• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$5,000 to invest... what in?!
1 1

59 posts in this topic

On 5/18/2018 at 7:20 PM, flipper112 said:

Hey guys, I'm a very casual investor in Ireland but want to start doing a little more. So, I've $5,000 burning a hole in my pocket and I was wondering what would you advise? Spend it all on one? Or buy a few? Which ones would you go for and would you go for a high grade and a lesser comic or would you do the opposite? 

FYI, I've been looking at a Hulk 181 (8.5) but the guy wants $3,600 and I think it's overpriced. Would love your advice and thoughts!

A one post wonder named :facepalm: flipper112 asking about "investing" in comics. 

Edited by Erik Thorvaldsson

It seems to me that you have your dixi straw in the same well as about a billion other people, who, would all follow their own advice if they had the cash to spare, but right now, books aren't moving much in resale value and it's been pretty much that way for a while in the more modest conditions offered up. Pristine material just doesn't operate on that level.

I'd suggest a rather different approach which would take work. Run some ads in papers offering to buy collections that are just gathering dust in attics. No paper is really too small to do that with. You'll get a lot of junk and don't offer much for groups unless you can see clear value. Go to flea markets. Most people don't get rewarded for doing the same thing everyone else is doing, like looking at ebay and a bunch of hyperinflated prices.  In my mind collecting anything involves beating the bushes.  

I would invest in old label cgc grades . Back in the day pressing and cleaning were regarded as a no no but now there is a treasure trove of grades that were strictly graded that can turn into a grade or 2 more if conventional measures are taken which are accepted now

On 7/2/2020 at 8:08 PM, Erik Thorvaldsson said:

A one post wonder named :facepalm: flipper112 asking about "investing" in comics. 

No need to insult someone asking questions on a forum where we are here to help one another

1 hour ago, ablue said:

No need to insult someone asking questions on a forum where we are here to help one another

He is a God and can do whatever he wants. Old thor came down from his position above us in asgard to lay the hammer down upon someone lowly minion who posted here 2 years ago. Now we all wait to be graced with his presence again whenever that day may come. 

39 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

He is a God and can do whatever he wants. Old thor came down from his position above us in asgard to lay the hammer down upon someone lowly minion who posted here 2 years ago. Now we all wait to be graced with his presence again whenever that day may come. 

"... the prejudices people feel about each other disappear when they get to know each other." 

I don't know of your "God" he may have come after my time

Edited by ablue

I invested in comics for 10 years or so. 2 years ago I pretty much stopped investing for any real profit. If you are just starting now you are too late imo. From 2008 to 2012 it was easy. Nick Fury told you the avengers were coming and you seen what tales 39 did. Go stockpile 1st appearances of avengers members. Wow people will pay for villains, what villains are likely to show up. Who else can show up on arrow flash. What other street level heroes could get a Netflix show. 

It still works that way, and can still be done. Problem is all the A and B, most the C list characters are used up. Most of the remaining ones are already speced on. And good luck guessing who comes next. You make real money on a silver age hero. Other problem is so many speculators now. 

You could go buy a blue chip key and hope it gains value every few years. I don't feel great about that for an investment. 

You can buy pretty much any marvel 1st Appearance the day it comes out and sell it for $15. Sometimes more.

Personally if I was forced to spend 5 grand on comics I would hit the dollar bin and buy 5000 books. Lame 1st Appearances and cover art from someone who could be the next big thing. Every month you will have a few books that you paid a buck and can sell for $15 to $30 I had more but got distracted. 

8 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

I invested in comics for 10 years or so. 2 years ago I pretty much stopped investing for any real profit. If you are just starting now you are too late imo. From 2008 to 2012 it was easy. Nick Fury told you the avengers were coming and you seen what tales 39 did. Go stockpile 1st appearances of avengers members. Wow people will pay for villains, what villains are likely to show up. Who else can show up on arrow flash. What other street level heroes could get a Netflix show. 

It still works that way, and can still be done. Problem is all the A and B, most the C list characters are used up. Most of the remaining ones are already speced on. And good luck guessing who comes next. You make real money on a silver age hero. Other problem is so many speculators now. 

You could go buy a blue chip key and hope it gains value every few years. I don't feel great about that for an investment. 

You can buy pretty much any marvel 1st Appearance the day it comes out and sell it for $15. Sometimes more.

Personally if I was forced to spend 5 grand on comics I would hit the dollar bin and buy 5000 books. Lame 1st Appearances and cover art from someone who could be the next big thing. Every month you will have a few books that you paid a buck and can sell for $15 to $30 I had more but got distracted. 

It's never too late bro. So many avenues still.

Edited by ablue

27 minutes ago, ablue said:

It's never too late bro. So many avenues still.

Most people will with agree with you. I have plenty of spec books still but I don't think returns are going to be as good as the last decades. Not even remotely close. 

Now if you are talking about ff 1-5 or 48 49, x-MEN 1 giant size asm 14 15 I already sold those so that's what I think about them as investment books. 

On 7/4/2020 at 2:06 AM, Myowncollector said:

Most people will with agree with you. I have plenty of spec books still but I don't think returns are going to be as good as the last decades. Not even remotely close. 

Now if you are talking about ff 1-5 or 48 49, x-MEN 1 giant size asm 14 15 I already sold those so that's what I think about them as investment books. 

Can I (cautiously) ask your opinion on Journey into Mystery annual 1( 1st Hercules) ? Do you see any potential in that book? 

4 hours ago, Nazirite said:

Can I (cautiously) ask your opinion on Journey into Mystery annual 1( 1st Hercules) ? Do you see any potential in that book? 

Can you foresee an event that would cause a spike in the popularity of the character?  That’s the first thing to consider, media.

Movies? 
tv or streaming’s show?

animated?

featured heavy role in a comic story?

evaluate the recent history of the character in those mediums, and see if you think there are future opportunities, if/why marvel would pursue them, and if they would cause a value increase.  

in my opinion those things are not likely to happen, other than maybe appearances in animated shows, not his own show

there have been two non marvel movies recently that were not hits, he got a push after world war hulk in the comics already, and it’s not obvious where he would fit in the mcu at all, other than maybe wanda vision.  And the love for Hercules mulligan in Hamilton has not helped the value.  

so I don’t think the comic would crash for any reason, but doesn’t seem like any reason to rise in stature either.  

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

yeah, Disney is working on a live action Hercules film 

:banana:

In my face! Still don’t anticipate any comic movement but what do I know? 
looks like a remake of the cartoon, including music as opposed to marvel.  I’m not sure it has anything to do the comic, but you might be able to trick some people if you buy low now and sell at the trailer.

I wouldn't put this kind of money into comics. You really need money to burn to invest in collectibles since you never know when you will be able to sell them.Of course I understand as I also have some rare comics that I don't even wanna think about selling at the moment. My choice though hast to do mainly with the value that I know they will have in the next 10 or 15 years and it would be a shame to sell it for 10 times less than what I'm supposed to get out of them.What is the length about Steve Karl and his investments https://www.juststartinvesting.com/steve-carell-net-worth/ and honestly the biggest lesson I got was having more and more patience with my financial decisions.

Edited by sigband