• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Ring Question
3 3

108 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It is baffling, yes. Also, if the rings are consider by CGC to be 'normal and acceptable', why would they offer a (presumably free?) reholdering service? The offer to reholder is surely an acceptance / acknowledgement that the presence of newton rings is undesirable, no?

The only logical explanation I can think of is that they have ordered so many of the new cases that to dump them would represent an extinction level cost. Maybe they did not undertake sufficient due diligence before placing the bulk order.  They hope that they can get away with running down the supply before bringing in a modified, better tested version.

All this speculation on the owners boards is surely damaging, so the need to make a statement must be growing. There's no two ways to say it - a service to encapsulate a prized possession for posterity that places ugly rings across that possession simply cannot stand. It cannot be justified.

Unless the customers are prepared to accept them that is.

We're not, are we?

I am not. I do think there is an amount of customers that wont spend money on shipping to resubmit and therefore would tolerate the ugly effect.

They must have placed a large order of these cases or have a contract with the manufacturer for xxxxxxxxxx units.

4 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Cgc has also stated that all previous cases presented some newton effect. While this is true, it was never nearly as bad as the current gen.

They are really hoping we stop complaining and settle for a cosmetically inferior product.

I have over a 100 slabs, none of them have this effect that I can visually perceive it. There is the difference: I don't care if every slab I own has this, I couldn't see it before.

21 hours ago, I like pie said:

Cgc has also stated that all previous cases presented some newton effect. While this is true, it was never nearly as bad as the current gen.

They are really hoping we stop complaining and settle for a cosmetically inferior product.

Unless submissions fall dramatically, they don't really have much incentive to deal with the problem. 

You guys are crazy.  CGC doesn't have a newton ring problem.  Never did.

In fact, the last holder (I think someone nicknamed it the Creep-Engine Case), looked even better.

So quit yur whinin'... buncha  OCD complainers...the lot of you.  :sumo: