• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Xmen 1 Signature Series Restored...should I regrade??

14 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone, 

I've been lurking for on these forums for a couple of months and I wanted to get your opinion about my Uncanny Xmen 1 CGC 7.0 Signature Restored Series.  I got it several years ago from a dealer who submitted it himself to CGC and it came back as Restored, due to "interior lightened".  No other restoration was detected/noted.  The dealer stated that it was a shock to him when it came back Restored.  He also felt it was odd that the only restoration noted was that the "interior was lightened"...why would anyone just want to ONLY lighten the interior??  It didn't make sense to the dealer, it doesn't make sense to me either.  So my question is, would it be worth it to get this comic maybe pressed, cleaned, and regraded?  It has never been pressed or cleaned before.  Thank you for your time...

5ae66e7b1e393_xmen1.thumb.JPG.adf934ed2829530de3c7e2bb04f7ce58.JPG

15 minutes ago, Supraman16 said:

Hello Everyone, 

I've been lurking for on these forums for a couple of months and I wanted to get your opinion about my Uncanny Xmen 1 CGC 7.0 Signature Restored Series.  I got it several years ago from a dealer who submitted it himself to CGC and it came back as Restored, due to "interior lightened".  No other restoration was detected/noted.  The dealer stated that it was a shock to him when it came back Restored.  He also felt it was odd that the only restoration noted was that the "interior was lightened"...why would anyone just want to ONLY lighten the interior??  It didn't make sense to the dealer, it doesn't make sense to me either.  So my question is, would it be worth it to get this comic maybe pressed, cleaned, and regraded?  It has never been pressed or cleaned before.  Thank you for your time...

What a beautiful book! :golfclap: 

It's an exceptional 7.0 for sure and it gleams. You cant see through the cover (low transparency), great colors, bright white cover, the book has everything going for it to rate at the top of the exceptional scale for whatever grade it gets.

Personally, I would quit while ahead. Anyone interested in it will see it's a desirable book with a very legible, well placed Lee signature, and take the notes about the interior with a grain of salt. Here's what I'm afraid of. Something caused the graders to feel that the inside pages were lightened. They very well may be, we can't see or feel them. That cover is so white and clean that if resubbed, the next time around, the cover might be included in the notes as lightened. Something might key that off in the grader's mind. A lot of the minute peripherals are a matter of opinion. Whether something is cleaned or not and if so cleaned that it's unrestored or cleaned that it's restored! The book, the staples, etc., etc., some of these opinions are made by even the best graders in the world when sitting atop the fence, balancing. One time the decision may fall on one side, another time on the other. Which is why with a cover this white on an X-Men 1, I wouldn't take a chance having the hole dug deeper.

Edited by James J Johnson

16 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

why not buy the graders notes to see there thought process?

I did. And also called CGC up. There is nothing specific mentioned about what they specifically noticed to account for “interior lightened”.

4 hours ago, Philflound said:

Ask them if this would get a conserved instead of restored. I think cleaning gets conserved, unless maybe it was done by an amateur. Conserved grade is much better than restored.

No, I saw "P" under the grade. It was done by the professional.  It has no chance to be upgraded to unrestored if subbed.  Just leave it as is.

28 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

No, I saw "P" under the grade. It was done by the professional.  It has no chance to be upgraded to unrestored if subbed.  Just leave it as is.

So then it should get a conserved if done by a professional. Like I said, call and ask.

On 4/29/2018 at 8:23 PM, Supraman16 said:

Hello Everyone, 

What is your objective, what results from a CPR resub are you hoping for ? A clean and press will not get rid of the resto. Are you hoping that they will have a different opinion this time about the resto ? Are there flaws that a press/cleaning would help ? This is a really nice looking book with minimal restoration. I just got through reading a thread where two different submitters were complaining that the crack/press/resub caused damage to the book. I believe the one guy submitted a 7.0, in the slab, and it came back 5.5 with a detached staple. I don't want to read about something like that happening to this nice book. IMO, unless CGC says they may change their stance on the resto, leave it alone.

That's one of my biggest fears is that it'll come back with a lower grade due to either more damage from handling the book (opening the case, pressing, dry cleaning, etc) or a change of opinion about the grade (I know CGC is currently extremely strict grading standards compared to before).  I'll definitely check with CGC/CCS if it may qualify for conserved grade...thanks for that idea.  But overall, I don't think i'll be selling this anytime soon so I'll probably hold on to it as is for now.  I definitely appreciate everyone's opinions...thanks.