• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SWAMP THING via DC Digital TV from James Wan (5/31/19)
2 2

210 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I'm going to bet on the post-credits surprise referencing the awesome cross over in issue #53. It will be something easily filmed, so perhaps Swamp Thing saying he needs to leave the swamp, as he feels the green pulling him towards another place where he is needed. Abby will ask where that is, to which Swamp Thing will reply "I am unsure. The green only whispers one word........Gotham".

The series finale of Swamp Thing was released on DC Universe Friday morning, bringing an end to one of the most bizarre stories in television this year. The show itself has been fantastic from the jump, but the story surrounding its production clouded the majority of its release. After getting its episode cut from 13 to 10, Swamp Thing was cancelled following the release of the premiere. All of that news put a damper on an otherwise great series as a lot of fans chose not to get invested in something that had already been axed.

All of that leads to Friday's finale, which had people talking due to some comments from executive producer Mark Verheiden. Earlier in the week, Veriheiden tweeted about a big surprise in a post-credits scene at the end of the final episode. Since a show that had already been cancelled likely wouldn't have much to tease, fans had a variety of different thoughts as to what the scene could include. Everything from a crossover with Constantine to an announcement about a renewal on another platform was guessed at one point or another. The scene has now arrived on DC Universe and the results aren't what anyone expected.

Spoiler

swamp-thing-floronic-man-1181484.jpeg?au

The post-credits scene follows Matt Cable through a lab that has been ransacked, trying his best to find the culprit. Instead of a person, he finds a menacing looking tree-creature (think Groot, but terrifying). The creature reveals that he used to be the man known as Jason Woodrue.

Of course, if you're fans of the Swamp Thing comics you'll know exactly who this character is. The villain's name is Floronic Man, and he seemingly kills Matt Cable when the camera cuts away for the final shot. It seems as though the character was being set up to be the antagonist of the second season, or perhaps over the final episodes that were swapped around when the order was cut by three.

Regardless, Floronic Man's design is pretty flawless, making the cameo even more disappointing than before. It's frustrating to see what could have been had Swamp Thing not been cancelled so early.

5 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

I couldn't give this a shot because I was so put off by the bad makeup and costumes. Everything just looks so rubbery. Is that not the case?

Well, other the foam floaties on each arm and the green sweatpants with 'JUICY' across his butt, it has been okay.

:shy:

Of course it doesn't look like a rubber suit.

:baiting:

:insane:

How To Watch DC's Swamp Thing

Fans can expect to see the new Swamp Thing episodes released at 6 am PST/9 am EST on Fridays. DC Universe is currently only available to subscribers in the United States and some US territories. Subscriptions cost $7.99 per month, though there is an yearly subscription option of $74.99 per year that offers a cheaper monthly rate when paid up-front. The service is expected to make its way into Canada sometime before the end of 2019.

A release date for Swamp Thing outside of the United States has yet to be confirmed. It is suspected, however, that it will follow in the footsteps of DC Universe's first original live-action series Titans and a deal will be made with Netflix regarding the international distribution rights. Netflix currently carries both Titans and the third season of the animated series Young Justice in nations other than the United States. Sadly, nothing has been said yet regarding when Swamp Thing might be available outside of the USA or when the DC Universe streaming service might be available in other countries.

Edited by Bosco685

On 8/3/2019 at 1:29 PM, Bosco685 said:

That post-credits scene was so cool. I am glad they went full-horror with this show.

Hide contents

Spoiler

I'm so happy the Floronic Man is being explored - i actually thought by the end that Sunderland was going to be revealed as becoming corrupted by evil and becoming 'Arcane'.  I really wish however they didn't just make him look like an outright green Swamp Thing clone - him being somewhat more human looking (with all the thorns and wood skin in the comics) and with some more brown/orange color on him would have been a great way to visually contrast Swampy, as well as remaining skinny to contrast Swampy's bulky silhouette. Seems like the same problem most Marvel movies end up having with a villain very close in design to the hero (antman, iron man, black panther).

Edited by Sauce Dog

Overall a somewhat decent ending to the series, but the cut in budget and shortening of the series is really felt in this episode. The final confrontation between Swamp Thing and the mercenaries felt cheap - with all the action being dark, rushed and simply some vines popping into frame occasionally. This was an encounter that could have had so much potential, and been built up to feel like it was suspenseful (something that felt like the first Predator movie) but I feel production caused it to be one of the major sacrifices. Likewise the dialog involving all these mercs is just typical stuff we've heard a million times before, rather uninspired and seemed lazy ("we're not hunting him.....he's hunting us!").

Once again Woodrue steals the show, with his scenes seeming like a Hannibal-esq spinoff that I would have loved to see more of.

Also mostly nitpicking, but if you have a phone with you in the trunk of a car you can still send text messages - especially if it is shown to have a full battery, signal, and the person inside is fully able to use it (and actually does...but only as a flashlight!!!). That was maybe the silliest moment of the show. Of course this can easily be retconned in a season 2 to reveal she DID end up sending a single text at the last moment, but that would be the only way the writers could be forgiven for an otherwise eye rolling moment.

Enjoyed the final episode. End credit scene was fantastic but who cares if we never get to see this play out.

It took me about 45 seconds to find the Cancel Subscription button after the final credits rolled.

I'll re-up if and when DC/WB brings the show back.