• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 1973 Comic Art Convention, New York

41 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, boomtown said:

Not sure, but it looked like the Vampirella up towards the top on the right hand side was Heidi Saha, Check out the "comic magazine" section for an interesting thread on her history.

Good catch. It is. It’s how I ran across the video in the first place. 

FYI, that’s my thread too...

7 hours ago, N e r V said:

Good catch. It is. It’s how I ran across the video in the first place. 

FYI, that’s my thread too...

It's a great thread. I was trying to drive traffic down to the under viewed Comic Magazine section.

On 6/15/2018 at 4:34 AM, N e r V said:

If you haven’t seen this before it’s a great piece of history with early fandom, cosplay, and really old comics at silly prices from the way back machine.

No audio in the beginning but it comes in later.

https://www.dailymotion.com/pvt-snafu

Thanks for posting! Lots of fun watching that. (thumbsu 

1 hour ago, thedude said:

no mention of the kid dressed like the Joker ripping in half a copy of Batman #251??? :ohnoez:

great video! thanks! :applause:

I'm glad I missed that.

It's one of my all-time favourite, most-treasured comics. It would've saddened and traumatised me.

That said, like a car crash, it's difficult to resist the temptation to go back and observe the wreckage.

On 6/17/2018 at 7:42 AM, Ken Aldred said:
On 6/17/2018 at 6:15 AM, thedude said:

no mention of the kid dressed like the Joker ripping in half a copy of Batman #251??? :ohnoez:

great video! thanks! :applause:

I'm glad I missed that.

It's one of my all-time favourite, most-treasured comics. It would've saddened and traumatised me.

That said, like a car crash, it's difficult to resist the temptation to go back and observe the wreckage.

at the time that book was probably still available at the news stands and only cost 20 cents -- but it is a silly way to treat the book. Did you notice the one guy who jumped on the stage and grabbed the torn book?

makes me wonder if there is a similar video from a year later with someone dressed as the hulk ripping apart IH 181 (and please don't post that video of the girl ripping one apart from a couple of years ago as that is just nasty to watch).

The general treatment of the books makes you wonder how anything survived at high grade. Sure wouldn't mind browsing through all those Marvel silver age books for those prices though!

PS -- interesting to note that the younger more authentic costumed Vampirella Heidi Saha is only 14 years old when she was in that costume contest-- yikes!

Edited by 01TheDude

52 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

She was 14!! :preach:

Hell, Ackerman was prolly enduring listening to that Scientology guy Ron Hubbard and all his mumbo-jumbo that or blowing up scientists in Pasadena, California while trying to conjure up the devil.

Anybody ever get the AckerMansion tour? I did. Early 90s I think. His wife had banished him and his collection to the basement. Lots of us can probably relate. 

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:46 AM, thirdgreenham said:

She was 14!! :preach:

Interesting to know there was a "cosplay controversy" all the way back in 1973 involving this 14 year old girl, who was booed and heckled so vocally after award announcements, that she declined to accept her 3rd place prize :/

And Zeck's Black Bolt costume is pretty amazing!  How cool to find out they also auctioned off original artwork at that 1971 convention:

Seuling07 small.jpg