• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Geppi closing Museum:Donating Collection to Library of Congress
2 2

44 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

...the open access to everybody via internet on any subject by anybody, for any purpose...

...with the exception of using the internet from anywhere outside of the Library itself to read Spidey's origin story in Amazing Fantasy 15 from scans of the original art:

https://www.loc.gov/item/2016687393/

Well, that kind of sucks to my planned 2019 travel plan to Baltimore Comic Con with friends. The Geppi museum was part of it, and now I see it is going to close this summer?  Guess I missed the chance of walking and seeing all these cool comics and stuff, eh? 

:tonofbricks::sorry:

9 hours ago, jcjames said:

Why do you think it wasn't more visited by collectors/fans?

I saw it once a long time ago.  It was neat, I guess, but seemed haphazardly strung together and poorly curated to me -- just rooms of stuff in glass cases and hanging on the walls without any consistent "narrative" thread or central organizing principle or context (e.g., strictly chronological, or by era/creator(s)/character/theme/publisher, etc.).

Again, that was a long time ago, so maybe it's changed for the better in that regard over the years...

Edited by jools&jim

10 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

What is the Library of Congress going to do with, and why would it want, a giganormous collection of flicker rings?

Also, the rationale given for this donation in that boilerplate press release doesn't ring true to me at all...you can bet there's a lot more to this story.

It will add to the cultural history and knowledge of the world, for all in the world to enjoy/research/learn, and free of charge, and daily access without restriction via internet and in person and via those electronic toys we carry around. It is also of some importance to consider the family connection to the Pratt Library, a great institution. I don't think there is any nefarious reason. Tax deduction to preserve the family financial position? Sure...the American Capitalist way. I support it. everybody benefits.:acclaim:

34 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

...with the exception of using the internet from anywhere outside of the Library itself to read Spidey's origin story in Amazing Fantasy 15 from scans of the original art:

https://www.loc.gov/item/2016687393/

But you did just access the information via the internet. And you CAN visit in person to read it. And you CAN request in writing (and also via your Congressional Representative (assuming you are not a member of Congress) a copy of the document, for a nominal sum. So there is that.

18 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

...daily access without restriction via internet...

This is, strictly speaking, not true.  See my AF15 post above.

But, yes, the LOC is a fine and venerable institution, and I am pleased to see it doing so nicely... :eyeroll:   :bigsmile:

Edited by jools&jim

51 minutes ago, DjMartini said:

I blame Orioles fans for seeing the museum every time they go to a game and probably not once going in!

Work out a way to blame Ravens fans as well and I'm in your corner.

1 minute ago, jools&jim said:

Close. I accessed restricted access to the information via the internet. (thumbsu

I rest my case......send them more money.:banana:

4 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

lol:golfclap: Agreed, with all my powers of insistence.

16 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

M&T Bank (Ravens) stadium is a mile away....so I blame Ravens fans too! 

:nyah:

Edited by DjMartini

6 hours ago, DjMartini said:

But in reality, I think the location was never a good fit and the marketing of GEM. I have never taken a trip myself but now I really want to before it closes. It's sad but at least it will have some notice being at the Library of Congress. This way someone doesn't really have to keep up with the pricing of having the items on display but unfortunately now the government has control of it. 

Yeah, it's sort of in a weird location literally right next to Camden Yards (I can't imagine the rent/cost of the space), and when I went there I think there was maybe 1 or 2 other people in the whole dang thing. There's a lot of toys, movie posters, etc.,. and the comic room sort of has a lot of drek. Dunno, was impressive to see the blue-chip books but otherwise the whole thing was underwhelming.

15 minutes ago, drbanner said:

next to Camden Yards (I can't imagine the rent/cost of the space), and when I went there I think there was maybe 1 or 2 other people in the whole dang thing. was impressive to see the blue-chip books but otherwise the whole thing was underwhelming.

When I was visiting with 2 buddies, it seemed well curated being in historical sequence with some monstrous original art hanging like Barks, Frazetta, Alex Raymond, etc. Saw lots of BLB's and most comic keys there about 8 years ago. Some promo GA flyers, GA production items, SA Batman tv props :gossip:. Wonderful.

I've never gone and always had it on my list if I were in the area. I think it would be right up my alley. Sadly, I probably won't make it now.

I just don't think many people go to museums or libraries any more. Most people just don't have that connection to the past or even care. If they want the info they just go on line. Sad, but that is the way life is now...

I also suspect that he kept a lot of stuff and didn't donate it all. Takes a lot of space to store that much memorabilia. A great way to get rid of a lot of stuff that would be hard and time consuming to sell. Better to donate it and get the tax write off. Steve is a VERY smart man.

12 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I've never gone and always had it on my list if I were in the area. I think it would be right up my alley. Sadly, I probably won't make it now.

I just don't think many people go to museums or libraries any more. Most people just don't have that connection to the past or even care. If they want the info they just go on line. Sad, but that is the way life is now...

I also suspect that he kept a lot of stuff and didn't donate it all. Takes a lot of space to store that much memorabilia. A great way to get rid of a lot of stuff that would be hard and time consuming to sell. Better to donate it and get the tax write off. Steve is a VERY smart man.

Glad I made it out there back in 2013 :smile:

75710_10152150500405481_374343903_n.jpg

3157_10152150500720481_1446984952_n.jpg

66539_10152150500615481_631183581_n.jpg

156106_10152150500675481_1579445662_n.jpg

196456_10152150533185481_147812686_n.jpg

199486_10152155299165481_778533114_n.jpg

247773_10152150500970481_102355688_n.jpg

249593_10152150500780481_1253597682_n.jpg

261988_10152150533740481_1536340062_n.jpg

302271_10152150501035481_2117952149_n.jpg

480688_10152150500435481_144990677_n.jpg

523264_10152150500320481_1219807032_n.jpg

527835_10152150533140481_790144962_n.jpg

643905_10152150500180481_137028034_n.jpg

Perhaps I am mistaken, but isn't Geppi millions of dollars in debt to hundreds if not thousands of people and vendors? Geppi gets a nice write off and the people get screwed again.

Edited by shadroch

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

A great way to get rid of a lot of stuff that would be hard and time consuming to sell...

The (relatively) lower-end/esoteric stuff might be a hassle to move due to the volume, I agree.  But would it really be all that hard to unload the Mickey Mouse storyboards for HUGE money?  Seems to me that liquidating those and a few of the major keys & OO pages/paintings would provide a very big nut. Very big.  Not sure if it would be comparable to the tax break, or whatever precipitated this, but maybe...

Edited by jools&jim