• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SWAMP THING via DC Digital TV from James Wan (5/31/19)
2 2

210 posts in this topic

Swamp Thing is coming to The CW next week with the DC Universe series getting its broadcast debut on Tuesday, October 6th and while it's an opportunity for a much wider audience to dig into the story of Abby Arcane and DC's perhaps best-loved horror character, it also comes with a bit of a sense of what might have been. The series, which debuted on DC Universe in May 2019, was cancelled less than a week after its first episode's debut and while the streaming service released the ten episodes of the first (and only) season, there had originally been plans for 13 episodes. According to series star Crystal Reed, those three cut episode would have explored Abby Arcane's family life.

Speaking to CBR, Reed explained that had those three cut episodes would have taken the story into what she described as more of a character piece about Abby than the first ten episodes had presented.

"That was a hard phone call to receive, because I think we were all kind of flying high and feeling like we were accomplishing something beautiful," Reed said. "But, you know, these things happen often to shows that have been on forever, and it's not uncommon. So, we just roll with the punches."

"But what we were going to find out, what we were going to learn more of, if there had been more episodes, is about Abby's mom and her dad," Reed continued. "For me, that would have been something really cool, and then also there was going to be a lot more going on with a bunch of other characters. So yeah, I think that her family -- it was going to become much more of a character piece, much more of an Abby Arcane show than the first 10 episodes, I suppose."

Swamp Thing follows Reed's Abby Arcane as she investigates what seems to be a deadly swamp-born virus in a small town in Louisiana, but soon discovers that the swamp holds mystical and terrifying secrets. When unexplainable and chilling horrors emerge from the murky marsh, no one is safe, especially Alec Holland (Andy Bean) who transforms into the Swamp Thing creature (Derek Mears.) The series is expected to draw inspiration from Alan Moore's iconic run, particularly the "Anatomy Lesson" issue.

While the series ended up with first a shortened first season and then was cancelled altogether, it's upcoming The CW debut has given fans hope that the series could still get a second season, something network president Mark Pedowitz addressed earlier this year.

"At the moment, it's just the one season," Pedowitz explained. "I do not know if it would come back. Obviously, that would be a discussion for Warner Bros. and The CW. But at this time, Swamp Thing is just the episodes we have."

Why Swamp Thing Is What The CW Needs Right Now

The arrival of Swamp Thing on The CW couldn't be more perfectly timed. Beyond coinciding with what would have been the start of the new fall television season, the one-season-wonder of the DC Universe streaming service is a perfect Halloween treat for horror enthusiasts and the sort of show that holds broad appeal for The CW's core demographics.

Created at the height of the horror comics revival of the 1970s, Swamp Thing was a monster hit for DC Comics. The original series centered around Dr. Alec Holland; a botanist who was doused with chemicals and left for dead in the swamp hiding his secret lab by gangsters after the secrets of his research. Transformed into a plant-man, Holland struggled to make sense of his new form while hunting down the criminals responsible for transforming him and killing his wife. Comics' legend Alan Moore would later redefine the character, turning him into a guardian of the environment while also increasing Swamp Thing's powers to allow him to control the plants around him. Swamp Thing has been a horror icon ever since, thanks in part to Moore's work, a 1982 film adaptation written and directed by Wes Craven and a television series which ran for three seasons. Hopes were high for DC Universe's attempt to revive Swamp Thing with a new streaming series overseen by Aquaman director James Wan. Sadly, despite winning over critics and fans alike, the new Swamp Thing series was canceled with only a single episode having aired.

Given the drama behind the original production, many were surprised when The CW announced that they would rerun all ten episodes of the new Swamp Thing series as a summer fill-in. Despite the network needing new material to fill its schedule in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, Swamp Thing seemed like an odd fit for The CW, despite a schedule full of other adaptations of DC Comics' properties. The CW is largely viewed as a youth-market and most of its programming is aimed at teens and young adults, making a horror series centered around two thirty-something scientists seem like a tough sell.

The CW wound up delaying their rerun of Swamp Thing until the fall, though no reason was given for the delay. The timing, however, seems incredibly fitting for several reasons. Many young people celebrate Halloween as a month-long festival rather than a single holiday, seeking out spooky entertainment all through October. Swamp Thing's story is a perfect fit for the spirit of the season. The horrific tone is also a good match for the aesthetic of Supernatural, the longest-running series on The CW.

The weird romance at the center of Swamp Thing is another factor to be considered. Many of The CW's most popular original series have centered around romantic dramas between supernatural beings. While Swamp Thing Season 1 barely had a chance to touch upon this, there was a hint of something growing between Dr. Abby Arcane and the titular swamp monster. Certainly, the show has enough going for it that network president Mark Pedowitz has said he is open to reviving the series and supporting a second season of Swamp Thing on The CW. That gives fans of the show ample reason to watch it again on The CW and spread the word to those who might not have seen it yet.

I caught part of the episode last night.....

Acting was general, or nothing too amazing

If I'm honest it seemed the regular people being introduced seemed to lull me so bad I changed the channel :shy: 

BUT I caught the ending and the music or overtones of swampy growing throughout the swamp and boat fastly, then coming together in full form to move slowly was hmmmmmmm

I didn't really know how to react, it ended kind of uneventful. 

I'm still hopeful, and if I can swing the house on a permanent watch of it lol last night not too much luck :pullhair: 

12 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

If I'm honest it seemed the regular people being introduced seemed to lull me so bad I changed the channel :shy: 

BUT I caught the ending and the music or overtones of swampy growing throughout the swamp and boat fastly, then coming together in full form to move slowly was hmmmmmmm

I'm still hopeful, and if I can swing the house on a permanent watch of it lol last night not too much luck :pullhair: 

Sorry the entire story of the originally planned 13 episodes didn't come together for you in the PILOT episode. Though then WB cut it down to 10 episodes, unfortunately.

:baiting:

It was a foundational introduction to the main characters without revealing much of the details. So more to keep the mystery atmosphere in place. Otherwise, the viewer complaint would be "OH MY GOD - THEY JUST TOLD ME EVERYTHING!"

Know what I mean?

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:
1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Sorry the entire story of the originally planned 13 episodes didn't come together for you in the PILOT episode. Though then WB cut it down to 10 episodes, unfortunately.

:baiting:

It was a foundational introduction to the main characters without revealing much of the details. So more to keep the mystery atmosphere in place. Otherwise, the viewer complaint would be "OH MY GOD - THEY JUST TOLD ME EVERYTHING!"

Know what I mean?

They didn't need to have the whole story in one episode (shrug) what I stated was they didn't have anything going on to keep people of my household motivated, between the over the top sequences they meant to drive it home. I didn't say anything about the plot, but I did call the filler kind of anticlimactic.......

I don't see that as a harsh review of a one episode review that I didn't even watch the whole thing

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I didn't judge the whole series is what I'm saying, just saying there was nothing captivating about what I saw last night lol not that it has to mean anything, I just happen to watch haha

so far I'm the only one to post

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

basically if I can, I'll see about watching other episodes 

But last night it was a bunch of me saying.

"Ok this is a Marvel flic, based on a comic!" :roflmao: so I didn't make a lot of head way, I feel bad about it too :foryou: 

Seemingly nothing else on the boards to contribute to, so I'll continue doh!

It was also on at a weird time last night a major contributing factor

I watched a show from 7-8pm only to change and see swamp thing had 35 minutes remaining

So presumably it was on from 7:30-8:30 so other than that

The cgi was good  :)

TV Ratings: NBA Finals Rebound With Game 4, Swamp Thing Grows CW Slot

In the latest TV ratings, ABC’s coverage of the NBA Finals on Tuesday night averaged 5.3 million total viewers and a 1.9 demo rating, up sharply from Game 3‘s fast nationals (4 mil/1.5) to mark the championship series’ best preliminary numbers since its Sept. 30 tipoff.

THE CW | Swamp Thing (1.1 mil/0.2) gave the network’s 8 o’clock hour its largest audience since May 19 (DC’s Stargirl), and the 90-minute period its best audience since Feb. 4.

I didn't judge the whole series is what I'm saying, just saying there was nothing captivating about what I saw last night lol not that it has to mean anything, I just happen to watch haha

so far I'm the only one to post

Is that really your 'SEE IT ISN'T GOOD' evidence? :baiting:

Go back through the thread where folks were watching this when it originally aired on the DC Universe. Or did you forget this is the same content on a new channel? :kidaround:

basically if I can, I'll see about watching other episodes 

But last night it was a bunch of me saying.

"Ok this is a Marvel flic, based on a comic!" :roflmao: so I didn't make a lot of head way, I feel bad about it too :foryou: 

:roflmao:

You stretching it thin.

:baiting::foryou:

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Is that really your 'SEE IT ISN'T GOOD' evidence? :baiting:

Go back through the thread where folks were watching this when it originally aired on the DC Universe. Or did you forget this is the same content on a new channel? :kidaround:

I never said it wasnt good