• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

200k cash to spare?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

So every now and then I pursue CL as most of us do around here and happened upon this one in my area.  Not sure if it's still available or even legit,

although I suspect it may be.  As they say sharing is caring....

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/clt/d/selling-my-lifetime/6591205157.html

“I paid top $ for many of these items but I have to sell so what I paid for it doesn’t mean much.”

That’s heavy on so many levels. Deeply psychological and so on. 

Really makes me ponder life as I sit here in a bland subdivision of mcmansions  outside of Houston and stare out the window at empty streets. Where is everyone? It’s like the twilight zone. What I paid doesn’t mean much indeed.....

26 minutes ago, NoMan said:

“I paid top $ for many of these items but I have to sell so what I paid for it doesn’t mean much.”

That’s heavy on so many levels. Deeply psychological and so on. 

Really makes me ponder life as I sit here in a bland subdivision of mcmansions  outside of Houston and stare out the window at empty streets. Where is everyone? It’s like the twilight zone. What I paid doesn’t mean much indeed.....

It does make me wonder what would necessitate the need for that much cash so quick.  If he has what he says just auctioning off the AF 15 and AS 8 alone is like half that nut of what he's looking for and wouldn't take long. If I had the money I'd definitely go for a look see.

They didn't exactly say they needed to sell it quick, just that they needed to sell it. It comes across as legit. Good luck to anyone with the funds who goes and takes a look.  Pretty confident it won't take long to sort out whether its baloney or not :D

2 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

It does make me wonder what would necessitate the need for that much cash so quick.  If he has what he says just auctioning off the AF 15 and AS 8 alone is like half that nut of what he's looking for and wouldn't take long. If I had the money I'd definitely go for a look see.

Must be health issues or something... at-least he has  assets that are valuable.  Imagine if he had all his retirement in GE stock or something that crashed recently. 

For purchases like that, the seller is dreaming if he thinks he's going to get $200,000 for "$400,000 worth" of material. 

IF...and that's a gargantuan IF...he has what he says he has, the only way he's going to see real money is if he makes the effort to get the ungraded books graded, and then sell them all through an established dealer...one with a very large shop presence...or someone like Heritage.

Heritage will HAPPILY take them all, but there's no way they're carrying a briefcase filled with $200,000 to make the purchase.

There's a reason these books are on Craigslist. That reason is that they're highly, greatly overvalued, or the seller is looking to rob someone, or, and this is a remote third, the seller has the goods, but doesn't want to put in the effort it would take to see it realized, and it would be significant.

On 5/28/2018 at 8:30 PM, pemart1966 said:

He can't spell "Gretzky" properly - red flag?  lol

This is very possibly a hoax.

If he knows so many dealers, you'd think his first call would be to one of the best dealers he's dealt with rather than invite strangers into his home.

And he has to know that a reputable dealer would give him more than half of what his collection is worth.

15 hours ago, VintageComics said:

This is very possibly a hoax.

If he knows so many dealers, you'd think his first call would be to one of the best dealers he's dealt with rather than invite strangers into his home.

And he has to know that a reputable dealer would give him more than half of what his collection is worth.

I agree with this.

If you've been collecting for 40 years and have amassed a collection worth $400,000+, then you've dealt with the biggest dealers in the industry. You know about Heritage, Mycomicshop, etc.You know how to liquidate a collection.

Would I walk around with a briefcase full of cash? No! Even if I had the money, I'd be highly skeptical of being robbed by this guy. 

"might be willing to accept a wire transfer" - LOL ... it's a comic book transaction; you're not dealing drugs with a cartel

On 5/28/2018 at 2:31 PM, MustEatBrains said:

So every now and then I pursue CL as most of us do around here and happened upon this one in my area.  Not sure if it's still available or even legit,

although I suspect it may be.  As they say sharing is caring....

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/clt/d/selling-my-lifetime/6591205157.html

You're one post away from 2,666.. better make it a good one

11 hours ago, Michelangelo said:

If you've been collecting for 40 years and have amassed a collection worth $400,000+, then you've dealt with the biggest dealers in the industry. You know about Heritage, Mycomicshop, etc.You know how to liquidate a collection.

I would refute that statement.  Wholeheartedly.

17 hours ago, Michelangelo said:

I agree with this.

Would I walk around with a briefcase full of cash? No! Even if I had the money, I'd be highly skeptical of being robbed by this guy. 

"might be willing to accept a wire transfer" - LOL ... it's a comic book transaction; you're not dealing drugs with a cartel

I've done wire transfers for both comic and gun purchases.  It's not that out of the ordinary.