• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you collect?

46 posts in this topic

Hey Comic Fans!

Just got an interesting email from a forum member. His reply to me sparked my interest in posting here. Basically he told me that he collects one book from each title in a certain genre. Wow! That got me thinking. I'm your basic completionist collector. I collect Silver Surfer, ASM, and New Trend ECs (and read moderns for fun...I keep em but really don't know why). I want to have each book & title in my collection. I pay attention to condition, but I am not a big stickler for it as my interest in filling holes overrides my attention to condition. Plus, I'm a reader, so CGC boxes hold little thrill for me as I want to turn the pages on my books. I do collect higher graded CGCs for key or sentimental issues, but overall I want to have an ASM collection that ranges from Amazing #15 to #441 and an EC collection that includes every New Trend book.

So the big question is...how do you collect comics? Do you collect key issues? Are you a completionist? Do you have some bizarre way of collecting? Let me know...

David Skelton

Mine is a potpourri:

ASM's 1 - 300 - Highest grade I can afford in CGC (for when my son is 21. 17 years to go)

B&B's 1-100 - Highest grade I can afford in CGC or Raw.

Flash Comics - Any early Hawkman in any grade CGC or Raw

Batman 95 - 225 - Highest grade I can afford in CGC or Raw

Warren Vampirella - Raw

DD's 1-200 - Readers

Bad Girl GA - Any Grade (mostly raw, Jungle, Jumbo, exciting etc)

GA or SA Books with cool covers (non Marvel)

I probably will be broke soon.

Keeping with the Gold Comics theme... tongue.gif

I am attempting a full run of Golden Age Cap in F/VF 7.0 or better..which will be next to impossible b/c owning them all would cost as much as it does to own a two-story house. tongue.gif

Brian

That's kind of funny because I remember back in 94 selling a Cap #1 in F/VF to go towards a down payment on a two-story house I was building. smile.gif

Right now I collect:

Golden Age keys

Good girl art (but brunettes only on the covers)

Liberty Meadows

Bone

did collect (but finished):

The Arrow, Groo, Dr.Strange/Strange Tales, Ekgren covers (hey there's only two of them), Amazing Spidey, Surfer (1st series), Xenozoic Tales and what I thought were the best covers from a run (Supey #14, Bat #11, etc).

Hey Murph - do you have a USA Comics #7? I've always thought that was one of the best 2-3 Captain America covers

See? You can either have a G.A. Cap run or have a 2-story house..simple as that..

As for the USA book, I am sticking with just the Cap title. Although that's a pretty cool cover, it's going to be impossible for me to complete my Cap run and that's without having to worry about his non-title appearances. :\

Might do low grade copies of those books..

I also collect ASM and Strange Tales..I see a lot of people on this forum who are Strange Tales collectors, yet the census #'s are so incredibly low for anything pre #135..what gives? :\

Brian

Mushroom;

Interesting that you bought up your son & ASMs. My son (age 10) collects with me. I took the whole family to the recent Portland, OR comic book show and now they're all bugging me about attending the San Diego show...they LOVED IT! So when your boy gets a bit older, perhaps he'll enjoy collecting with you.

My son and I both love the ASMs (he has laid claim on them). We don't completely have the same taste in collecting as he loves Venom and I dabble in 30's & 40's Disney, but it is fantastic to be able to have a hobby together. Keep collecting!

By the way...my daughter (age 9) loves Spider-Girl and is convinced that they will be worth a fortune some day...lol.

David Skelton

Murph...yes...maybe I should have posted this in Comics General...hmmm...rookie mistake.

The 4 year old is already a fanatic around spidey. He knows all the villians, he watches all the animated shows and watches the spidey movie at least once a week. I think I am warping his mind though, he can't understand why he has to look at the books behind hard plastic (probably thinks they come that way) and for the high grade raw books I have he is not allowed to touch (he is always telling my wife "that they are Daddy's books and I can't touch them").

To compensate, I buy him a bunch of low grades that he can do with however he likes and I also buy Wizard each month for him because they always have a lot of good art and plenty of different characters for him to see and I always enjoy seeing a wizard book torn limb from limb (he is probably the only wizard reader in the world that doesn't go straight to the prices section).

It is good to see that forum member's with kids are at least ensuring that another generation of comic lovers will exist.

There are very easy rules at my house. Comics in bags are DADDY'S. Comics out of bags are for Thomas. He's 7 1/2. Much much more into Yu-Gi-Oh. There's a crossover that none of the companies have done yet - a Yugioh comic.

I collect

Superboy (First Series)

Superman (First Series)

Action Comics

I have a nearly complete run of the Superboys, now I'm working on upgrades.

I am limiting myself to Superman from 150 up and Action from 250 up just to keep it real. Though I do have some older issues of both titles. I just pick them up if they are at a good price. I have no real expectations of ever getting complete runs of those two titles.

I used to collect and read Batman, 'tec, WW, JLA, but I had to stop and now I'm trying to get rid of them (though I might keep some of the Perez WWs).

Then there's Savage She-Hulk and Sensational She-Hulk. Those aren't going anywhere!

But I don't buy new comics, not even Action or Adventures of Superman. I figure if I really need to complete the run, these newer (post 1998) issues will be dirt cheap and easy to find.

In general, the core collection right now is:

Batman from 1 up, although the immediate goal is soon to be 125 up. (I have 162 up except for 42 1990s books.)

Daredevil 1 up, Vol 1 and 2.

Green Lantern vols 2 and 3 from 1 up (incl the showcase issues)

I'm also picking up

Misc golden age, especially good girl books

ECs, mostly in the FN range since that's what I can afford best.

RIght now, I'm concentrating on collecting E.C.'s and Atlas Pre-Code books, along with other horror like American Comics Group(to a lesser extent). I already have a near complete set of Russ Cochran's E.C. reprints(I'm only missing the war stuff), but there is something special about owning the original books that caused such a furor in the early fifties. Plus, the Cochran reprints are beautiful, but they are modern comic book size. I prefer the Golden Age size of the original E.C.'s.

I've also acquired a few E.C. Picto-Fiction books, and these haven't been reprinted yet. I'm having a hard time finding SHOCK and CONFESSIONS ILLUSTRATED, but I'm sure my quest will be over for these some day soon.

I would go on...but I don't want to ruin this thread. tongue.gif

On a more serious note...I am more of a completionist and once I get going on any title or artist run, I tend to focus on it until it is complete laugh.gif

I have never been a completest and never will be, unless you include one shots in that definition, which is my favorite type of book to collect.

I am also partial to collecting by whether or not the cover appeals to me...and , as I've mentioned before I collect #1s...

I like to keep my reasons for collecting simple.... wink.gif

(Yu-Gi-Oh started as a comic in Japan, and is serialized in the U.S. in Shonen Jump.)

My GA collection is what I can find/afford, which is to say, not much. I love Fawcetts, especially Marvel Family, and Fawcett's Funny Animals. I still get a kick of seeing the original issue of a story I first read reprinted in "Shazam!" in the 70s.