Marvel's Giant Size Appreciation Thread
7 7

210 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, electricprune said:

There ended up being some important issues in the Giant Size books: (in order)

1. First Lilith

2. First new X-Men

3. First Korvac

4. First Byrne artwork at Marvel

5. A Man-Thing Glob battle

6. Early Punisher appearance

Definitely some important issues! Honestly Im surprised I haven’t seen somebody else chase this run, and there’s very little about the GS books on google. Obviously GSXM1 gets a lot of attention, but to your point, there are some important books in the run. I’ve seen people collect all of the Two-In-Ones and all of the What Ifs but I don’t recall seeing another GS complete collection, which is crazy because these books are SO AWESOME! :headbang:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question: do you store them all together, or at the back of their respective titles?  I put them behind the annuals, but Overstreet has always had them broken out in their own listing, and I never understood why.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Question: do you store them all together, or at the back of their respective titles?  I put them behind the annuals, but Overstreet has always had them broken out in their own listing, and I never understood why.

I sort them like that, too; with the annuals.

But, I'm burying the lead. jaybes, great collection! I love everything about it!  :applause:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My first official comic was Giant-Size Man-Thing #1.  I was living in Hawaii at the time and I have no idea why I bought this issue.  But 30 days to the date I was bought it, I demanded my parents take me to the store so I could buy issue #2.  As fate would have it, my aunt was flying in to visit us for a week that very day.  I had to wait to the next day and of course it was no where to be found.  And as a quarterly, it shouldn't have been either.  doh!   I think I finally bought Issue #2 when I was in college in 1987 or so.  Wasn't worth the wait.  

The other Giant-Size I remember fondly was the Giant-Size Creatures #1.  My brothers and I bought that for my older brother off the stands back in the day, because he was into comics.  Loved gazing at Tigra.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FineCollector said:

Question: do you store them all together, or at the back of their respective titles?  I put them behind the annuals, but Overstreet has always had them broken out in their own listing, and I never understood why.

I store them separately. The whole collection fits perfectly in a short box. I have duplicates of most of the books, so I put those with their respective titles. (thumbsu

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I sort them like that, too; with the annuals.

But, I'm burying the lead. jaybes, great collection! I love everything about it!  :applause:

Thank you KirbyJack! :tink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

My first official comic was Giant-Size Man-Thing #1.  I was living in Hawaii at the time and I have no idea why I bought this issue.  But 30 days to the date I was bought it, I demanded my parents take me to the store so I could buy issue #2.  As fate would have it, my aunt was flying in to visit us for a week that very day.  I had to wait to the next day and of course it was no where to be found.  And as a quarterly, it shouldn't have been either.  doh!   I think I finally bought Issue #2 when I was in college in 1987 or so.  Wasn't worth the wait.  

The other Giant-Size I remember fondly was the Giant-Size Creatures #1.  My brothers and I bought that for my older brother off the stands back in the day, because he was into comics.  Loved gazing at Tigra.  

Tigra :x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, electricprune said:

I tried to list them in order of importance. I would put that 8th.:baiting:

Oh, I thought you were going by release date. As much as I love Giant-Size Man-Thing #1, I wouldn’t call it an important issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Question: do you store them all together, or at the back of their respective titles?  I put them behind the annuals, but Overstreet has always had them broken out in their own listing, and I never understood why.

Overstreet going alphabetical, as they are all Giant-Size [      ] in the indicia. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, picon3 said:

Back Issue Magazine #86 has a great overview of the Marvel Giant-Size Series.  Paul~

Back Issue! 86 - Click Image to Close

I have that issue Paul, it is a good one! Thanks for posting! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, creaturefan95 said:

Oh, I thought you were going by release date. As much as I love Giant-Size Man-Thing #1, I wouldn’t call it an important issue.

I did say it was my first comic ever, how much more important could it be.....:roflmao:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
7 7