• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sparkle City Action 1 on ebay!!!!

268 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I don't know that.  To the contrary, I believe that this Action 1 is destined to be pieced up with the cover going one direction (married to a coverless interior), the first wrap possibly going another (married to an incomplete coverless copy), and the going rate on single wraps or pages from Action 1 would certainly make it worthwhile to piece out the remainder and substantially defray the purchase price.  The buyer here is almost inevitably going to be a very sophisticated participant in the comic market.

if the winner is the consistent under-bidder, the new ebay account with one feedback? That's quite a prognostication, right down to the minute details! Can you predict the outcome as accurately at the roulette table? :juggle:

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

if the winner is the consistent under-bidder, the new ebay account with one feedback? That's quite a prognostication, right down to the minute details! Can you predict the outcome as accurately at the roulette table? :juggle:

I agree... Sophiscated buyer would buy a completly restored book. Theres a great  Action 1 coming up on comicconnect.

Btw they removed prefer leaving it kn its natural state comment.

also these comments are misleading:

With values of Action #1 increasing over 20% year over year, that comic would sell for nearly DOUBLE just 4 short years later

is proud to offer this AUTHENTIC AND ORIGINAL Action Comics #1.

3rd party grading would call this a .5, incomplete with (slight restoration) color touch, cover cleaned, reinforced, pieces added and staples replaced.

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

I'm pretty sure they understand their risks and benefits better than you do.  

And you know that they know everything there is to know better than I do? How do you know that? Curious? Are you aware of every move that I make? My every thought? The sum total of my professional expertise? Or lack of it? That's quite an assumption on your part, with you really not knowing much about me at all, wouldn't you agree?

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

It's not that hard a prediction to make if you pay attention to what's being stated on this thread.

Gator stated above:  "The person that is bidding and imo will likely win this does have a complete coverless copy."  Gator has extensive knowledge, is a high end dealer, and there's no reason to doubt what he just said.

In addition, an incomplete coverless copy (missing first wrap) was auctioned off in the past few years.

I'm not making up the facts, I'm just piecing them together to make an informed guess.

And you know that they know everything there is to know better than I do? How do you know that? Curious? Are you aware of every move that I make? My every thought? The sum total of my professional expertise? Or lack of it? That's quite an assumption on your part, with you really not knowing much about me at all, wouldn't you agree?

Feel free to tell me your background and why you keep asserting this book came out of a PLOD?

You keep dodging the question about the assumption you have made which undergirds your seemingly slanderous statements about the seller and Sparkle City.

5 minutes ago, zen514 said:

They say 4-5 which is moderate extensive them say SLIGHT

They have modified the description and added additional information.  You need to read the full description. 

Just now, sfcityduck said:

It's not that hard a prediction to make if you pay attention to what's being stated on this thread.

Gator stated above:  "The person that is bidding and imo will likely win this does have a complete coverless copy."  Gator has extensive knowledge, is a high end dealer, and there's no reason to doubt what he just said.

In addition, an incomplete coverless copy (missing first wrap) was auctioned off in the past few years.

I'm not making up the facts, I'm just piecing them together to make an informed guess.

I believe Gator used the word "likely", which has a different meaning than "definitely". "Guess" being the operative word you mentioned. It's a guess.. You have the same chance of knowing the exact outcome, who will win this and their intent, as you do in gauging my knowledge, without knowing me at all. Slim to none are those chances. Especially if you feel because I'm a forum newb that I'm clueless. That would also be a erroneous assumption. .

7 minutes ago, zen514 said:

is proud to offer this AUTHENTIC AND ORIGINAL Action Comics #1.

3rd party grading would call this a .5, incomplete with (slight restoration) color touch, cover cleaned, reinforced, pieces added and staples replaced.

It is authentic and original (e.g., not a counterfeit or reprint).

And they have modified the description in the Q&A from "slight" to "moderate/extensive."  You need to read the whole description.

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Feel free to tell me your background and why you keep asserting this book came out of a PLOD?

You keep dodging the question about the assumption you have made which undergirds your seemingly slanderous statements about the seller and Sparkle City.

Slander? Is that what you call what I've written? First off, written words are libel. Slander is spoken. And I don't recall stating anything negative about the seller. Do you?

I believe Gator used the word "likely", which has a different meaning than "definitely". "Guess" being the operative word you mentioned. It's a guess.. You have the same chance of knowing the exact outcome, who will win this and their intent, as you do in gauging my knowledge, without knowing me at all. Slim to none are those chances. Especially if you feel because I'm a forum newb that I'm clueless. That would also be a erroneous assumption. .

The term "likely" modifies "win."  He does not appear to be guessing in his statement, and based on ten years of reading of his posts - I am certain he is not.

Just now, sfcityduck said:

It is authentic and original (e.g., not a counterfeit or reprint).

And they have modified the description in the Q&A from "slight" to "moderate/extensive."  You need to read the whole description.

Oh, they modified it. I read the description that originally accompanied the listing. I wasn't even aware that once bids were placed, details could be changed. That's a new one on me. Seems like you're right and I know very ittle about the hobby, or anything else for that matter! hm

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

The term "likely" modifies "win."  He does not appear to be guessing in his statement, and based on ten years of reading of his posts - I am certain he is not.

OK, so Gator knows who the winner will be, and exactly what the winner will do with it. Is that what you're stating? That the results are a lock and that Gator knows the end results to a certainty?

Then yes. Since Gator already knows these details 5 days prior to their occurrence, then yes, Gator knows far more than I do. I'll make a note of that, as should you.

Edited by James J Johnson

Just now, James J Johnson said:

Slander? Is that what you call what I've written? First off, written words are libel. Slander is spoken. And I don't recall stating anything negative about the seller. Do you?

First, "slander" can be written or oral.  The distinction between "slander" and "libel" is usually reserved for legal contexts.  But, if you prefer substitute "defamatory."

Second, I have already pointed that your assertion of fact, which you still have not backed up, that the seller took the book out of a PLOD is definitely within the realm of defamatory statements when coupled with your assertion that his motivation for that still unproven act is that he is "greedy." 

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

yes, I used the term likely because this individual is quite wealthy and wants to win the book...in the past, he generally wins at an alarming rate...that said, there are unknowns out there that might still outbid, so I can only state that I would put my money on him, though with an auction, no one "should" know the outcome in advance :)

Just now, James J Johnson said:

OK, so Gator knows who the winner will be, and exactly what the winner will do with it. Is that what you're stating? That the results are a lock and that Gator knows the end results to a certainty?

No.  I'm saying Gator knows that the current high bidder has a coverless copy.  Gator is predicting he will win.  Gator has built up enough credibility that I tend to believe his predictions, but you're free to disagree with his opinions.  You would be wise not to disagree with his factual assertion (the high bidder owns a coverless copy) unless you know otherwise. 

1 minute ago, G.A.tor said:

yes, I used the term likely because this individual is quite wealthy and wants to win the book...in the past, he generally wins at an alarming rate...that said, there are unknowns out there that might still outbid, so I can only state that I would put my money on him, though with an auction, no one "should" know the outcome in advance :)

No one should, but SF duck seems to know everything there is to know about everything, including his belief in some type of omnipotent prognosticative power that you've been blessed with..... or cursed with! Whichever wayyou want to look at it. :devil:

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

No one should, but SF duck seems to know everything there is to know about everything, including his belief in some type of omnipotent prognosticative power that you've been blessed with..... or cursed with! Whichever wayyou want to look at it. :devil:

You would do well to read the posts more carefully.  That way you would not come across so foolish with statements like this.

Again, on what do you base your assertion that this book came out of a PLOD?