• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What MARVEL characters are ripe for movie exploitation?

59 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Subby.

With the rights being at least loosened up from their previous entanglement this is probably one of Marvels biggest and oldest characters still missing from the cinema universe.

Maybe if Aquaman is strong box office for the WB and DC Marvel might be “inspired” to push him forward finally. Kevin Feige has made no bones about the characters rights situation in the past and wanting to see him in their movie universe.

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

With the rights being at least loosened up from their previous entanglement this is probably one of Marvels biggest and oldest characters still missing from the cinema universe.

Maybe if Aquaman is strong box office for the WB and DC Marvel might be “inspired” to push him forward finally. Kevin Feige has made no bones about the characters rights situation in the past and wanting to see him in their movie universe.

I may be a little confused, but I thought at one point it was you that noted attending a Marvel panel where they clearly noted all character rights other than Sony and Fox characters had been returned. No matter what rights details I had pointed out.

Namor has been one where Quesada stated the movie rights were back, and Feige has consistently noted it isn't that clear cut. That is definitely more the reality from all Feige has pointed out. So you are dead-on with that statement.

20 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Here is a character I always found interesting.

3680458-2836194-__kgrhqzhjecfd_oss5__br_y_k1yp___60_57.jpg

I have to agree. And from Tim Miller noting Fox wanted to use him - and couldn't because Marvel had him back - hopefully something is cooking.

Once Downey, Hemsworth and Evans hang up the boots I don't see a whole lot of blockbusters coming out once everything currently planned is done. 

Downey and the Avengers really is the MCU. Once he is done the best is behind us imo. 

I hope I'm proved wrong though. Would like for it to go on and on but I think it will just lose something once those guys are done.

32 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I may be a little confused, but I thought at one point it was you that noted attending a Marvel panel where they clearly noted all character rights other than Sony and Fox characters had been returned. No matter what rights details I had pointed out.

Namor has been one where Quesada stated the movie rights were back, and Feige has consistently noted it isn't that clear cut. That is definitely more the reality from all Feige has pointed out. So you are dead-on with that statement.

Hulk and Sub-Mariner rights were with Universal. The assumption has been with Hulk that if Marvel uses him in movies it’s ok but a stand-alone movie might result in them having to pay Universal. That’s an assumption but not a fact as far as I know. Kevin Feige has been very clear that Sub-Mariner rights are back with Marvel in that no one else can make a Sub-Mariner movie but Marvel. All he’s added to that is that it’s complicated. A lot of people have assumed it’s something similar to what may be going on with Hulk (if that’s even true). If that’s the case they might be able to use the character in a movie but just haven’t felt it’s the right time yet.

I do suggest caution though with anything concerning rights and Marvel. A few years ago people assumed that Marvel did not have any rights to the Skrulls or Watchers up to the point as suggesting Marvel wanted Skrulls in the first Avengers movie but couldn’t use them. After the Skrulls were announced in the upcoming Captain Marvel film people assumed a deal with a Fox must have been struck. Kevin Feige pretty much shot down all those rumors.

Marvel always had rights to Skrulls and Watchers as races for them to use and didn’t need to ask.

Any comments I make I try and use his words first and the assumptions second because the guesses with Marvel movies have usually been wrong.

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

Hulk and Sub-Mariner rights were with Universal. The assumption has been with Hulk that if Marvel uses him in movies it’s ok but a stand-alone movie might result in them having to pay Universal. That’s an assumption but not a fact as far as I know. Kevin Feige has been very clear that Sub-Mariner rights are back with Marvel in that no one else can make a Sub-Mariner movie but Marvel. All he’s added to that is that it’s complicated. A lot of people have assumed it’s something similar to what may be going on with Hulk (if that’s even true). If that’s the case they might be able to use the character in a movie but just haven’t felt it’s the right time yet.

I do suggest caution though with anything concerning rights and Marvel. A few years ago people assumed that Marvel did not have any rights to the Skrulls or Watchers up to the point as suggesting Marvel wanted Skrulls in the first Avengers movie but couldn’t use them. After the Skrulls were announced in the upcoming Captain Marvel film people assumed a deal with a Fox must have been struck. Kevin Feige pretty much shot down all those rumors.

Marvel always had rights to Skrulls and Watchers as races for them to use and didn’t need to ask.

Any comments I make I try and use his words first and the assumptions second because the guesses with Marvel movies have usually been wrong.

It is a shell game sometimes tracking even the remaining characters shared amongst a few companies. With the Marvel rights thread, there has been a steady saving of any new reference points that help sort out the details. Like Namor. And one of those references is a recent quote where Feige talked about Universal involvement.

Marvel film & TV rights shell game - who owns what?

Namor and associated alliances & villains: News Article #1 (Kevin Feige Confirms Universal Owns ‘Namor’ Rights), News Article #2 (Can Comcast Cash in on the Superhero Craze With a Sub-Mariner Movie), News Article #3 (Is NAMOR THE SUB-MARINER Movie On The Way?), News Article #4 (Could Legendary's Secret 2016 Event Film Be 'Namor'?) News Article #5 (Kevin Feige Clears Up The SUB-MARINER Situation); News Article #6 (Joe Quesada Namor movie rights; News Article #6 (3-9-18: Kevin Feige brings up Hulk and Namor still belonging to Universal).

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It is a shell game sometimes tracking even the remaining characters shared amongst a few companies. With the Marvel rights thread, there has been a steady saving of any new reference points that help sort out the details. Like Namor. And one of those references is a recent quote where Feige talked about Universal involvement.

Marvel film & TV rights shell game - who owns what?

Namor and associated alliances & villains: News Article #1 (Kevin Feige Confirms Universal Owns ‘Namor’ Rights), News Article #2 (Can Comcast Cash in on the Superhero Craze With a Sub-Mariner Movie), News Article #3 (Is NAMOR THE SUB-MARINER Movie On The Way?), News Article #4 (Could Legendary's Secret 2016 Event Film Be 'Namor'?) News Article #5 (Kevin Feige Clears Up The SUB-MARINER Situation); News Article #6 (Joe Quesada Namor movie rights; News Article #6 (3-9-18: Kevin Feige brings up Hulk and Namor still belonging to Universal).

Either way I don’t worry about it or the speculation by fans. There’s more than enough coming out yearly.

A year or so ago who would have thought Marvel could use any of the Fox characters?

2 hours ago, ianh said:

Once Downey, Hemsworth and Evans hang up the boots I don't see a whole lot of blockbusters coming out once everything currently planned is done. 

Downey and the Avengers really is the MCU. Once he is done the best is behind us imo. 

I hope I'm proved wrong though. Would like for it to go on and on but I think it will just lose something once those guys are done.

Wakanda Forever

42 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Either way I don’t worry about it or the speculation by fans. There’s more than enough coming out yearly.

A year or so ago who would have thought Marvel could use any of the Fox characters?

You are not kidding!

If there is one thing that is super-incredible in Avengers: Infinity War, it is all the characters that appeared that you could easily call out from 18 movies. And at least it's not like Star Wars where you have wild character names from the strangest of places to recall.

• IG-88A from Holowan Laboratories
  • Malakili from Corellia
  • Aurra Sing from Nar Shaddaa

Nothing that off-the-wall.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

You are not kidding!

If there is one thing that is super-incredible in Avengers: Infinity War, it is all the characters that appeared that you could easily call out from 18 movies. And at least it's not like Star Wars where you have wild character names from the strangest of places to recall.

• IG-88A from Holowan Laboratories
  • Malakili from Corellia
  • Aurra Sing from Nar Shaddaa

Nothing that off-the-wall.

While we are waiting for Namor if anyone missed this... lol 

http://comicbook.com/2018/04/28/avengers-infinity-war-namor-sub-mariner/

My vote is for Agents of Atlas. I think they'd translate much like the Guardians of the Galaxy. Different, quirky, snarky and totally out of left field C-list team that could make for some great storytelling.

Another great possibility would be from 2010 when Luke Cage buys Avenger's Mansion from Tony Stark for $1 and the New Avengers move in. That roster is VERY doable considering what we may have after Avengers 4 (Avengers: Endgame?) and certain rights have transferred to Marvel: Luke Cage, Doctor Strange, Jessica Jones, Spider-Man, Iron Fist, Ms. Marvel, Wolverine, Hawkeye, The Thing and Mockingbird. Throw in Black Panther and you'd be set. That run - New Avengers Vol 2 - is one of my favorite Avengers runs. If you haven't read it you should give it a try. 

6 hours ago, Readcomix said:

superhero is made for Hollywood 

Two-Gun Kid - Remake the western genre Marvel movie style.

The movie storyboards for team up or cross-over with the Two Gun Kid and Black Panther were published in 1965 so will surely be a Marvel blockbuster:

U0XHhAC.jpg