall if you look at all double cover auctions on ebay there is one prominent buyer that stands out. Dropping 10x guide on otherwise common books, except it has multiple covers. I think htey are recognized enough. There are a few multiple cover collectors out there - I have an FF99 double cover and an ASM 300 double cover from Monumental (CGC declined grading the ASM double cover because of the overhang being too big; if slabbed they said it would get damaged and no longer hold the grade it was given) - I just think these are neat.

Darth, do you consider printing errors like the Black venom #1 to be collectable variants?

If you mean the VEnom 1 grafx red foil background that is somehow black, then yes it is collectible to me. I never had a chance to won one so I think of it as a novelty. When I said 1st - 4th printings...sometimes like Batman 608 they have different art on the covers, so I pick it up for my enjoyment. Sometimes like GReen Arrow 1 there are 3 printings of issue 1 and the same cover; I just do that because I'm obsessive...and the world will end if I don't get all printings and variant covers of an issue. shocked.gif

Personally, it can't be a gimmick, as in much of the variant/vendor-premium cover BS that is currently being churned out.

Marvel price variants were produced for market research, available on the store shelves at the same time, and were not gimicks. Same with some printing errors (Venom #1) multiple-cover copies, etc.

What I think is a serious waste of money are those "vendor premiums" that are given to stores for X number of copies ordered, and then resold as variants. Those are still retailer premiums in my book, and if the comic in question was never available on the shelf at cover price, then it's not a variant and not worth collecting (for me).

Darth, I own a double-cover of Batman 171. (First Silver Age appearance of The Riddler). Inner cover grades a F+, in my opinion.

Is this anything special?

You seem a bit of an expert on these Double Covers, so would very much appreciate an opinion.

I wouldn't say expert. I've been told otherwise and heard from others here on the forum. Usually the outer cover is lower grade than the inner cover, but some people have claimed the opposite occurs "naturally". There are people who want double covers no matter how "un-key" the issue. For Batman 171, this phenomenon may be even more valuable. Be careful getting them graded by CGC; if the cover overhang is too much (>2mm?) then they may not grade it.

Hello all! Sorry, I've been gone for a while. You've been keeping us all very busy.

Couple of clarifications-- that super baby in the microwave story was reprinted in its entirety in the Bizzaro trade. So the Elseworlds 80 Page Giant has dipped a bit in desirability. For other recalled issues, check out Wolverine #131, Universe X Spidey, and the ever-popular Elektra #3.

Double covers are cool, IMHO. We've even done a quintuple cover (Think it was a Punisher War Journal...)

Also, the Venom #1 "Black" was a printing error. Early in the printing run the black ink was laid over top of the red holo-grafx foil. About 200-300 copies got out, as many as 1000. The rest were destroyed. We have seen some counterfeits. How do you tell? hehehehehe, send it to CGC... shocked.gifshocked.gifgrin.gif

Wolverine #131

I got that one without even knowing it. I noticed one on E-bay and so I went home, looked at mine and found out I had an inadvertent variant. grin.gif

seen some counterfeits. How do you tell? hehehehehe, send it to CGC

So you guys are only in the business of counterfeit busting when it serves you? Nice, way to make the hobby safer. Pat yourselves on the back. I think it's great that you guys keep this stuff secret. It makes it easier for the rip off artist to continue to scam people and we all know how much that helps the hobby. tongue.gif

funny you should mention that counterfeit black venom thing. Having had one since late 94/early 95 I was a bit concerned when I recently heard about the counterfeit thing. I called CGC to see how to tell the difference (had never submitted at this point around 6 months ago). got kind of the same answer, submit to be sure. but I did glean a little out of whoever the grader was I spoke with. the counterfeit copies apparently are a result of the removal of some aspect of the holo grafx cover and not essentially an ink blot on top of it (kind of a simple explanation, not even sure of truth to it, just what I was told). So that is how they distinguish the difference, does it have too much ink, or has it had some removed and replaced. to much=OK anything else=bad.

I would be interested in hearing if this is true or just an easy answer.

Also does anyone consider "famous" counterfeit copies as collectable variants? Maybe not this one as it is not as well known but how about the cry for dawn #1 counterfeit or the batman #497 gold counterfeit edition. I am sure there are others. does anyone collect these?