• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is paying sales tax at conventions the standard?
2 2

39 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me why, if sales tax is being collected, anyone would buy a big book at a convention?  By big, I mean over $25k. I’ve heard people say they would never buy a big book at auction or over the Internet, and instead only do it at conventions.  I just don’t get why.  Every convention I go to has people walking around in costume and selling medieval armor. 

Maybe there’s a backstage pass I’m missing out on, where all the cool comic stuff happens

Those darn auction houses. How dare they follow the laws. Just because they are multimillion dollar operations, is there any reason they can't act like fanboys selling their personal collections. 

2 hours ago, JWKyle said:

I've never been charged sales tax at any comic show. 

On a side note I don't like the fact that the auction houses are now charging taxes in accordance with your home state law. This is creating an uneven playing field and has reduced my bidding on items to zero. 

Welcome to my world of the retail storefront... talk about uneven playing field!

2 hours ago, JWKyle said:

On a side note I don't like the fact that the auction houses are now charging taxes in accordance with your home state law. This is creating an uneven playing field and has reduced my bidding on items to zero. 

It was an uneven playing field the minute the internet went live.  Let me explain. 

Let us use a police officer salary as an example.  Source: Average Salary of Police Officers by State (Before overtime)

New York: $49,760

North Carolina $35,639

Obviously it is more expensive to live in New York than it is in North Carolina.  That is a given and why so many are moving off of Long Island or moving after retirement.   However, let's say that the cost of living is somewhat proportional to salary earned from NY to NC.  Let's say that I can somehow afford to allow 10% of my salary to be disposable income. 

At the next auction the individual from NY has $4976 to play with vs the individual from North Carolina who has $3563.90 to play with. 

While the income from state to state is a variable, we can assume that the cost of living is comparable to the income in the native state.  However, the auction is at a national level where all of the people from those states are competing with their disposable income.   You lost as soon as you started collecting salary in a lower ranked state. 

This is why $100 to someone in NY might not hit as hard as $100 to someone in North Carolina. 

Now, I will readily admit that I am not a tax or finance guy... so if I am wrong please correct me. 

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:16 PM, 1Cool said:

Great - now buyers want sellers to offer books at 20% less than usually sells for on E-Bay and eat 7% in sales tax on all purchases.  Sign me up for the next Con!

I do agree it's nice to have one price but in our society the sales tax is almost always added to the end price so why shouldn't comic sellers do the same?

Except in 41 years of going to conventions I have never had this added on a cash sale.  I've used credit cards a couple of times, usually nobody adds it, one time I was told they couldn't give me the same "deal" with a CC. Is adding tax the norm in Ohio?

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, Buzzetta said:

It was an uneven playing field the minute the internet went live.  Let me explain. 

Let us use a police officer salary as an example.  Source: Average Salary of Police Officers by State (Before overtime)

New York: $49,760

North Carolina $35,639

Obviously it is more expensive to live in New York than it is in North Carolina.  That is a given and why so many are moving off of Long Island or moving after retirement.   However, let's say that the cost of living is somewhat proportional to salary earned from NY to NC.  Let's say that I can somehow afford to allow 10% of my salary to be disposable income. 

At the next auction the individual from NY has $4976 to play with vs the individual from North Carolina who has $3563.90 to play with. 

While the income from state to state is a variable, we can assume that the cost of living is comparable to the income in the native state.  However, the auction is at a national level where all of the people from those states are competing with their disposable income.   You lost as soon as you started collecting salary in a lower ranked state. 

This is why $100 to someone in NY might not hit as hard as $100 to someone in North Carolina. 

Now, I will readily admit that I am not a tax or finance guy... so if I am wrong please correct me. 

Yeah, what you wrote doesn't make that much sense, but we love you anyway. People are moving to lower COL areas because after they're done paying bills, even on a higher salary, they don't have that 10% left over.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:12 AM, JWKyle said:

Write your congressperson/people then and/or your governor/state legislators. The auction houses have no choice.

21 minutes ago, the blob said:

Except in 41 years of going to conventions I have never had this added on a cash sale.  I've used credit cards a couple of times, usually nobody adds it, one time I was told they couldn't give me the same "deal" with a CC. Is adding tax the norm in Ohio?

I don't give as good of a deal if someone is paying with CC because I have to pay extra for processing. It's not because of sales tax.

23 minutes ago, the blob said:

Nope - having bought books at many Ohio cons using cash, Paypal or CCs.

45 minutes ago, the blob said:

I agree with the above that I've never been charged a sales tax or charged others a sales tax.  But I will say that Cons where pretty lax on collecting sales tax when I set up a few years ago.  I'd guess the vast majority of small booth sellers who set up at Cons in Ohio do not report the income so they obviously wouldn't need to pay a sales tax.  My comment was aimed at a world where sellers were required to eat the sales tax which would eat up an additional 7% in profits in addition to all the other expenses to set up.  Now that E-Bay is collecting sales tax for me that is just another reason to not sell at Cons where there is just a ton more headaches.

On 6/24/2019 at 3:00 PM, the blob said:

Yeah, what you wrote doesn't make that much sense, but we love you anyway. People are moving to lower COL areas because after they're done paying bills, even on a higher salary, they don't have that 10% left over.

As long as I am loved. 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:47 PM, 1Cool said:

I agree with the above that I've never been charged a sales tax or charged others a sales tax.  But I will say that Cons where pretty lax on collecting sales tax when I set up a few years ago.  I'd guess the vast majority of small booth sellers who set up at Cons in Ohio do not report the income so they obviously wouldn't need to pay a sales tax.  My comment was aimed at a world where sellers were required to eat the sales tax which would eat up an additional 7% in profits in addition to all the other expenses to set up.  Now that E-Bay is collecting sales tax for me that is just another reason to not sell at Cons where there is just a ton more headaches.

If sales tax must be collected I am thrilled that ebay is doing the legwork. Dumb question: Is ebay collecting for within state sales (in my case selling to a fellow new Yorker?). I really don't want to have to do the paperwork for 7 or 8 sales a year.

I've paid Canadian taxes 13% on credit card purchases with a 5% surcharge at Cons and no tax most of the time with Cash deals. Sometimes you might get one where you can pay with credit card and no tax I've seen a booth advertise this once before as a selling point and others post that Credit purchases are subject to taxes.

33 minutes ago, the blob said:

If sales tax must be collected I am thrilled that ebay is doing the legwork. Dumb question: Is ebay collecting for within state sales (in my case selling to a fellow new Yorker?). I really don't want to have to do the paperwork for 7 or 8 sales a year.

Not sure about NY but it is my understanding that sales tax will be collected for set states no matter where the seller is at.  I'd guess that all states will jump on board within the next couple years since it's free money for them that they probably wouldn't get.  Up to this point E-Bay has done all the leg work and all I see is a notice that sales tax was collected for some sales and I don't see the money or have to do anything.

the only thing I hate is when you get someone not advertising about their tax policy or inform you about taxes on your purchase until you put your card in and see the price jump up x amount. I've had it where one guy sneak in the taxes and his surcharge he said oh its taxes but when I checked my receipt after I saw there was a 3% surcharge and no where did he post anything about surcharges or taxes. Dude didn't even tell me about the surcharge guess that's what I get for being so trusting sometimes.

What about vendors that have a tax ID number, who buy on ebay for resale? Is this a blanket tax collection by ebay, regardless of if the buyer has a resale tax ID number or not? Can a buyer claim an exemption from having sales tax collected by ebay on his purchases with his tax ID number? Or is it automatically collected without option or recourse?

I would never buy a book off a dealer if they made me pay tax on a cash purchase.  id tell them to take a hike.  now for a credit card transaction im shocked if they DONT add tax and that is fine.  whether you have a tax ID or not doesn't mean you actually report the tax.  like someone else said like waiters, dealers don't report 90% of their income since theres no way to track how many books were actually sold at a show.  they report enough to make it look worth while and to pay for the booth but the rest just goes right in the pocket.  all credit card transactions must be reported because there is a trace.

this goes for anything in life.  if you never asked a maintenance guy or laborer doing work on your house for a cash discount you are wasting a lot of money because they almost always give deals knowing they are making the money under the table and don't have to report the tax from a cashed check or card which can be traced.  you can pull this for any small family business as well like landscapers, photographers, electricians, etc.

On 6/22/2019 at 10:12 AM, JWKyle said:

Yep.  Not zero, but I don't do it much.  Tennessee has 9.75% sales tax. :sorry: