• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing habits ?

Changing buying habits ?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. When is the last time you read a modern comic ?

• Today
    • This week
    • This month
    • This year
    • More than a year ago

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/21/2018 at 03:07 AM

15 posts in this topic

Batgirl #23 got me thinking about this today. It is a beautiful book and like many, I bought it for the cover alone. That book sold for $49.99 today on eBay. It appears that Ms Marvel #31 Hans Variant May follow the lead of this book. Again, a very nice cover and possibly on the low side as far as the number distributed this week. 

On the other side of the coin we have Amazing Spider-man #4 which features the first appearance of Silk. That book is selling in the $50 ballpark give or take a few dollars. TAH #22 with the first appearance of Weapon H is selling for similar prices. 

Just curious about what people are looking for and is this something new or just something I haven’t paid attention to over the years ?

10 hours ago, the authority said:

Batgirl #23 got me thinking about this today. It is a beautiful book and like many, I bought it for the cover alone. That book sold for $49.99 today on eBay. It appears that Ms Marvel #31 Hans Variant May follow the lead of this book. Again, a very nice cover and possibly on the low side as far as the number distributed this week. 

On the other side of the coin we have Amazing Spider-man #4 which features the first appearance of Silk. That book is selling in the $50 ballpark give or take a few dollars. TAH #22 with the first appearance of Weapon H is selling for similar prices. 

Just curious about what people are looking for and is this something new or just something I haven’t paid attention to over the years ?

What I look for is, story, character, art.

I read my pull each week or at worst every couple of weeks if I'm too busy with work. I've cut back on my impulse "cover" purchases recently, but that AF15 isn't going to buy itself. :bigsmile: Venom #3 is hot with Knull. I haven't finished this yet, but it looks like it's just a cameo/last page? If so, #4 should be the real deal. It's also a GREAT book to read FYI. 

The last couple of years I’ve mostly read non-hero modern books (Image, Dark Horse, Oni, etc.) and very few of the big 2. The only recent exceptions have been Vision, Mr. Miracle, Star Wars, and Kamala Kahn Ms. Marvel. Having said that, spec books are a fun hobby within the hobby and Marvel/DC books are a major component if you want to participate in that side of the hobby.

8 hours ago, Hekla said:

The last couple of years I’ve mostly read non-hero modern books (Image, Dark Horse, Oni, etc.) and very few of the big 2. The only recent exceptions have been Vision, Mr. Miracle, Star Wars, and Kamala Kahn Ms. Marvel. Having said that, spec books are a fun hobby within the hobby and Marvel/DC books are a major component if you want to participate in that side of the hobby.

Can I ask what you used to read?

5 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

Can I ask what you used to read?

Of the big 2, I was a big X-men fan and read a lot of X related titles; but I also enjoyed Brubakers Captain America run, Bendis’s New Avengers, Waid’s Daredevil run, Snyder Batman, Alias, Aaron’s Thor, and big events such as Civil War, Secret Invasion, Annihilation, Old Man Logan, Planet Hulk/WW Hulk, House of M, and Death of the Family. Obviously I was a Marvel guy but still read the occasional DC book. One reason I made the switch to non-hero books mostly due the strength and diversity of stories coming from big name writers doing creator-owned projects but the repeated rebooting is a factor as well.

16 hours ago, Hekla said:

Almost exact same except Star Wars and add both Wolverines

The last modern I read was the Batman : White Knight mini-series, a few weeks back. Excellent story and artwork by Sean Murphy.  Before that, Lemire and Cates' Thanos, Jason Aaron's Thor, Kamala Khan Ms Marvel, and practically everything Tom King's done.

Edited by Ken Aldred

13 hours ago, the authority said:

Lemire, Cates, Aaron, and King. Quality x4. Very nice picks ??

Writers definitely are a deciding factor for which books I'll read. Certain genres appeal to me (sci-fi and time travel) and I'll always check those books out, but great writers make a difference on a seemingly mundane title. Warren Ellis can write a comic about a steamy poo and I'll still buy it.

I gave up buying and reading current "floppies" a few months ago. My subs were whittled down to Batman, Detective, Flash and a few others before I bailed out.I prefer to go the tpb way now. I did pick up the White Knight set and Metal (main series) sets recently. Loved White Knight, Metal not so much.

I'm getting older and have been dealing with severe health issues since 1991. Digging through boxes looking for certain issues has become a PITA. Of course I have a backlog of Ducks and Mice, along with some moderns and a lot of Silver to read.

On 7/2/2018 at 1:41 PM, evilskip said:

I gave up buying and reading current "floppies" a few months ago. My subs were whittled down to Batman, Detective, Flash and a few others before I bailed out.I prefer to go the tpb way now. I did pick up the White Knight set and Metal (main series) sets recently. Loved White Knight, Metal not so much.

I'm getting older and have been dealing with severe health issues since 1991. Digging through boxes looking for certain issues has become a PITA. Of course I have a backlog of Ducks and Mice, along with some moderns and a lot of Silver to read.

Sorry to hear about the health issues and hope you get better.

I still buy some books I think I’ll want later but pay to read stuff online a lot more often these days. ?