• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR TREK IV; THE VOYAGE HOME Movie Poster painting - guesstimates?
1 1

52 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, The Voord said:

Oh, I don't know . . . the original ROBOCOP Movie Poster 'original' (which was basically a touched-up photograph) sold for $47,800.  STAR TREK, I would suggest, has a much-larger following . . . and STAR TREK IV is widely acclaimed as being the best of the bunch (plus the fact it's all original painted art).

robocop.jpg

I respectfully disagree - while Star Trek 4 is definitely considered one of the better movies, I think hands down, Star Trek 2 is widely acclaimed as the best of the bunch, and the gold standard of the franchise.  I think that if the Star Trek 2 artwork came up for auction, the deep pocket people would go nuts.  And if I recall, there is only one painted one sheet image for Star Trek 2 (the other one sheet was based on a series of photographs that ran around the boarder of the title, but I can't recall for certain) which would drive up the value even higher. 

Nevertheless, when we are in the age of seeing covers going for 20k that used to go for 5k a few years ago, I think this poster will fetch in the range of 50-60k easy.  

5 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

For some reason, I don't remember this theatrical release poster at all! :$ This is the one I remember from the video stores...

STAR-TREK-IV-THE-VOYAGE-HOME-William-Sha

Going by the two paintings, which do you prefer...? for marketing? or aesthetically? Or which would win for auction value today?

Hands down, the one for sale, only because I vividly remember it as the movie poster during the release of the film.  Probably more of a nostalgic thing for me, because I think the Kirk/Spock likenesses are better in the home video release.  

star-trek-iv-the-voyage-home-poster.jpg

23 hours ago, The Voord said:

Hello all

Currently having a bit of a heated discussion about the Bob Peak original Movie Poster painting for this much-loved STAR TREK feature film that's due to be auctioned-off soon on Heritage.  Estimate is $40 - 80,000 which I personally feel is realistic.  I know most people here are comic-book artwork fans, but some of us also like Movie and Illustration art.

Any thoughts on the final price . . . what do folks here think it will fetch?  The seller is on my FB group.

Here's the link to the auction:

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmovieposters.ha.com%2Fitm%2Fstar-trek-iv-the-voyage-home-by-bob-peak-paramount-1987-signed-original-mixed-media-poster-artwork-40-x-57-andlt-%2Fp%2F7181-119001.s%3Fic4%3DGalleryView-ShortDescription-071515&h=AT08BTFFCRAWE99LnxxNjbnW0aC3f13uasUbV8I5iRqk82lCa02AnR8YS9ZtLNmQ1NMCqcQD2Lxppbd0fSk2UZQrzRzBGcO-StwYRUE1WQaSGCuXIuo4nBQ_ZYLapT0rWSctbS5-3xC1OfqROw0

And here's an image of the painting:

star trek.jpg

Wrath of Khan poster? $80K easy. This one? No. I’ll say $20K probably. At most. 

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

I'll eat a comic book if it only goes for 20.

Lol.  My earlier flippant comment is admittedly not based on a deep knowledge of originally movie poster art.  So I took it upon myself to educate myself a little more.  Turns out Bob Peak is a big deal in the movie poster biz.  Platoon, Rollerball, the original Star Trek and Pale Rider were a few of his other poster paintings.   Not enough sales of his original art to draw too many conclusions about a final hammer.   I'd personally rather have 4 Norem Savage Sword Covers (or maybe Peak's Apocalypse Now art) for the 40k but to itch his own.

5 hours ago, Grails said:

Has the Star Trek II poster art ever been auctioned? That has to be the grail among Star Trek collectors easily by a mile. I don’t collect movie poster art but I would take a serious run at Wrath of Khan. 

They do not have "Wrath of Khan".

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Lol.  My earlier flippant comment is admittedly not based on a deep knowledge of originally movie poster art.  So I took it upon myself to educate myself a little more.  Turns out Bob Peak is a big deal in the movie poster biz.  Platoon, Rollerball, the original Star Trek and Pale Rider were a few of his other poster paintings.   Not enough sales of his original art to draw too many conclusions about a final hammer.   I'd personally rather have 4 Norem Savage Sword Covers (or maybe Peak's Apocalypse Now art) for the 40k but to itch his own.

I sold the  "Rollerball" art privately a few years ago.

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Peak's art for "Apocalypse Now" would sell for much more than $100K.

I sold an unused final painting for $50K 2 years ago.

3 hours ago, Flambit said:

I respectfully disagree - while Star Trek 4 is definitely considered one of the better movies, I think hands down, Star Trek 2 is widely acclaimed as the best of the bunch, and the gold standard of the franchise.  I think that if the Star Trek 2 artwork came up for auction, the deep pocket people would go nuts.  And if I recall, there is only one painted one sheet image for Star Trek 2 (the other one sheet was based on a series of photographs that ran around the boarder of the title, but I can't recall for certain) which would drive up the value even higher. 

Nevertheless, when we are in the age of seeing covers going for 20k that used to go for 5k a few years ago, I think this poster will fetch in the range of 50-60k easy.  

You may well be right.  I recall Star Trek IV being well received at the time of its release (all my friends loved it) but, yeah, Wrath of Khan is a standout ST movie.  Anything that followed directly on from Star Trek The Motionless Picture and came up with a decent movie experience is bound to be revered! 

Edited by The Voord

On 6/28/2018 at 8:02 AM, The Voord said:

Oh, I don't know . . . the original ROBOCOP Movie Poster 'original' (which was basically a touched-up photograph) sold for $47,800.  STAR TREK, I would suggest, has a much-larger following . . . and STAR TREK IV is widely acclaimed as being the best of the bunch (plus the fact it's all original painted art).

Yeah, but the Robocop image is iconic.  

The Star Trek IV poster, not so much.

On 6/29/2018 at 4:48 AM, ThothAmon said:

I'd personally rather have ... Peak's Apocalypse Now art) for the 40k

I'd personally rather have Peak's Apocalypse Now art for $40k too, but there's no way you get to even stand in the same room as the painting for $40k.

17 hours ago, tth2 said:

I just think they are roughly on the same level 2c

Robocop - lesser franchise, but iconic image, BUT its an airbrushed photo which is a considerable drawback IMO

Star Trek IV - bigger franchise, but not the iconic instalment, but painted art with likenesses of the cast.

I don't think there's a clear winner there really.     So, if the robocop went in the high 40s, and a little time has passed, well, I see the ST4 as 40-60 most likely

17 hours ago, Bronty said:

Robocop - lesser franchise, but iconic image, BUT its an airbrushed photo which is a considerable drawback IMO

Star Trek IV - bigger franchise, but not the iconic instalment, but painted art with likenesses of the cast.

I don't think there's a clear winner there really.     So, if the robocop went in the high 40s, and a little time has passed, well, I see the ST4 as 40-60 most likely

Mostly agree with you, Dan.  Star Trek's longevity, which has lasted decades, eclipses Robocop in my book, and despite me believing it to be the best received movie of the original bunch of movie outings, I do think that ST IV is still a standout entry in its own right.  ST's fanbase is phenomenal (and I wouldn't even class myself as a Trekkie, by the way) and I sorely doubt that Robocop's following comes anywhere close.

In all fairness, I get that the Robocop original (touched-up photograph) 'artwork' will be considered a prize for fans of the original movie . . . but if we transposed the idea of mostly photographic 'artwork' to, say, a comic-book cover for example, Robocop would equate to something like a heavily-statted piece of art.  There would definitely be collectors ready to consume such things . . . but at the end of the day most would be painfully aware the original artwork content is just not the same as a fully-rendered piece.

Edited by The Voord

On 7/1/2018 at 5:11 AM, Bronty said:
On 6/30/2018 at 11:50 AM, tth2 said:

You called it, virtually the same price.

It really underscores how inflated comic book OA is compared to virtually all other forms of illustrated/commercial art.  The price of this massive painting by one of the most popular commercial artists of the late 20th century will go for less than at least 2 panel pages in the current Heritage Signature comic auction.