• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman #151 from Sid's

20 posts in this topic

took this outta the boxes today as a fellow forumite needs only 2 books to complete a run he has got going and I need opinions. didn't make the cut to go to CGC mainly because of the spine wear. shows nicely overall. BC is very nice and White..........

1119865168399_batman_annuals_016.jpg

Curious, what is the run the forumite is trying to complete? How many issues?

all the 12 cent issues of Batman. there are 70 issues, minus the various (5 or so) Giants..............

Curious, what is the run the forumite is trying to complete? How many issues?

all the 12 cent issues of Batman. there are 70 issues, minus the various (5 or so) Giants..............

Awesome. I actually have one of those Giants (issue 208).

6.5/7.0 confused-smiley-013.gif

Agree.

6.5 - 7.0 is what i told him it was............whew.............and i have no problems with opinions down to 6.0, but NO LOWER..... sumo.gif

5.5 poke2.gif

That's a great book. All of your books look so newsstand fresh.

I dunno guys.... doesn't 6.5/7.0 seem a bit generous?

First, it is a great book I'd be happy to own, but it does have some problems.

* Numerous spine stresses and a very stressed lower left front corner.

* Rounded spine corners

* Fuzzy staple holes top staple

* Cover rub with color loss near lower staple

* Multiple small creases LRFC

* 2 inch vertical thumb crease with 2 small tears - right edge (back of reporter's jacket)

If this was in my collection, I'd call it a 5.0, maybe a 5.5 if it has good gloss.

* Rounded spine corners

* 2 inch vertical thumb crease with 2 small tears - right edge (back of reporter's jacket)

If this was in my collection, I'd call it a 5.0, maybe a 5.5 if it has good gloss.

oh boy, you gonna get it from BB now. yay.gif

* Rounded spine corners

nah - i'm not that sensitive............ grin.gif

but this does bring up an interesting point on grading mid-grades.

if you take the often espoused process that Old Guy goes through, for example, you can quickly get to a point where the sum of the defects that you've been adding up, takes you well below what the book actually looks like. for example take a look at that TOS #24 that 's on this forum. by the time you add up everything that's wrong you're into a minus number.

but IMO that's not the way mid-grades get done. there comes a point where it'll take numerous additional defects to reduce the grade further not just another one.

there are folks who believe that book is a 5.5 and Zipper believes this book is a 5.5.

if you even take a quick glance at the two, there's little comparison. the top of the Bats looks almost new while the Tos is pretty beaten up. the TOS spine is "way more" beat up than the Bats. The TOS BC has dust/sun shadow, dirt and a 3 inch long water stain while the bats is white and defect free.

the purpose of these comments is just to show how opinions vary and how difficult it is to grade mid-grade. take a look at the resilts of the couple of mid-grades in the grading contest and you'll get the idea........... 893whatthe.gif

gotta run and get my grade (final?) in and play a little golf.............

* Rounded spine corners

Your points are taken....I think this books has a grade that is a bit higher than the sum of it's defects. So I would knock off the 7.0 for sure........solid 6.0 edging towards 6.5.

* Rounded spine corners

nah - i'm not that sensitive............ grin.gif

but this does bring up an interesting point on grading mid-grades.

if you take the often espoused process that Old Guy goes through, for example, you can quickly get to a point where the sum of the defects that you've been adding up, takes you well below what the book actually looks like. for example take a look at that TOS #24 that 's on this forum. by the time you add up everything that's wrong you're into a minus number.

but IMO that's not the way mid-grades get done. there comes a point where it'll take numerous additional defects to reduce the grade further not just another one.

there are folks who believe that book is a 5.5 and Zipper believes this book is a 5.5.

if you even take a quick glance at the two, there's little comparison. the top of the Bats looks almost new while the Tos is pretty beaten up. the TOS spine is "way more" beat up than the Bats. The TOS BC has dust/sun shadow, dirt and a 3 inch long water stain while the bats is white and defect free.

the purpose of these comments is just to show how opinions vary and how difficult it is to grade mid-grade. take a look at the resilts of the couple of mid-grades in the grading contest and you'll get the idea........... 893whatthe.gif

gotta run and get my grade (final?) in and play a little golf.............

Precisely sumo.gif Time to apply "divad's principle" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

hi.gif