• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on what sketchbook to buy
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi All, 

My son has started to show a big interest in comics and I'd like to get him two sketchbooks for when we hit a local con later in the year.  I hear the name Moleskin mentioned a lot, but a friend mentioned that may not be the best for some artists.  Is there a recommended sketchbook that folks stick with for getting con pieces done in?

I was thinking of going for 5 by 8 in terms of size too.

Thanks!

Simon

FWIW, when I was doing a lot of shows, I used an 11” x 14” leather presentation portfolio with sleeves. I’d let the artists flip through the book first to see what other had done, and then I’d supply the artists 11”x 14” sheets of Bristol board to work with. I carried it around in small hard shell artist case with a shoulder strap, and in that I kept my portfolio book, extra sheets of Bristol, and a variety of pens, brush pens, and whatnot. Oh and some reference material for the theme, in the outside chance someone was interested and needed a refresher.

But the purpose of the loosesheets vs bound book was so I could meet up with more artists and leave the paper with them, rather than have to wait for one to get around to it (or have it and not get to it) and lose the day while it sat with them.

So on one had there is a romance in having a Molskine or other bound sketchbook. It presents certain practical challenges. If you do go with a bound sketchbook of any kind, just be sure the stock is heavy enough to minimize bleed through from one side of the page to another. And if it lies flat on a table for drawing, without someone having to hold it open with one hand, to keep pages from trying to flip shut and get in their way... artists will appreciate that.

Also if he sees someone getting ready to draw with a marker, or is drawing with markers, he can offer them his book with a pigment/India ink pen, in the hopes they might use that, so the marker doesn’t bleed through over time.

6 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

FWIW, when I was doing a lot of shows, I used an 11” x 14” leather presentation portfolio with sleeves. I’d let the artists flip through the book first to see what other had done, and then I’d supply the artists 11”x 14” sheets of Bristol board to work with. I carried it around in small hard shell artist case with a shoulder strap, and in that I kept my portfolio book, extra sheets of Bristol, and a variety of pens, brush pens, and whatnot. Oh and some reference material for the theme, in the outside chance someone was interested and needed a refresher.

But the purpose of the loosesheets vs bound book was so I could meet up with more artists and leave the paper with them, rather than have to wait for one to get around to it (or have it and not get to it) and lose the day while it sat with them.

So on one had there is a romance in having a Molskine or other bound sketchbook. It presents certain practical challenges. If you do go with a bound sketchbook of any kind, just be sure the stock is heavy enough to minimize bleed through from one side of the page to another. And if it lies flat on a table for drawing, without someone having to hold it open with one hand, to keep pages from trying to flip shut and get in their way... artists will appreciate that.

Also if he sees someone getting ready to draw with a marker, or is drawing with markers, he can offer them his book with a pigment/India ink pen, in the hopes they might use that, so the marker doesn’t bleed through over time.

Thank you @ESeffinga for your excellent response!

I'm aiming for small to keep costs down, and a sketchbook over loose sheets to enforce patience for him, and more cost control.  I also think, years down the line, it will be fun for him to look back on and see in one bound book all the drawings he had done when he didn't know any better.  So yeah, I'm definitely looking for romance here!    

It sounds like I should stop by an art store and open up a couple of books to see how they stay open, and then get some india ink pens to avoid markers, which I personally hate so that is a great suggestion.

Thanks again!

Simon

In that case, a Molskine might be perfect. About 10 years ago they really took off in a sort of hipster popularity. With all that growth, what used to be a niche art product is now available all over, and in a ton of varieties. Last I looked there were all kinds of paper choices and sizes available from the company. 

I only mention it so you are on the hunt for one with a paper stock you think will work.  The thicker the paper. The more resistance to laying flat. But less pressure and bleed through.

Another great option can be the hard cover coil bound sketchbooks. They’ll lay perfectly, and paper weight has no impact.

Again, less sex appeal than the Molskine, but in that kind of Beats headphones or Bose speakers sort of way. Sure there are better performing products, but it’s such a nice looking item.

In school I filled 4 or 5 of those little 3x5 or 4x6 coil bound hardback sketchbooks. I stuck a fat rubber band around them when out and about, and they had stickers n whatnot on the covers. I put my contact info inside the cover (in case I lost one) and I loved those things to death. I’ve even got an 8x10 size one in the closet that I use from time to time. They are super handy.

Bit IMO you should take the youngster to pick out his own book. Advise, but ultimately Let him pick. Learning experience! Plus bonding over art and art supplies is !!!!

I was never able to get my children interested in comics, but, they would sometimes act interested if their dad was interested. If he is interested in comics, that's great. But you may want to see if he also shares your interest in OA before setting him up with anything expensive. I don't mean the book, I mean some of those commissions.

I've been happy with my Canson Mix Media wirebound books. Some of them have this terrific chart to help you select what you want based on what your artists are likely to use. At a con, that's normally pencil, pen&ink, and marker.

Based on the chart, I probably should have bought a book with Illustration Bristol or Mi-Teintest Pastel paper in it.

image.thumb.png.d4c637bf5f55ee67e82d121a585bb7c6.png

My only other suggestions on sketchbooks themselves are:

• Heavier paper is generally better (less bleed through)
  • Carry a sheet of thick paper to use as a backer for the sheet that they draw on.
  • Use a wirebound book because the pages lie flat
  • There's a lot to be said for hard covers

One more suggestion, record the artist, the art and the commissioner in the sketchbook.

1. When you pickup the art, record the artist's name, location and date on the bottom of the page that was drawn on and take a picture of the art, the artist, and, optionally, the commissioner.
  2. When you get home, do this:
  • Go to an art supply store and buy archival see-thru Mounting Corners (see below)
  • Print the photos as 4x6 at Walgreen's or wherever (it's really cheap)
  • When you have your picture, mount the corners on the back of the previous page and insert the photo

If you should ever want to sell the page, remove the picture from its back and replace it with the picture from the back of the previous page and you have provenance. If you never sell, you have a great memory book. Try it, you'll like it.

image.thumb.png.153fbdf7b278a903a2300fb012c938b5.pngimage.thumb.png.03077e008aabc93b4fdb202188be28aa.png

Finally, and this is really important, label your book!

Tape a business card on it with your mobile number and name. Do something to make it clear that it's yours and how to find you. Most people are honest and will try to get in touch if you give them a chance. I put a label on the front cover and on the inside.

Edited by alxjhnsn

On 7/6/2018 at 7:15 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I was never able to get my children interested in comics, but, they would sometimes act interested if their dad was interested. If he is interested in comics, that's great. But you may want to see if he also shares your interest in OA before setting him up with anything expensive. I don't mean the book, I mean some of those commissions.

I'd say right now he has an interest.  He saw a Fantastic Four half-splash I got recently and he wanted it and moved on to wanting me to frame it when I said no.  I'm seeing a small sketchbook as a way for him to get something personal and not breaking the bank.

Just now, alxjhnsn said:

Hope my advice helps, but remember "Free advice is worth what you pay for it." (paraphrase of Robert Half)

It's definitely appreciated!  I think I'm more in favor of the bound book, just so it holds up better over time, but we'll venture to a shop in the coming weeks and see what we see!