• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Received my first Media Mail package with notice of misuse and postage due
1 1

67 posts in this topic

Of course. As mentioned many times before, Media Mail is not for shipping collectibles with value.

But the point of Media Mail....the old "book rate"...was to cheaply ship educational material.

Many (most?) comics ARE educational material. Many people learned how to read through comics...even some of you reading this now. And there are a lot of comics that are shipped whose conditions aren't particularly relevant.  Banning them from the service contravenes the fact that comics can be educational material, just like any book.

And really...how is Miracleman less educational than, say, "The Duke's Mistress" or "Love, Denied"?

So, the insipid bureaucrat(s) who made up that list has/have completely forgotten the whole point of the service in the first place.

16 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Despite what others have said here, if it's not in the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM), it has no meaning to the USPS officially.

That includes the "guidelines" printed above.

These are mere differences of interpretation, and always have been. Until and unless it is specifically addressed in the DMM...and there's no reason it can't be; e-commerce has been going on for 25 years or so....then it is still a matter of interpretation, not "following or breaking the rules."

Since the pages in comics that originally contained advertising no longer do, they are valid to ship via Media Mail per the DMM. 

And the solution, for those who disagree, is simple: don't use that service. Problem solved.

:roflmao:LOL, dude where do you come up with this stuff?

15 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I don't understand the reason to provide a service that is only for very specific items.

If it fits in the box and is legal to be shipped it should be allowed.

Book - yes

Comics - no

so is a book about comics allowed? It is educational and could possibly be considered a book that will "enhance a person's capabilities", but contains pictures. :ohnoez:

pretty silly IMHO

Look at what's allowed. Educational materials. It's intended to not tax people trying to learn.

17 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

But aside from the technicalities of specific mail services, for us. media mail should be the last delivery mode we want out condition sensitive collectibles to be sent by. Here is a list of books that were damaged, sent to me from sellers using media mail, which is always subject to rifling by USPS personnel::

All raw:

1) X-Men 3: about Fine: Jammed back into the comic bag/board, the back cover and 6 or 7 pages folded up like origami, and torn at the spine.

2) Fantastic Four 87, about NM: Looked like it was removed from the bag/board/mylar and vigorously clenched in a fist before being put back into the housing.

3) Amazing Spider-man 100, about VF: Aggressively thumbed through to put a tear on the right edge of the cover and 4 or 5 pages, and to pop the staples through the cover

The pictures of the books matched the appearance pre-mailing, in all cases, of course without the damage from media mail rifling.

If I were going to sell a raw comic, I would never use the service full well knowing that there's a chance that an extra set of hands (and not caring hands) might be handling the book and damaging it before my buyer ever gets to see it.

Same here. I won't mail comics media mail. 

16 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Of course. As mentioned many times before, Media Mail is not for shipping collectibles with value.

But the point of Media Mail....the old "book rate"...was to cheaply ship educational material.

Many (most?) comics ARE educational material. Many people learned how to read through comics...even some of you reading this now. And there are a lot of comics that are shipped whose conditions aren't particularly relevant.  Banning them from the service contravenes the fact that comics can be educational material, just like any book.

And really...how is Miracleman less educational than, say, "The Duke's Mistress" or "Love, Denied"?

So, the insipid bureaucrat(s) who made up that list has/have completely forgotten the whole point of the service in the first place.

Yes, it was mentioned, that's no revelation to me. Perhaps I should have included a footnote to the effect that it was mentioned and links to where. I didn't think it was necessary, my bad. My reiteration contained details on how a seller, using media mail to send me merchandise affected the condition of the comics.

6 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Yes, it was mentioned, that's no revelation to me. Perhaps I should have included a footnote to the effect that it was mentioned and links to where. I didn't think it was necessary, my bad. My reiteration contained details on how a seller, using media mail to send me merchandise affected the condition of the comics.

My apologies for your confusion; only the first sentence of my statement was referring to your post. I'll strive to make things simpler in the future.

6 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This has been gone over multiple times already.

If it's not in the DMM, it doesn't have any meaning.

It's pretty straightforward.

Well then forgive me if my posting something that somebody else has posted about somewhere and at some time on this forum has offended you.

Edited by James J Johnson

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:
7 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Well then forgive me if my posting something that somebody else has posted offended you.

That was a response to ygogolak, not you. That's what the quote system is for: so people know to whom one is speaking.

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:
5 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

My apologies for your confusion; only the first sentence of my statement was referring to your post. I'll strive to make things simpler in the future.

:roflmao:

It's nice to find people so easily amused. :cloud9:

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's nice to find people so easily amused. :cloud9:

It's just that you're so informative that with my severely challenged and massively impaired mental capacity, it's daunting for me to take it all in. It's like trying to swim across the English Channel for your first time in the water! So it's more a case of nerves than amusement!

How blessed you are. One can only admire! :headbang:

Just now, James J Johnson said:

It's just that you're so informative that with my severely challenged and massively impaired mental capacity, it's daunting for me to take it all in. It's like trying to swim across the English Channel for your first time in the water! So it's more a case of nerves than amusement!

How blessed you are. One can only admire! :headbang:

I'm absolutely delighted to be of service.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

So the USPS website where that expressley say it's prohibited is incorrect?

I left my DMM in my other pants.