• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PACIFIC COAST COLLXN- THE LAST GREAT SILVER AGE PEDIGREE??

125 posts in this topic

Hi All: Because the PC books are mostly structually pefect that is why they make perfect canidates for pressing as do most pedigrees.

Case in Point: DD 2 in the last Heritage auction. I submitted that book 3 times. 8.5, 8.5, 9.0. Pressed 9.4 Sold $4000+.

There is a crease that you can see on the upper left back cover, its faint but it's still there.

Best, Tom

Case in Point: DD 2 in the last Heritage auction. I submitted that book 3 times. 8.5, 8.5, 9.0. Pressed 9.4 Sold $4000+.

...That's an amazing jump,...it's no wonder pressing is rampant in the industry,...however with all the beyotching about it, it doesn't seem to be hurting the sales for those who are doing it,...if anything sales for these smashed 9.4's and 9.6's are escalating ,...so my question is do most people really not care that their 4K 9.4 book was an 8.5 last year?,...or do they not know,...cause I can't see someone paying that amount of money for a book and not be aware of what's happening,....even I can tell the difference between a pressed and non-pressed book now,...

...That's an amazing jump,...it's no wonder pressing is rampant in the industry,...however with all the beyotching about it, it doesn't seem to be hurting the sales for those who are doing it,...if anything sales for these smashed 9.4's and 9.6's are escalating ,...so my question is do most people really not care that their 4K 9.4 book was an 8.5 last year?,...or do they not know,...cause I can't see someone paying that amount of money for a book and not be aware of what's happening,....even I can tell the difference between a pressed and non-pressed book now,...

gossip.gif Most of the time, they don't know. Remember, nobody reads the boards except us!

gossip.gif Most of the time, they don't know. Remember, nobody reads the boards except us!

another thread that morphs into a "Pressing" one.......... 893whatthe.gif

i'm not sure if Red is being sarcastic here or not. i personally feel that these threads with all of the world of info they contain, are still only read by a small percentage of those in the hobby. BUT, having said that, i would suspect that those laying out 4 and 5 figures for books, probably poke their noses in here on occasion............. grin.gif

and i just wanted to add, that i believe TTH is onto something regarding SA pedigrees. While my collection has the required length/depth of a Pedigree, and is a true OO collection, the best and earliest books frequently don't rise to the occasion. So i'm slowly selling them myself/consignment because of the information and means that the internet has provided, and the fact that i have the luxury of time, being retired. very easy to see where other, finer collections may have been sold in whole or part over the internet this past decade.......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ok i must be the short bus one on the forum,but i have no idea how to tell a "PRESSED" book from a non pressed book.

So if someone would be kind enough to post a pic of a known pressed book and a non pressed that would really help.

Thanks

KARL

Ok i must be the short bus one on the forum,but i have no idea how to tell a "PRESSED" book from a non pressed book.

So if someone would be kind enough to post a pic of a known pressed book and a non pressed that would really help.

Thanks

KARL

you cant tell the difference

Hi All: I don't think that as many collectors read these boards as most would like to believe, but I think that it is fair to assume that many dealers do.

1: I do not know who did the work to the DD 2, I sold it as a 9.0.

2: I posted an almost identical statement on 1/11/05 (post #686093 ) about the book, almost a month before the Heritage auction. Make you own conclusion. Either peolpe don't care or they are not informed.

3: It's a shame that our hobby has gone down the same path as the coin and sportscard market. What seemed like a godsend ( CGC ) in the beginning has only fueled conspiracy threads and mistrust.

4: Back to the thread topic: I have to believe that there are still collections out there waiting to be discovered. I would be very surprised if any have the depth in titles and completion that the OO of the PC collection managed to compile. After speaking to him I have to believe that he was obsessed, he read the books, and could recite the stories just by looking at the cover.

But it is amazing how many people do not know the value of collectibles. I just recently was shown an awesome collection of BB cards from the late 50's to mid 60's in beautiful NM condition and the OO had no idea of their value. When I told him he almost passed out. I also just had the pleasure of examining an autograph book that belonged to a friend of mines mother. Her uncle was an usher at Yankee Stadium during the 20's thru 30's. I lost track counting the HOF's. Again no idea of the value.

So lets hope that somewhere out there someone who like Lamont Larson read comics, took care of them, and loved them someday meets the right person to bring the treasures to market in their "natural state".

Best, Tom

I think it would be nice to assume that there are more original owner collections out there, but I'm not so sure about that... what I do think is that there are probably several high grade collections sitting out there that were amassed, perhaps not as true Original owner books bought off the stands, but assembled as one collection through the 60s and 70s.

I know of a couple of hardcore DC collectors who have basically said they have no intention of ever selling their books, but of course when they die, some of these collections will be released to the market. I would love to see it.

I wonder if there is a greater likelihood of DC orig owner collections surfacing than Marvels, since DC guys tend to have the stereotype of being married to their collections more than Marvelites.

in 10 to 20 years... will there be any great pedigrees of 80s - 90s books? Or will the comics from that era always be in high supply? I guess the answer is obvious... the days of pedigrees are limited...

Good point, Foolkiller. There are thousands of obsessive "true" collectors out there who potentially own extremely nice books. They will make it onto the market eventually.

Due to the liquidity of CGC books, I think the forums sometimes provide a skewed perspective of collecting. Many collectors still buy comics with the intention of keeping them for many years. My personal "keeper" collection is so incredibly small (if I truly even have one) that I know I frequently loose sight of this.

I've know a guy in Santa Fe for the last 20 or so that has come into the LCS every week for just over 25 years and bought and read one copy of every book on the stands. For the fifteen years Before the 1st LCS opened in Santa Fe he bought his books in Albuq. He's not sure exactly what he has, but in his words "I've bought one copy each of every new comic that was at the store every week for 45 years, read them once and stored them."

He said he moved all of his older books out of milk crates and into proper storage boxes (and bags) in the early 80's and has been bagging and boxing them ever since. He's not very hung up on condition, but wouldn't want them to "rot where they sit".

It's got to be one of the largest private collections in the world.

I've been to his office and he's also got an incredible collection of Bowen and other statues. Probably about 150 on display in his office.

Isn't this "Last Great Silver Age Pedigree" stuff just wishful thinking?

We're still seeing Golden Age collections come out, and we've still got decades until all the prime OO Silver collections come to light after the poor guy passes away.