• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sparkle City Action 1 on ebay!!!!

268 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

No.  I'm saying Gator knows that the current high bidder has a coverless copy.  Gator is predicting he will win.  Gator has built up enough credibility that I tend to believe his predictions, but you're free to disagree with his opinions.  You would be wise not to disagree with his factual assertion (the high bidder owns a coverless copy) unless you know otherwise. 

I wasn't disagreeing with a coverless copy or not. Let's just say, regardless of inside information, outcomes may vary. You know how many auctions I've bid on, placing a "top all", failsafe bid with seconds to go? Usually when I want something (have to have it), I'll snipe a stupid bid, a bid I know will win. Of course, that can be dangerous. You can bid $2000 on a book that you know you shouldn't be bidding more than $1000 on and usually win it for $1200 or less, a lot of headroom to proxy with. Sometimes, someone placed even a more stupid bid than I did. I'd bid $2000 for a top all on a $1000 book and I'd get a "you have been outbid" message!!! WTF??????? "How the hell did I lose that?". Even when you have every reason to expect a certain outcome, no auction results are ever certain until the end. Although you feel differently.

13 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

It is authentic and original (e.g., not a counterfeit or reprint).

And they have modified the description in the Q&A from "slight" to "moderate/extensive."  You need to read the whole description.

Yes convienent in the Q&A  and nit the description. Also the Part lf leaving it innits natural RESTORED was removed. Nonetheless i do understand that they are trying to market the book. 

9 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

No.  I'm saying Gator knows that the current high bidder has a coverless copy.  Gator is predicting he will win.  Gator has built up enough credibility that I tend to believe his predictions, but you're free to disagree with his opinions.  You would be wise not to disagree with his factual assertion (the high bidder owns a coverless copy) unless you know otherwise. 

I haven't actually looked at who has bid what, but after conversing with this individual, I would bet he will win just based on knowing his past wins...he has a beautiful coverless copy and this copy would marry wonderfully with his to give him a complete copy... that said, when he bids or how much, I am not privy too, only that he plans to crush my bid lol (and I haven't placed mine yet, if anyone is keeping score)

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Again, on what do you base your assertion that this book came out of a PLOD?

I read it mentioned. Something to the effect of "the option to sell this raw was genius. It was or would have been a 0.5 incomplete". And what does it matter if it's cracked out or not? Everyone that knows anything about CGC grading realizes that this is 0.5 slab material? Or not? Unless you genuinely feel it's a 4.5 or 5.0? You tell me. 0.5 or 4.5 to 5.0. Your call. I'll go by what your grade. If you refer to it from now on as the 4.5 or 5.0 Action 1, so be it, I'll abide. It's easier than arguing with someone who can type 220 wpm.

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I am guessing 200 K is a  strong possibility maybe even probability 

If Gator  says high  200k is a strong possibility then it is and I stand corr eted thinking it was a low 120-130k

1 minute ago, G.A.tor said:

I haven't actually looked at who has bid what, but after conversing with this individual, I would bet he will win just based on knowing his past wins...he has a beautiful coverless copy and this copy would marry wonderfully with his to give him a complete copy... that said, when he bids or how much, I am not privy too, only that he plans to crush my bid lol (and I haven't placed mine yet, if anyone is keeping score)

My feeling is at least 250K to stand a chance to take it. As Tony Montana said, "That a lot of yayo".

15 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

yes, I used the term likely because this individual is quite wealthy and wants to win the book...in the past, he generally wins at an alarming rate...that said, there are unknowns out there that might still outbid, so I can only state that I would put my money on him, though with an auction, no one "should" know the outcome in advance :)

Close to 200k

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I read it mentioned. Something to the effect of "the option to sell this raw was genius. It was or would have been a 0.5 incomplete". And what does it matter if it's cracked out or not? Everyone that knows anything about CGC grading realizes that this is 0.5 slab material? Or not? Unless you genuinely feel it's a 4.5 or 5.0? You tell me. 0.5 or 4.5 to 5.0. Your call. I'll go by what your grade. If you refer to it from now on as the 4.5 or 5.0 Action 1, so be it, I'll abide. It's easier than arguing with someone who can type 220 wpm.

This is the statement that I believe was unwise of you to make if you were unclear on the facts:  "... this seller's greed, his cracking it out and going the ebay raw route ...." 

This is a hobby in which reputation is important.  I'd hope participants would not disparage others without good cause.

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

This is the statement that I believe was unwise of you to make if you were unclear on the facts:  "... this seller's greed, his cracking it out and going the ebay raw route ...." 

This is a hobby in which reputation is important.  I'd hope participants would not disparage others without good cause.

What do you call the decision to bypass having it slabbed, a 0.5, to market it as a 3.5 or 4.0, or 4.5, or 5.0 raw? Is that a "shrewd business decision"? Isn't greed what drives a decision like that? Look up the words greedy and greed.

30 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

yes, I used the term likely because this individual is quite wealthy and wants to win the book...in the past, he generally wins at an alarming rate...that said, there are unknowns out there that might still outbid, so I can only state that I would put my money on him, though with an auction, no one "should" know the outcome in advance :)

If I were the bidder you reference, the last person on earth I would communicate with about my intentions to win this book is you, or anyone else who may share my plans. Nothing against you, personally. I'd just ignore your communications with, "I'm currently away from my desk. Get back to you ASAP, thanks!". I wouldn't speak about it, I wouldn't discuss it. If you're pursuant to the same goal as a potential adversary to my goal, I don't share. I go after it and keep it quiet, comradery be damned. Business is business.

8 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

What do you call the decision to bypass having it slabbed, a 0.5, to market it as a 3.5 or 4.0, or 4.5, or 5.0 raw? Is that a "shrewd business decision"? Isn't greed what drives a decision like that? Look up the words greedy and greed.

I would call it a "wise business decision" because the best market for the book are people who will piece it out to create a retored Frankenbook.

Furthermore, you are again disparaging someone based on false factual assertions.  Sparkle City disclosed that third party graders would label the book a .5 restored.  

Sparkle City's assertion that the book presents much better than a .5 and has a 3.0 appearance is not misleading to any one in the market for this book.  It is common for dealers to argue that books present better than what they have or would be graded at.

Just now, sfcityduck said:

I would call it a "wise business decision" because the best market for the book are people who will piece it out to create a retored Frankenbook.

Furthermore, you are again disparaging someone based on false factual assertions.  Sparkle City disclosed that third party graders would label the book a .5 restored.  

Sparkle City's assertion that the book presents much better than a .5 and has a 3.0 appearance is not misleading to any one in the market for this book.  It is common for dealers to argue that books present better than what they have or would be graded at.

OK. Thank you. I learned so much from you today that I'm going to need to wear a top hat in public to appear normal!  Bless you and darn you, at the same time!  :x

different-brain-size-1.jpg

16 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Furthermore, you are again disparaging someone based on false factual assertions. 

And you are actually disparaging me based on the false assertion that I have slandered Sparkle. This would make a good court case, if you're interested in pursuing this. You're accusing me of something that has not been adjudicated. You know that, right? It has not been established as of yet if I slandered Sparkle. Yet your asserting as fact that I have slandered them. Courts typically decide that, not you, right?  or do I have more to learn because you are the final ad hoc authority on slander and I'm unaware of your authority? Maybe you taught me too much and now you've created a monster!   hm

Edited by James J Johnson

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

And you are actually disparaging me based on the false assertion that I have slandered Sparkle. This would make a good court case, if you're interested in pursuing this. You're accusing me of something that has not been adjudicated. You know that, right? It has not been established as of yet if I slandered Sparkle. Yet your asserting as fact that I have slanderedthem. Courts typically decide that, not you, right?  or do I have more to learn because you are the final ad hoc authority on slander?  hm

Think about what you are saying when you falsely state about a comic dealer: "What do you call the decision to bypass having it slabbed, a 0.5, to market it as a 3.5 or 4.0, or 4.5, or 5.0 raw?"

Then go look up "libel per se" on Google. 

And you'll find an answer.

Edited by sfcityduck

14 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Think about what you are saying when you falsely state about a comic dealer: "What do you call the decision to bypass having it slabbed, a 0.5, to market it as a 3.5 or 4.0, or 4.5, or 5.0 raw?"

Now first, we're going to have to establish this as libel or slander. What is Sparkle City's or your loss? If we're going to court, we have to first set the parameters of the libel. How have you been the victim or Sparkle been a victim of my alleged "Slander"? As stated, we can litigate this in court if you'd like. What did you lose by my alleged slander, which has not yet been determined to be slander? What are the damages? Did you lose a tail feather? You may want to consider this before filing what will prove to be a frivolous lawsuit. ^^

Edited by James J Johnson

15 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Now before you know what to file, you may want to review this.

Difference+Between+Libel+&+Slander.jpg

The only acceptable way to list a book like this is as follows:

"This book will not be sold for a price higher than you think it's worth.  If anyone tries to pay more they will be informed the book isn't worth it and their attempts to pay more will be refused.   If you are buying this for resale we will accept only what you think is a price that allows the markup you want.   If the book has any defects or restoration, or anything you think is a defect or restoration that was not described in precisely the same terms you would have used, then we understand that offering a return is not enough; you will also have the option to keep the book and tell us the amount that must be refunded.  You will also be free to return it, if the value ever decreases."

Edited by bluechip

35 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

If I were the bidder you reference, the last person on earth I would communicate with about my intentions to win this book is you, or anyone else who may share my plans. Nothing against you, personally. I'd just ignore your communications with, "I'm currently away from my desk. Get back to you ASAP, thanks!". I wouldn't speak about it, I wouldn't discuss it. If you're pursuant to the same goal as a potential adversary to my goal, I don't share. I go after it and keep it quiet, comradery be damned. Business is business.

That’s the problem with friendships in this hobby. You try to accommodate folks so you entertain discussions but you omit specifics and details (as in this case). I think we are all savvy enough not to tip our hands