• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this unacceptable or is it just me?
4 4

213 posts in this topic

You are not being unreasonable and media mail shipping for a $6000.00 book is completely asinine.  Anyone spending 6 grand on a comic has the right to expect, at the very least, that the seller will ship the item at least within USPS regulations.  The seller didn't even do that, and there is no excuse for it.  I hope the book gets to you in the condition you expect, and if it doesn't, ship it back to the seller, get your money back and let the seller deal with the fallout if there is any.  Either way, I hope you out this seller here on the boards and give him a neutral (at best) feedback so that any future buyers know what to expect from this guy.

36 minutes ago, manetteska said:

A lot of push-back on this topic; are you the seller?

Just read his name and you should realize that engaging with him in a discussion is gigantic waste of time.

For one thing. I would never buy a book that expensive from someone I don't know, there are too many scam artists out there.

I have never been burned with this method.

With that said I don't care if it's a 20.00 book or 20,000.00 book. I expect it to be packed well , and shipped as quickly as possible. 

1 hour ago, DeadOne said:

Isn't it standard practice for ebay to have the boxes for signature confirmation and insurance already checked off for transactions over a certain dollar amount? If so, the seller had to uncheck those boxes before he paid for and printed the label off of ebay.
I guess they could have taken it directly to the Post Office and paid the old fashioned way.(shrug)

Really unacceptable and reckless behavior on part of the seller, imo. I hope the purchase arrives safe and sound. :wishluck:

Everybody should learn a lesson about packing and shipping from you Bryan.

Edited by oakman29

3 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

For one thing. I would never buy a book that expensive from someone I don't know, there are too many scam artists out there.

With that said I don't care if it's a 20.00 book or 20,000.00 book. I expect it to be packed well , and shipped as quickly as possible. 

what grade is that GL 76 in your sig?

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

A lot of push-back on this topic; are you the seller?

It's on the seller to purchase insurance for the item, opt for tracking, and/or signature upon delivery. If the item does not arrive to the buyer in the condition stated in the listing, all fault (money-wise) is on the seller. That is why the seller is asked if they want insurance when going through eBay's shipping process and not the buyer at the time of purchase. It is up to the seller to build this in to the cost (item + shipping); if he/she chooses to skimp on this part, it comes back to them.

Yes, the buyer could have made more inquiries into specific shipping, but it is still not a guarantee of method and/or secure packing.

No, I am not the seller and do not know the seller or the buyer and have never had any dealings or communication with either party. What you call push back, is just an opinion. I realize it is not popular. 

1 hour ago, Tempus Fugit said:

Shipping Fail.

At that level I am shipping Certified, insured with sig. I am happy to eat the $75-100 or so on a $6K buy.

So this dude spent like $6. Really? I am a thrifty fellow, but there is a point where it just gets stupid and risky.

I am sure it will turn out fine, just really poor decision making on the part of the seller

Medium flat rate priority mail box = $13.75 + registered mail, about $13 = $27 or thereabouts. That should be sufficient. it wouldn't cost near $75.

50 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

AND be able to be tracked online. First and foremost. Buyer and seller should be able to both see the location or last location of that parcel at all times.

7 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Medium flat rate priority mail box = $13.75 + registered mail, about $13 = $27 or thereabouts. That should be sufficient. it wouldn't cost near $75.

Was considering insurance. I shipped a 6K book registered to NY with Ins and I think it was around  70, maybe my memory is incorrect. 

Anyway - we are debating .5% to 1% of the sale as a shipping cost, which does not seem like a big deal in either case.

OP - Care to share a link to the auction?

1 hour ago, Tempus Fugit said:

Was considering insurance. I shipped a 6K book registered to NY with Ins and I think it was around  70, maybe my memory is incorrect. 

Anyway - we are debating .5% to 1% of the sale as a shipping cost, which does not seem like a big deal in either case.

OP - Care to share a link to the auction?

Let me give you the lowdown on insuring antiques (comics) through carriers. It's a losing proposition. I can only imagine just how much money ebay sellers waste on insuring "antiques" through the post office and Fed Ex every year.

First off, the less expensive way to insure is to use registered service. That will cost you about $12.50 for the basic service added on to whatever the priority charge is. Lets say you're sending a package from coast to coast. A medium flat rate box is $13.75 and registered service is about $12.50, so = $26. That comes with $100 worth of insurance, automatically, for all the good insurance will do you on an antique with the post office if there's a claim.

While adding $5000 worth of insurance to that priority service (the limit) will cost you almost $50, about a rate of $1 per each $100 worth of insurance, if registered and the initial $12.75 is paid for that service, with it's $100 worth of insurance, to insure for $6000 (limit is $25,000 for registered) will only cost about $20 a fantastic savings vs. not registered. So $26 + $20 for a medium flat rate priority box, registered-insured for $6000, quite a savings.

So as a seller, you're thinking you're covered with the insurance if something goes wrong, right? Here's why you're not. Like Fed Ex, even if the post office accepts assignment and allows you to pay for the insurance, if push comes to shove and a claim must be filed, once the fact that the item was/is an "antique", what shipping companies blanket designate as any vintage item that is no longer manufactured, you're going to have a huge uphill battle trying to get this claim settled!

Carriers go by "replacement value" to settle claims. Not what you say it's worth, and not what the buyer paid. Replacement value is determines by what it would cost by manufacturer invoice to replace. Since the item is no longer being made, it can't be replaced through the manufacturer. This isn't like insuring a pair of shoes or watch or iPhone still being produced.

Best bet is to have any item being transacted listed and insured as personal property, category-collectible, through your own insurance carrier. That way, nothing can go wrong. IMO, anyone who insures a comic through USPS is wasting their money, which they will soon find out if a claim for loss or damage must be filed.

Edited by James J Johnson

4 hours ago, oakman29 said:

+1

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

Let me give you the lowdown on insuring antiques (comics) through carriers. It's a losing proposition. I can only imagine just how much money ebay sellers waste on insuring "antiques" through the post office and Fed Ex every year.

First off, the less expensive way to insure is to use registered service. That will cost you about $12.50 for the basic service added on to whatever the priority charge is. Lets say you're sending a package from coast to coast. A medium flat rate box is $13.75 and registered service is about $12.50, so = $26. That comes with $100 worth of insurance, automatically, for all the good insurance will do you on an antique with the post office if there's a claim.

While adding $5000 worth of insurance to that priority service (the limit) will cost you almost $50, about a rate of $1 per each $100 worth of insurance, if registered and the initial $12.75 is paid for that service, with it's $100 worth of insurance, to insure for $6000 (limit is $25,000 for registered) will only cost about $20 a fantastic savings vs. not registered. So $26 + $20 for a medium flat rate priority box, registered-insured for $6000, quite a savings.

So as a seller, you're thinking you're covered with the insurance if something goes wrong, right? Here's why you're not. Like Fed Ex, even if the post office accepts assignment and allows you to pay for the insurance, if push comes to shove and a claim must be filed, once the fact that the item was/is an "antique", what shipping companies blanket designate as any vintage item that is no longer manufactured, you're going to have a huge uphill battle trying to get this claim settled!

Carriers go by "replacement value" to settle claims. Not what you say it's worth, and not what the buyer paid. Replacement value is determines by what it would cost by manufacturer invoice to replace. Since the item is no longer being made, it can't be replaced through the manufacturer. This isn't like insuring a pair of shoes or watch or iPhone still being produced.

Best bet is to have any item being transacted listed and insured as personal property, category-collectible, through your own insurance carrier. That way, nothing can go wrong. IMO, anyone who insures a comic through USPS is wasting their money, which they will soon find out if a claim for loss or damage must be filed.

I bought a comic for a $100 and it was insured by the seller. It arrived damaged.  I filed a claim and after three long months I got my money back. So I guess there is a limit when the Post Office starts to reject your claim.  Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, musicmeta said:

I bought a comic for a $100 and it was insured by the seller. It arrived damaged.  I filed a claim and after three long months I got my money back. So I guess there is a limit when the Post Office starts to reject your claim.  Thanks for the info.

That's pretty much the norm. You'll have a much better chance of being reimbursed on an insured $100 item than an insured multi-thousand dollar item.

In today's eBay, with sellers either gauging on shipping or offering "Free Shipping" but using poor packaging and slow boat freight options, it's not a shock nor surprise.

I'd be upset if I paid a shipping fee of the $15 or more it costs to ship via Priority Mail, or even at $10 or so.

If the shipping charge was $5 or under or Free, I'd come to expect something that poor, with Media Mail.

But for something that costs $6k, many sellers are so dense, they don't realize how easy it is for a buyer to claim non-receipt, seller fraud, damaged good, etc for a scam or refund, that it's in the buyer's best interests to protect their interests even if it costs them a bit of their own out of pocket money.  

The seller should have sent it priority mail, well packaged with signature confirmation and insurance.  

13 hours ago, darkstar said:

Just read his name and you should realize that engaging with him in a discussion is gigantic waste of time.

The name was actually awarded to me years ago, in place of the name I was using, by another board member. I have proudly and with humbleness tried to live up to it.

To reverse paraphrase the words another board member uses (constantly), "I don't discuss. I debate".

8 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

But for something that costs $6k, many sellers are so dense, they don't realize how easy it is for a buyer to claim non-receipt, seller fraud, damaged good, etc for a scam or refund, that it's in the buyer's best interests to protect their interests even if it costs them a bit of their own out of pocket money.  

The seller should have sent it priority mail, well packaged with signature confirmation and insurance.  

The seller must at minimum have signature confirmation to protect themselves.  At $750 or greater transaction amounts, regular delivery confirmation is not enough with PayPal.  You will lose a dispute with the buyer for "Non Receipt" without a signed delivery, even if they actually receive it.  I'd like to know if this policy has changed in recent years or I was under the wrong understanding hm