• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how do you handle the question, "How much is this comic worth?" from flippers?
2 2

120 posts in this topic

On 5/14/2018 at 12:58 PM, NoMan said:

an example of what i mean:

Comics are worth millions these days. Everyone know this. With the endless success of MCU and DC movies those of us who have loved the medium for the story/pictures/history for years know that if you stumble upon some comics in your garage, you are holding thousands and thousands of dollars in your hands. The riches are endless. Also with the success of "reality" shows such as Storage Wars and like all of us know that if you just show up to a storage locker auction and bid, whatever is inside is worth thousands. No work is involved. Especially comics. You just have to find out from "someone into comics" how many thousands and thousands they're worth. 

So I have found on many occasions, I am that person who is "into comics" so coworkers and friends of friends and  such send their friends to me to find out "how much these comics are worth?" and how best to find the person that's going to throw huge money at them for their comics. In other words, let me do the work for them.

Up until now I have handled it as the nice guy I am: I attempt to tell the truth. Comics are best when enjoyed for the story and art and their worth is directly proportional to that. Most comics are only worth that and nothing else. At about the 75 second mark in my response I notice the eyes in the person I'm talking to begin to dim and eventually go vacant. This is not what they want to hear and therefore I am not speaking the truth. Comics are worth thousands and are a gold mine and I'm suspect because, even though I have collected and appreciated comics for 40 years, I'm not telling them what they want to hear.

So, how to proceed? Being a nice guy and taking my time to tell people the truth is not working so I'm wondering what to do.  Perhaps?:

"I don't know! Don't collect comics anymore"

Hide from people. Most ALL people?

or ???

because as I say, taking my TIME to tell people THE TRUTH is not working and I'm tired of it.

There is so much data out there on comics and baseball cards it's VERY tough if not impossible to get into the business without a lot of capital to invest up front. Then you add certification, and people know even more about value.  You can handle the situation a couple of ways.  If you inquire about a collection or books for sale, you can proceed by putting an offer out there up front.   If someone has inherited a collection that didn't cost them anything, $5k for a $10k collection in cash up front sounds pretty good if there are bills to pay.  If someone inquires about what books are worth you can say that you charge for appraisals, that way you are paid even if they pass altogether in offering them to you. On the other hand, if they ask you what an item is worth up front, you must be honest but can get into your spiel about benefits of selling to you directly versus going to an auction house.  Customer services and business ethics are so out of control these days if you are honest with people up front they may deal with you to avoid headaches and shady business practices found elsewhere.

I'd imagine the major dealers out there doing comics full time are having to buy at 50% to 75% of guide to stay in business.  There are always exceptions (extremely high grade, hot, scare key issues, etc.) where there margins are thinner and they can afford to pay more. Comic book dealing, baseball cards, etc. -anywhere there is a lot of pricing data out there in the open - takes the right amount of luck and a hell of a lot of work to survive longterm.

Edited by HENRYSPENCER

32 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

There is so much data out there on comics and baseball cards it's VERY tough if not impossible to get into the business without a lot of capital to invest up front. Then you add certification, and people know even more about value.  You can handle the situation a couple of ways.  If you inquire about a collection or books for sale, you can proceed by putting an offer out there up front.   If someone has inherited a collection that didn't cost them anything, $5k for a $10k collection in cash up front sounds pretty good if there are bills to pay.  If someone inquires about what books are worth you can say that you charge for appraisals, that way you are paid even if they pass altogether in offering them to you. On the other hand, if they ask you what an item is worth up front, you must be honest but can get into your spiel about benefits of selling to you directly versus going to an auction house.  Customer services and business ethics are so out of control these days if you are honest with people up front they may deal with you to avoid headaches and shady business practices found elsewhere.

I'd imagine the major dealers out there doing comics full time are having to buy at 50% to 75% of guide to stay in business.  There are always exceptions (extremely high grade, hot, scare key issues, etc.) where there margins are thinner and they can afford to pay more. Comic book dealing, baseball cards, etc. -anywhere there is a lot of pricing data out there in the open - takes the right amount of luck and a hell of a lot of work to survive longterm.

I find the exact opposite is true: People will not follow the advice of an expert when asked. 

54 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I find the exact opposite is true: People will not follow the advice of an expert when asked. 

(thumbsu

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

Never.  They want to hear confirmation.  That's all.  Nothing less.  Don't give it and you get the angry stare.

especially with the internet and Google.com. 

Everyone knows everything. Years and years of hard work and study and personal hands on experience counts for nothing. 

a big fat comfy chair and Google.com is all you need. You are the expert. 

Edited by NoMan

My LCS guy when he gets these folks and says it's not worth anything they often say YOU'RE JUST TRYING TO RIP ME OFF!  Even when he explains he doesn't want the books, even for a nickel, and will happily prove it by ripping them in half, they still think he is TRYING TO RIP THEM OFF.

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

Only when that expert is keeping them from a dream of fabulous prizes.

If there's no benefit to the asker either way, they'll take the advice of an expert.  

Example:

Person: "I'm trying to get to this location..."

Expert:  "Let me see.  OK, go this way, then that, etc."

That's advice that will be followed.

But, if you include the dream of fabulous prizes...

Example:

Person: "I'm trying to follow this treasure map..."

Expert: "Let me see.  OK, go this way, then that, etc."

Person: "They lied. They want the treasure. We'll go the opposite way."

It's why people consistently believe in things that can be proven to be untrue or extremely unlikely... the dream fabulous prizes, secret treasure, sky cake, etc.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

If there's no benefit to the asker either way, they'll take the advice of an expert.  

Example:

Example:

It's why people consistently believe in things that can be proven to be untrue or extremely unlikely... the dream fabulous prizes, secret treasure, sky cake, etc.

good point. 

Edited by NoMan

8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Example:

Example:

Trying to tell someone no you cannot earn $1000 a week working at home like it says on the flier can be difficult.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Trying to tell someone no you cannot earn $1000 a week working at home like it says on the flier can be difficult.

You have to up the ante.  Promise unlimited happiness forever after death.  That sells. :kidaround:

Jumping back on topic, I can usually find a similar item in the sold category on Ebay... then I just show that on my phone. 

It's not worth $50 like you thought because the last one that sold on Ebay was $2.14... and that was to someone who wanted it.  Imagine trying to sell it to someone that didn't even want it. 

57 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Everyone knows everything. Years and years of hard work and study and personal hands on experience counts for nothing. 

Yet still the people we are talking about never think to use it.

Baffles my mind considering how connected everyone is these days.

I received a text last week from a friend. His non-comic friend just picked up a stack of about 20 comics for $1 each. My friend recognized one as possibly good, and texted me to ask what it was worth. The book? ASM 129, about Good to Good+ condition. The rest of the lot was pretty low grade ASMs around the same era and probably worth the buck each. That's probably the first time I had the question "how much is this worth" actually contain a gem!

2 hours ago, grayzr said:
3 hours ago, NoMan said:

Yet still the people we are talking about never think to use it.

Baffles my mind considering how connected everyone is these days.

I remember many years ago, possibly before Google, but definitely after eBay, the local archaeologist I worked with discovered some bottles in a survey, and he was telling me about all the hours of research it would take to figure out their origins.  I said, "have you tried eBay?"  Duhhh - I went to eBay and found the same bottles, and it even had all the history of the companies to go with them, etc.

It's always been an assumption by the general public.

Even when I started reading comics in the 70s, and buying them because I enjoyed the material and cared a lot about the medium and little about their monetary value, the first comment from practically anyone would be 'Oh, I bet they're worth something.'   

It becomes quite an annoying conflict of primary interests, after 40 tedious years of repetition.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I remember when you could hit "view all" to see all the responses on one page.  I can't do that anymore so I am too lazy to click next page... 

$3.50

Seriously... I may be the only one who gets what I said but I smile when saying it. 

I sympathize.

-set up at a local comic show and have guys ask you questions about books you have on display to sell because they have a copy. They have no interest in buying what you have for sale, they just want to take up your time with questions and they are not going to sell their books to you.

"yes that CGC 9.8 copy is $300."

"Really? Wow, I have one." - of course, the copy they have is raw, and probably a VF 

I guess it depends if you are in the position of wanting to buy comics for resale. If you are, then you need to talk to these people and give them the brief honest truth. The reason? Yes you will tell 100 different people the honest truth and accomplish nothing but then the 101st guy has stuff you actually want, and he does sell it to you for your reasonable offer.

Edited by Artboy99