• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending "good" books in for pressing?

20 posts in this topic

I may be doing this wrong, but the submission process for CGC/CCS tends to be restrictive in that people cannot break apart their submissions without paying twice for return shipping. For example, if I have 10 books I'd like to submit for grading, I generally only want to pay for return shipping once. Because of this I need to ensure I submit all 10 comics together as part of the same order. My question is ... if I submit all 10 books in for pressing, but only 8 of those books need pressing (other 2 look very good as is) ... will CCS continue to press all 10 regardless? or will they use judgement to press or not to press (if not needed)? I plan to use full service and no screening.

I thought their rule was to press until there's nothing more to press. So to use an extreme example and your response ... if I submit a 10.0 book to CCS, they will still mindlessly proceed with book pressing? Doesn't make sense to me.

I have never heard of not pressing a book that was sent in unless there are defects that pressing won’t fix. In that case it makes no sense to press.

they would still press a book with no noticeable flaws just to ensure the 9.8 grade.

23 hours ago, MagicMan_2017 said:

I thought their rule was to press until there's nothing more to press. So to use an extreme example and your response ... if I submit a 10.0 book to CCS, they will still mindlessly proceed with book pressing? Doesn't make sense to me.

It's not their job to determine whether or not the book should be pressed. I mean, you paid for it... so obviously you want it!  Are they really expected to make a determination on _every_ book, slow down the process, and call the customer if they don't feel it will get a 0.5 bump (subjective and not their job / area of expertise!)? Seems unreasonable.

Edited by SilverSniper

22 hours ago, MagicMan_2017 said:

Makes perfect sense to me. Many submit for pressing 'just in case'. Let me ask you a question. If they didn't press those two 'perfect' books and they ultimately grade lower than expected, would you complain about it ? :baiting:  It's up to you to decide what books to submit for pressing and you are correct that putting those two in a different submission would result in extra shipping charges. 

We could turn drag this on ... but I can see you're not getting my point. Read CCS description ... it says it will it continue to treat, if defects remain. So by definition there is an element of human judgement to determine if any more pressing is needed. So going back to my question, if a CCS presser was to see that a book has no visible defects, I don't believe they will send it through press unnecessarily. And lastly, the fact that anyone thinks pressing can actually get them a 9.8 or higher is out to lunch. Pressing can improve grading, but likely never to a 9.8 or higher. Oh well, thanks for trying.

1 minute ago, MagicMan_2017 said:

We could turn drag this on ... but I can see you're not getting my point. Read CCS description ... it says it will it continue to treat, if defects remain. So by definition there is an element of human judgement to determine if any more pressing is needed. So going back to my question, if a CCS presser was to see that a book has no visible defects, I don't believe they will send it through press unnecessarily. And lastly, the fact that anyone thinks pressing can actually get them a 9.8 or higher is out to lunch. Pressing can improve grading, but likely never to a 9.8 or higher. Oh well, thanks for trying.

You are so far off base no one can help you.

Many many many thousands of books have been pressed to 9.8, 9.9 and 10’s

Do some more research.

On 5/7/2018 at 5:42 PM, MagicMan_2017 said:

... if I submit a 10.0 book to CCS, they will still mindlessly proceed with book pressing?

Probably not. But you will see a bill regardless. lol

9 minutes ago, MagicMan_2017 said:

You said in your original post that you were NOT using CCS screening. This means they don't screen the book for pressing, they simply press. From CCS website....

Raw books, CGC-certified books and non CGC-certified books may be evaluated by CCS. The CCS Screening service determines whether pressing should be performed. If CCS believes that pressing would not benefit the comic, you will pay only the screening fee. 

16 minutes ago, MagicMan_2017 said:

TLDR: Hi, I'm new and am not experienced, so I could use your help. I would appreciate it if everyone would agree with my preconceived notions as, though I am obviously inexperienced, I am certain I already know the correct answer. Thanks. P.S. I'm not using pre-screen, but I expect my books to be pre-screened. Makes sense, right?

Edited by SilverSniper

29 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You said in your original post that you were NOT using CCS screening. This means they don't screen the book for pressing, they simply press. From CCS website....

Raw books, CGC-certified books and non CGC-certified books may be evaluated by CCS. The CCS Screening service determines whether pressing should be performed. If CCS believes that pressing would not benefit the comic, you will pay only the screening fee. 

Read my previous post carefully. You're missing the point. So then the only scenario where your explanation makes sense is essentially Regular press is just a Quick Press done over and over again??? If no judgement or review is ever done, then let me ask you ... how many times will they run it through press? 2X, 3X, 4X? and how will they know when to stop? ahhhh .... human discretion is needed. And I don't know ... but have heard on other posts that spot presses may be involved. So again, personalized judgement.

30 minutes ago, SilverSniper said:

TLDR: Hi, I'm new and am not experienced, so I could use your help. I would appreciate it if everyone would agree with my preconceived notions as, though I am obviously inexperienced, I am certain I already know the correct answer. Thanks. P.S. I'm not using pre-screen, but I expect my books to be pre-screened. Makes sense, right?

Sure it makes sense. If you truly understand what a pre-screen is. Many people don't want to subject their books to pressing, if not necessary. But my question is different, ... would they press, if there are no defects to press out .... hahaha i find this hilarious.

1 hour ago, faster friends said:

You are so far off base no one can help you.

Many many many thousands of books have been pressed to 9.8, 9.9 and 10’s

Do some more research.

There aren't even hundreds in census at 9.9 or 10.0!?!?!? WTF? And where in the world would you even find out how many were pressed into 9.8+? That's not even known or public info. You just shot your credibility. 

1 hour ago, MagicMan_2017 said:

But my question is different, ... would they press, if there are no defects to press out .... hahaha i find this hilarious.

If you do not prescreen then YES, they will press, even if there are no defects. This is the same answer everyone has given you but you seem to think the answer doesn't make sense ? I think the problem here is that you have the wrong impression of the pressing service. This statement by you, indicates to me, that you have a total misconception of the process....'If no judgement or review is ever done, then let me ask you ... how many times will they run it through press? 2X, 3X, 4X? and how will they know when to stop? ' What the heck are you talking about ?

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If you do not prescreen then YES, they will press, even if there are no defects. This is the same answer everyone has given you but you seem to think the answer doesn't make sense ? I think the problem here is that you have the wrong impression of the pressing service. This statement by you, indicates to me, that you have a total misconception of the process....'If no judgement or review is ever done, then let me ask you ... how many times will they run it through press? 2X, 3X, 4X? and how will they know when to stop? ' What the heck are you talking about ?

Let me spell it out for you CLEARLY ... REGULAR PRESS IS DONE MULTIPLE TIMES. QUICK PRESS IS DONE ONCE ONLY. Is this concept hard to understand? So if you can understand this concept, then my follow up question is ... If REGULAR PRESS IS DONE MULTIPLE TIMES ... there MUST be human assessments done to determine when to stop the multiple pressing. Not sure how much simplier and clearer I can make this.  Sooo, if you can follow the bouncing ball ... then the third follow up is that if HUMAN ASSESSMENTS are in fact involved, then there is a degree of screening involved, no? But if you still don't get it, I accept that.

9 hours ago, MagicMan_2017 said:

Let me spell it out for you CLEARLY ... REGULAR PRESS IS DONE MULTIPLE TIMES. QUICK PRESS IS DONE ONCE ONLY. Is this concept hard to understand? So if you can understand this concept, then my follow up question is ... If REGULAR PRESS IS DONE MULTIPLE TIMES ... there MUST be human assessments done to determine when to stop the multiple pressing. Not sure how much simplier and clearer I can make this.  Sooo, if you can follow the bouncing ball ... then the third follow up is that if HUMAN ASSESSMENTS are in fact involved, then there is a degree of screening involved, no? But if you still don't get it, I accept that.

Dude, I don't know where you are getting your information but you are misinformed. Multiple pressings for each Regular press submission is not normal procedure. Also, you are the newbie coming here to ask us questions. Why the attitude ? I'm trying to work with you here to understand and clear up your misconceptions but you are yelling and being derogatory. Your current conception of how the pressing service works, where they keep pressing, over and over again is wrong. Maybe, if you are paying for a same day Walkthru service, they will evaluate, spot press or do it again on occasion but not for the Regular service. Please, if you reply, try keeping it civil. All CAPS shows a bad attitude.