• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mods
1 1

41 posts in this topic

I don't think it's been mentioned, but not only does Paypal forbid using Friends and Family payment for the purchase of merchandise, it also prohibits sellers from adding a surcharge for using Paypal as a payment method. In other words, you can't price something at $100 and then say add 3-4% on top of that if using Paypal to pay for the item. I see a lot of big time dealers on the boards adding this surcharge on their sales and it violates Paypal's terms of service. As it was mentioned above, the 3% fee is the cost of doing business and the price you pay for getting paid in seconds rather than waiting for a check to arrive in the mail.

19 hours ago, MadGenius said:

I don't think it's been mentioned, but not only does Paypal forbid using Friends and Family payment for the purchase of merchandise, it also prohibits sellers from adding a surcharge for using Paypal as a payment method. In other words, you can't price something at $100 and then say add 3-4% on top of that if using Paypal to pay for the item. I see a lot of big time dealers on the boards adding this surcharge on their sales and it violates Paypal's terms of service. As it was mentioned above, the 3% fee is the cost of doing business and the price you pay for getting paid in seconds rather than waiting for a check to arrive in the mail.

I see people ask to add the 3% all the time on Instagram.

21 hours ago, MadGenius said:

It's also the price you have to pay for Neteller, e-wallet, europay, etc. being forced out of the market by the government and competing with paypal.

Edited by SteppinRazor

On 7/21/2018 at 9:45 PM, rube11 said:

HOW do you get in touch with the mods..my thread in the golden/silver/bronze for sale was pulled a SECOND time after I thought all the damm rules were followed...:frustrated:

NOW I want to know why

Thanks,

SR

Did you ever get an answer, @rube11?

You would think that if a thread was so egregious that it warrants pulling, the creator of the thread would at least be informed to why at the same time the thread is pulled.

1 hour ago, DeadOne said:

Did you ever get an answer, @rube11?

You would think that if a thread was so egregious that it warrants pulling, the creator of the thread would at least be informed to why at the same time the thread is pulled.

Nope...and I have sent a PM to Arch..

At some point I will have ALL the front covers scanned on my books (was trying not to list 400+ scans and hold up a thread in a section) and that would be the only reason why I can think it was pulled..

2 minutes ago, rube11 said:

At some point I will have ALL the front covers scanned on my books (was trying not to list 400+ scans and hold up a thread in a section) and that would be the only reason why I can think it was pulled..

Hi Rube,

Arch will hopefully clarify but don't take it personally that the mods haven't been in touch. That is normal.

The process of removing a post or thread is documented but rarely followed in my experience. You are supposed to receive an advice to say that the post / thread has been moved to the 'Your Posts Removed by Moderators' forum:

1c.thumb.PNG.1dd1cd00b44f85d537134572f69e28e5.PNG

There only you and the mods can see it in full and you can cut and paste content to a new thread / post once you know what you did wrong.

The advice should tell you what you did wrong.

If you've had neither, ask Arch for them.

Good luck.

29 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Hi Rube,

Arch will hopefully clarify but don't take it personally that the mods haven't been in touch. That is normal.

The process of removing a post or thread is documented but rarely followed in my experience. You are supposed to receive an advice to say that the post / thread has been moved to the 'Your Posts Removed by Moderators' forum:

1c.thumb.PNG.1dd1cd00b44f85d537134572f69e28e5.PNG

There only you and the mods can see it in full and you can cut and paste content to a new thread / post once you know what you did wrong.

The advice should tell you what you did wrong.

If you've had neither, ask Arch for them.

Good luck.

Yeah, I got that, and it was on the first removal which stated item #7 which was listing scans...so when I reposted I started posting scans on the books being requested.  Again I was trying NOT to list 400+ scans in the thread. I have seen many threads over the years, with very little scans specifically for that reason...I guess it changed OR I still have a boardie with a bug up his arze looking for something wrong in my threads so he can tell on me

9 minutes ago, rube11 said:

OR I still have a boardie with a bug up his arze looking for something wrong in my threads so he can tell on me

They do exist, alas. Probably reporting your masking of arse as we speak....

12 minutes ago, rube11 said:

Yeah, I got that, and it was on the first removal which stated item #7 which was listing scans...so when I reposted I started posting scans on the books being requested.  Again I was trying NOT to list 400+ scans in the thread. I have seen many threads over the years, with very little scans specifically for that reason...I guess it changed OR I still have a boardie with a bug up his arze looking for something wrong in my threads so he can tell on me

I've seen threads where scans are linked to a photo hosting site, that shouldn't be a problem.  I've also seen threads with titles and condition listed, with no scans.

13 minutes ago, rube11 said:

Scans aren’t a requirement; you need to list scans or information about the grade. Here’s the whole list of guidelines:

I didn’t notice anything amiss, but wasn’t scrutinizing and the first thread was pulled so fast i didn’t even see it.

On 7/22/2018 at 12:21 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

I have no comment on the motivations of people who act as, as you put it, "self-appointed mods", but you're still misunderstanding the issue, as many people who don't want to pay Paypal to use their services do.

Paypal provides a service. That service has a cost. There is no "workaround" in the manner you're attempting to use it.

Here's the pertinent statement:

"You may not use the “send money to a friend or family member” feature in your PayPal account when you are paying for goods and services."

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full

2049783842_paypaluseragreementsendingpayments.thumb.png.a29dab69eac7d7ef2f20bfa3112c502d.png

(Sorry for the small size.)

Paypal provides a service. They are not a charity. This board maintains a "Probation List" for people for infractions even as small as not completing a sale which, while admittedly frustrating and a theft of time, doesn't rise to the level of actually stealing money from Paypal by circumventing their fees.

Shouldn't even be controversial, yet...here we are.

Where is Harvey Swick when we need him. :roflmao:

Edited by Awax

12 hours ago, rube11 said:

there's a few babies here :preach: that get that diaper in a bunch

28 minutes ago, Azkaban said:

diaper rash, is what it is.  

On 7/21/2018 at 8:33 PM, comicquant said:

I had someone tell me my PayPal acceptance declaration wasn’t right because I mentioned friends and family.  Why that’s an issue I don’t know but I guess it’s only fair that we pay the 3% fees (I say that jokingly of course).  Anyway, I was warned by self appointed mods and not the real ones.  But the nebulous nature of the payment rules tends to be the one the button humpers jump on the most.

Using personal paypal to buy and sell violates your paypal agreement and CGC can't condone such activity publicly.  I'd imagine CGC could be open to legal action if they did.

Considering there's really not a lot of buyer or seller protection on the boards other than the probation thread, using personal paypal and abandoning their buyer and seller protection in general may not be a good idea.

21 hours ago, rube11 said:

They do require either a grade or a picture for each book. If selling by lot, a grade for the books in the lot needs to be provided. Some threads also get pulled for return policy violations..... one has to be provided ….. even if you just say that you DON'T accept returns. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

13 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
11 hours ago, Awax said:

Is that a zing? I can't tell if it's a zing. ;)

Read the statement out loud, then say 'Zing' at the end.  see how it sounds.

11 hours ago, Azkaban said:
23 hours ago, rube11 said:

The mods don't (generally, if ever) remove sales threads without specific cause, some specific violation of the rules. Simply reporting a thread doesn't automatically get it removed, regardless of the motives of the person reporting. And people who abuse the reporting system have also been nailed for doing so. Regarding such reporting as "babies that get that diaper in a bunch", then, isn't really a fair or legitimate characterization of the situation.

I don't visit the sales area often, and I've reported maybe 5 threads in the 13+ years I've been here, usually for "friends and family Paypal" offers. The rules may seem unwieldy, but lots of sellers manage to abide by them every day, so it can't be too difficult.

Just now, revat said:
14 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
11 hours ago, Awax said:

Is that a zing? I can't tell if it's a zing. ;)

Read the statement out loud, then say 'Zing' at the end.  see how it sounds.

lol

Oddly enough, that's what I did. :D