• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade this JIM 83 please...

19 posts in this topic

I was thinking about taking this book to the Heroes con next weekend and have the guys take it back to Florida with them for grading. I was thinking about putting it up on ebay if it gets an ok grade. I actually bought this book off the stand sooooo many years ago, so it has a lot of sentimental value. What do you guys think it would grade out at? Is it worth slabbing, or would I get just as much selling it raw? Thanks — Rick. 848280-JIM83f.jpg

848280-JIM83f.jpg.9588cde2e6adceb4ec268c0390e27793.jpg

A nice 3.5/4.0! I would definitely recommend that you have it slabbed if you wish to sell. You will get more money for it, and the book will be a lot easier to sell, especially if you intend to list it on eBay. The book looks good enough that potential buyers will be more wary of restoration, so a blue label will give them assurance and confidence when bidding.

A nice 3.5/4.0! I would definitely recommend that you have it slabbed if you wish to sell. You will get more money for it, and the book will be a lot easier to sell, especially if you intend to list it on eBay. The book looks good enough that potential buyers will be more wary of restoration, so a blue label will give them assurance and confidence when bidding.

I agree with the 3.5/4.0 as well.

In this grade, I don't think slabbing will bring much of a premium. However, it may be a slight benefit in terms of assuring bidders that there is no restoration. It's a toss up...

If it was me, I'd probably save the slabbing costs and time and list it raw with big scans and offer a full refund guarantee in the event resto is detected. Just a guess, but my sense is that any extra you get for this book if it was slabbed would be outweighed by the slabbing fees.

sounds about right to me. i think a 4.0 might be on the generous side due to the big corner creases and missing pieces, but overall a nice presentable KEY book.

and in that grade and considering the importance of the book, i think slabbing will net you much more...............IMHO........ thumbsup2.gif

There's a chip out of the left edge of the back cover, and a small piece missing on the spine of the front cover just below the lower trajectory of Thor's hammer.

I agree with Harry that it is probably closer to 3.5 than 4.0, but CGC might give it the benefit of the doubt due to overall eye appeal.

Also, I realize that the difference in price between a restored and unrestored copy in this grade is not that significant, but I think the certification will attract more attention in an auction. And as I mentioned before, it will give more potential buyers confidence to bid.

There's chip out of the left edge of the back cover, and a small piece missing on the spine of the front cover just below the lower trajectory of Thor's hammer.

precisely.............. sumo.gif

You're right. There is a chip on the front and back covers. I figured this would be in the 3.0-4.0 range. I'd be thrilled with a 4.0. All in all though, it is still a nice book. I'll let you know when I get it back in a couple of months!!!

I'll go with 3.5....not tattered enough for a 3.0....a little too much missing and creasing for a 4.0...

I'm taking it to the Heroes convention this weekend to get it slabbed. They're not doing onsite grading at the con, but I'll submit it and count the days til it gets back.893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'm taking it to the Heroes convention this weekend to get it slabbed. They're not doing onsite grading at the con, but I'll submit it and count the days til it gets back.893crossfingers-thumb.gif

well, Standard subs are supposedly on-time at 15 business days, so the wait won't be too bad............. grin.gif