• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What will reach a million
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Seeing that the first Spider-Man pages are out of the running I think the piece that will cross the million dollar finish line is the cover of Zap issue #1 by Robert Crumb. The first and fourth highest paid pieces are both by Crumb so I think it's a safe bet. What do you think?

30 minutes ago, Michaeld said:

Seeing that the first Spider-Man pages are out of the running I think the piece that will cross the million dollar finish line is the cover of Zap issue #1 by Robert Crumb. The first and fourth highest paid pieces are both by Crumb so I think it's a safe bet. What do you think?

Is it coming up for sale in the near future?  If not, then there are already a number of other pieces that would also fetch 7-figures if they were to hit the auction block before the Zap #1.  The Hulk #181 cover just to name one of them. 

5 hours ago, Collectr said:

This page from Batman #1 (1939) would reach a million if sold at the appropriate auction house.

The artwork page for the first appearance of the joker.

IMG_5705_zps0cqdd3yk.jpg.fa76192e1e78845026b79f7b3a1893bf.jpg

That's not a million $ page IMO - no Batman/Robin

Edited by pemart1966

6 hours ago, Collectr said:

This page from Batman #1 (1939) would reach a million if sold at the appropriate auction house.

The artwork page for the first appearance of the joker.

IMG_5705_zps0cqdd3yk.jpg.fa76192e1e78845026b79f7b3a1893bf.jpg

I suggested that n the other thread, and got a lot of pushback. 

57 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

That's not a million $ page IMO - no Batman/Robin

I think if it featured Batman and/or Robin rather than the Joker, it might actually be worth less. Batman #1 is the first appearance of Joker, so a Joker Page from that book is really special. 

But, as I said, I got pushback for suggesting that it would be a seven figure Page. 

Just now, JadeGiant said:

I’d say that page has a chance of pushing 7 figures if it is the first page with the Joker on it. Sure, not having Batman and Robin keep it down but c’mon man, the Joker is as good as it gets when it comes to the bad guys.

It’s not the first Joker Page. There is a big splash introducing the Joker a few pages before this one. But that’s probably no longer in existence. 

3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

It’s not the first Joker Page. There is a big splash introducing the Joker a few pages before this one. But that’s probably no longer in existence. 

OK.  that does make a difference.   

13 hours ago, Michaeld said:

Years ago, someone posted an feeBay listing for the cover to Zap #1. The listing was vague, and was not meant to sell anything, but to harvest a list of interested buyers. It was the most unusual listing I'd ever seen. I contacted the seller, who then asked me for my contact info, etc. I was later contacted and told that particular cover sold privately for $1 Million back then, and we are talking mid-2000's time period. When the unused cover to Zap 1 showed up last August on Heritage, I half wondered if this was the cover that was being solicited back then. In my mind, a Crumb cover to one of his earliest works, particularly Zap cover art to issue #1 or #0 would have already broken the $1M barrier long ago, but half the problem is they aren't something that you see selling or changing hands publicly very often, and the unused cover to Zap #1 and the Fritz the Cat covers showing up for sale at Heritage are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Edited by comicwiz

6 hours ago, NicoV said:

Some artworks already reached a million... and more :)

http://comicarttracker.com/en/auctions/top-prices

array.thumb.jpg.e0a102337fc93fcdc4f3fe5c693f42fd.jpg

Very interesting. From the array, there are two results for Albert Uderzo, one that fetched €1,150,000 in 6th position, and the other in 8th position for €950,000, both closing on October 13, 2017. The results array does not show a thumbnail, and the Richelieu site no longer is showing an image (placeholder image is shown on your array, and nothing on their site). Then I found what looks to be the same covers that were auctioned at Artcurial the year prior. One sold for €102,080, and the other which was estimated to sell for €100,000 - €150,000 doesn't appear to have sold. They could be two completely different covers from the series, but with the images being taken down from Richelieu, and the incredible price difference in a single calendar year, something doesn't seem right. My apologies if this has been discussed before, but that has to be a record price for any OA that sold twice a single year apart!

Edited by comicwiz

Of note, according to this article, that top Uderzo price doesn't seem to include the buyer premium.     Note the estimate matches what you show, 180-200 E

http://www.dw.com/en/asterix-comic-book-illustration-nabs-record-price-at-auction/a-40950072

Edited by Bronty

37 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

. Then I found what looks to be the same covers that were auctioned at Artcurial the year prior. One sold for €102,080, and the other which was estimated to sell for €100,000 - €150,000 doesn't appear to have sold. They could be two completely different covers from the series, but with the images being taken down from Richelieu, and the incredible price difference in a single calendar year, something doesn't seem right. My apologies if this has been discussed before, but that has to be a record price for any OA that sold twice a single year apart!

I think there must be some mistake?   Here's an interior page sold in that time frame, and that was already 320E.

https://www.mowwgli.com/7614/2017/01/26/sothebys-paris-record-mondial-albert-uderzo/

1 hour ago, comicwiz said:

array.thumb.jpg.e0a102337fc93fcdc4f3fe5c693f42fd.jpg

Very interesting. From the array, there are two results for Albert Uderzo, one that fetched €1,150,000 in 6th position, and the other in 8th position for €950,000, both closing on October 13, 2017. The results array does not show a thumbnail, and the Richelieu site no longer is showing an image (placeholder image is shown on your array, and nothing on their site). Then I found what looks to be the same covers that were auctioned at Artcurial the year prior. One sold for €102,080, and the other which was estimated to sell for €100,000 - €150,000 doesn't appear to have sold. They could be two completely different covers from the series, but with the images being taken down from Richelieu, and the incredible price difference in a single calendar year, something doesn't seem right. My apologies if this has been discussed before, but that has to be a record price for any OA that sold twice a single year apart!

The 2 pages whose images have been removed from the auction house website are not the ones from the links you give (which are not covers but illustrations). The first one (1M€+) is the one you can see on the first link provided by Bronty. The second one (950k€) is also a cover. Here is the PDF version of the catalog.

Not sure why they just didn't leave the image up. They just sold over $1M worth of art on a single piece, and they can't host a thumbnail image? The one shown in the link Bronty posted is 1/5th ($320K euro) the Richelieu final hammer price.

1 hour ago, comicwiz said:

Not sure why they just didn't leave the image up. They just sold over $1M worth of art on a single piece, and they can't host a thumbnail image? The one shown in the link Bronty posted is 1/5th ($320K euro) the Richelieu final hammer price.

first link :nyah: ... http://www.dw.com/en/asterix-comic-book-illustration-nabs-record-price-at-auction/a-40950072

20 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I suggested that n the other thread, and got a lot of pushback. 

It was a very good suggestion, hope you don't mind me using it.