• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how do you handle the question, "How much is this comic worth?" from flippers?
2 2

120 posts in this topic

Just now, Antpark said:

I usually say something to the effect of "I don't know, I don't collect those titles" or "I don't concern myself with the value, I just read the stories".

I then refer them to LCS #1 and LCS#2

Nope. Don't work.

"Well, what do you think they're worth?"  "Where is the LCS?" "What's the phone number?" "What's the address?"

Still doing someone's work for 'em.

My response: "I hate to break it to you, but 95% of modern comics sold from the 90s onwards are like cars.  They lose value as soon as they leave the store.  If I were to sell my collection, I would probably get $0.25/book if I'm lucky.  Only a handful of "key" comics are worth anything.  Check eBay."

I'm sure a con man could figure out a way to bilk these people as greed is essential for most cons.

5 minutes ago, NoMan said:

ALL of these answers involve me TAKING MY TIME to WORK to get people out of THEIR irrational fantasies. 

IT'S NOT MY JOB!

More understanding and less intolerance? (shrug) You have to deal with people if you're going to live in society, that's just how it goes.

all my life I've tried to DO THE FOOTWORK AND RESEARCH myself before I approach someone with knowledge. I try to ask questions that are formed to not be the same as everyone elses question. 

I've gone far in the film biz because I've approached cinamtoraphers and directors by KNOWING their work, etc.

anyways...

Just now, kav said:

I'm sure a con man could figure out a way to bilk these people as greed is essential for most cons.

it's just not worth the time even if you were dishonest. I mean it's all junk. Junky junk. the junkiest junk.

Just now, Martin Sinescu said:

More understanding and less intolerance? (shrug) You have to deal with people if you're going to live in society, that's just how it goes.

I know. I'm ready to move into the woods far far away and begin acting strange. 

I mean I'm only two issues away from completing my Xmen 94 - 150 run (need 102 and 107 raw 9.4 - 9.6 unpressed) and have my Simonson Thor reading run which I've never read!

Edited by NoMan

Just now, NoMan said:

it's just not worth the time even if you were dishonest. I mean it's all junk. Junky junk. the junkiest junk.

Oh its worth the time if you can bilk a couple thousand from someone who thinks Youngblood #1 must be valuable.

I was just telling my mom when I took her for italian food on mother's day, that I thought comics were "art".

She looked at me and sad, "No, they're not". And that was that.

It shocks me that there is this "following" that people ask other's who have "read" a comic what they're worth.... I mean do these people not have kids and such to help?

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was just telling my mom when I took her for italian food on mother's day, that I thought comics were "art".

She looked at me and sad, "No, they're not". And that was that.

It shocks me that there is this "following" that people ask other's who have "read" a comic what they're worth.... I mean do these people not have kids and such to help?

no. it's laziness. going to an expert without doing the slightest bit of work yourself.

5 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Nope. Don't work.

"Well, what do you think they're worth?"  "Where is the LCS?" "What's the phone number?" "What's the address?"

Still doing someone's work for 'em.

"I don't know, off hand -- you should be able to find them online".

Everything after that is "I don't know". They'll eventually get frustrated and leave you alone.

My boilerplate response these days:

"Most comics aren't worth anything at all. To get an idea of what you have, look up completed eBay auctions, that should give you a ballpark, but it all depends on the condition of your book. Good luck!"

38 minutes ago, NoMan said:

an example of what i mean:

Comics are worth millions these days. Everyone know this. With the endless success of MCU and DC movies those of us who have loved the medium for the story/pictures/history for years know that if you stumble upon some comics in your garage, you are holding thousands and thousands of dollars in your hands. The riches are endless. Also with the success of "reality" shows such as Storage Wars and like all of us know that if you just show up to a storage locker auction and bid, whatever is inside is worth thousands. No work is involved. Especially comics. You just have to find out from "someone into comics" how many thousands and thousands they're worth. 

So I have found on many occasions, I am that person who is "into comics" so coworkers and friends of friends and  such send their friends to me to find out "how much these comics are worth?" and how best to find the person that's going to throw huge money at them for their comics. In other words, let me do the work for them.

Up until now I have handled it as the nice guy I am: I attempt to tell the truth. Comics are best when enjoyed for the story and art and their worth is directly proportional to that. Most comics are only worth that and nothing else. At about the 75 second mark in my response I notice the eyes in the person I'm talking to begin to dim and eventually go vacant. This is not what they want to hear and therefore I am not speaking the truth. Comics are worth thousands and are a gold mine and I'm suspect because, even though I have collected and appreciated comics for 40 years, I'm not telling them what they want to hear.

So, how to proceed? Being a nice guy and taking my time to tell people the truth is not working so I'm wondering what to do.  Perhaps?:

"I don't know! Don't collect comics anymore"

Hide from people. Most ALL people?

or ???

because as I say, taking my TIME to tell people THE TRUTH is not working and I'm tired of it.

Easy!  Just tell them to:

1) Go to eBay

2) Type in the title of the item them have

3) Click on "Sold Items" on the Show Only category on the left tool bar side

4) Sort by Lowest, or Highest or Most Recent to show the historical precedent of actual sales to get a good range and recency analysis 

5) Then, unclick "Sold Items" to see who's selling the same item in question, if there's any bids or "buy it now" offers to see what the competitive landscape is for the item being sold now.

There's no need to explain more or do any work for these people, even if you know info, it's speculative at best, and this is the best way for pedestrians to get actual valid information of actual transactions... since a comic shop can put up a comic book with a price tag of $50 all day long and if it sits on the shelves, it's probably not worth $50 or at least isn't a bargain, otherwise someone would have bought it, so he simple fact that it's available for purchase tells you the price might be too high. Same with eBay and all of the "Buy it Now or Best Offer" listings or those with a high minimum bid yet no bids that keeps getting relisted waiting for an impulsive sucker who doesn't comparison shop.

Ok here's the con a la slippin Jimmy:
Guy asks what Youngblood #1 is worth.  Theyre in a bar, say.  Other guy goes wow I'll give you $200 for that book!  Wow ok.  Sold.  Guy goes to sit at table with his comic.  Other guy comes up and sits down.  You just sold a comic?  Wow I'm a comic dealer what book was it?  Youngblood #1.  YOUNGBLOOD #1???  How much did you sell it for???  $200.  OMG That book is worth $20,000!!!  If you can get it back I'll give you 20 grand cash!! Guy stews for a bit.  Goes back and says he changed his mind he wants to buy the comic back.  Well, I'll sell it back-for $5,000....

Edited by kav

2 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I know! Miricle Man, too. Man I've got some fine reading in front of me. Starting to think about putting a reading run of Byrne's work on FF together. 

Both of those are great too!