• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how do you handle the question, "How much is this comic worth?" from flippers?
2 2

120 posts in this topic

I had and have this question presented all the time about numismatic and philatelic items, due to assumptions by people that think I know something. I used to go out of my way to describe things (I still do when it is a dedicated youngster). I came to a point that I would tell the person that I don't buy what I appraise, because the market is ever changing and I would not want to mislead anybody. I would then suggest they go to a reputable site (PCGS/NGC etc.), where they would be best informed and up to date.

sorry. I had a rant moment.

like kid's who intern on the sets i'm on. been at it for two weeks and wondering why they're not heading up 100 million dollar pictures already. i know you can dissect the staircase scene shot-by-shot in Battleship Potemkin and can tell me what Brain Depalma's had for brkfast but can you get me a coffee?

and than what does it say about me when I start to think, "wow this is a hard task for this kid. not Hollywood glamourous and all that so maybe I should just do it myself. 

I need thearapy and I believe i need it now

Edited by NoMan

I like to go OMG!!  And start hopping up and down I CANT BELIEVE YOU HAVE THIS BOOK!!!!  Then run screaming away down the street leaving them holding the book.

Edited by kav

7 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

I had and have this question presented all the time about numismatic and philatelic items, due to assumptions by people that think I know something. I used to go out of my way to describe things (I still do when it is a dedicated youngster). I came to a point that I would tell the person that I don't buy what I appraise, because the market is ever changing and I would not want to mislead anybody. I would then suggest they go to a reputable site (PCGS/NGC etc.), where they would be best informed and up to date.

there was someone with a rather large stamp collection at a table at the vintage toy and robot con I went to in Los Angeles the other week.

Good sign? or not?

Edited by NoMan

8 minutes ago, kav said:

I like to go OMG!!  And start hopping up and down I CANT BELIEVE YOU HAVE THIS BOOK!!!!  Then run screaming away down the street leaving them holding the book.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

there was someone with a rather large stamp collection at a table at the vintage toy and robot con I went to in Los Angeles the other week.

Good sign? or not?

good sign. A very good sign.

Just now, 1Cool said:

They are really, really bad flippers if they are asking you how much books are worth.

They are. And it doesn't stop them from asking. 

perhaps flippers is the wrong word. they don't give a rat's azz about comics except that they've come across some and now want to know how rich they are. 

Edited by NoMan

Back in the 80s my LCS guy used to tell me teens would call up all day long asking what such and such a book was worth.  "How much is FF #58 worth?"  30 min later "How much is Iron man 22 worth?".  This went on all day long.

But seriously - letting people down easy is a great skill for life.  I've had a few friends or friends of friends who have asked me to look at their stuff and I take a look and give them an honest answer.  Quick and to the point.  I refer them to E-Bay sold items if they don't believe me.  You can't usually change peoples mind when they are made up so you just have to tell it like it is and get out quick if it looks like a waste of time.

Edited by 1Cool

Biggest disconnect I've experienced with folks who ask this question is...understanding how much condition impacts value. They instinctively think the spread between high grade and dog poop grade is minimal... "But one sold for $XXX on eBay"... Yea, well...see....that one had a cover. lol

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

an example of what i mean:

Comics are worth millions these days. Everyone know this. With the endless success of MCU and DC movies those of us who have loved the medium for the story/pictures/history for years know that if you stumble upon some comics in your garage, you are holding thousands and thousands of dollars in your hands. The riches are endless. Also with the success of "reality" shows such as Storage Wars and like all of us know that if you just show up to a storage locker auction and bid, whatever is inside is worth thousands. No work is involved. Especially comics. You just have to find out from "someone into comics" how many thousands and thousands they're worth. 

So I have found on many occasions, I am that person who is "into comics" so coworkers and friends of friends and  such send their friends to me to find out "how much these comics are worth?" and how best to find the person that's going to throw huge money at them for their comics. In other words, let me do the work for them.

Up until now I have handled it as the nice guy I am: I attempt to tell the truth. Comics are best when enjoyed for the story and art and their worth is directly proportional to that. Most comics are only worth that and nothing else. At about the 75 second mark in my response I notice the eyes in the person I'm talking to begin to dim and eventually go vacant. This is not what they want to hear and therefore I am not speaking the truth. Comics are worth thousands and are a gold mine and I'm suspect because, even though I have collected and appreciated comics for 40 years, I'm not telling them what they want to hear.

So, how to proceed? Being a nice guy and taking my time to tell people the truth is not working so I'm wondering what to do.  Perhaps?:

"I don't know! Don't collect comics anymore"

Hide from people. Most ALL people?

or ???

because as I say, taking my TIME to tell people THE TRUTH is not working and I'm tired of it.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

I call myself the 'bearer of bad news' because 99% of the stuff I'm offered is junk.

I explain it like this:

Most books after the early 70's are not worth a whole lot unless they are absolutely perfect Mint (they have no idea what a 9.8 is but that eliminates any books that have any wear that is visible to the novice).

And the reason  they aren't worth much is because people began hoarding them because they realized they were worth something - so high supply = low valuation.

I do explain that there are some books from the last 35 years that are worth something but they make up a very small percentage of the books released in the last 4 decades.

4 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Biggest disconnect I've experienced with folks who ask this question is...understanding how much condition impacts value. They instinctively think the spread between high grade and dog poop grade is minimal... "But one sold for $XXX on eBay"... Yea, well...see....that one had a cover. lol

I once saw a coverless book on ebay listed as Mint.  I asked seller wtf.  He angrily said that 'the part of the book that is there, is MINT'.  I offered to sell him a mint copy of AF 15 which consisted of a piece of the cover about 1 inch square.  The part that was there, was 'mint'.  

i guess i got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. i'm sure i've asked my fair share of stupid questions.

I do say and will continue to say I do think I put in some effort before I just rattle off questions. 

I can't seem to complete my HG raw xmen run and maybe that's bothering me. Perhaps a Go Fund Me page so others can do the work for me? Please don't take this as a slight on Go fund Me projects with merit. 

51 minutes ago, kav said:

Back in the 80s my LCS guy used to tell me teens would call up all day long asking what such and such a book was worth.  "How much is FF #58 worth?"  30 min later "How much is Iron man 22 worth?".  This went on all day long.

They wanted to know which of their older brother’s comics to steal.

21 minutes ago, kav said:

I once saw a coverless book on ebay listed as Mint.  I asked seller wtf.  He angrily said that 'the part of the book that is there, is MINT'.  I offered to sell him a mint copy of AF 15 which consisted of a piece of the cover about 1 inch square.  The part that was there, was 'mint'.  

He had it listed at Mint price, too-I guess he saw no difference between a book with a cover, and one without it.