• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FINALLY, the Wrightson Frankenstein Artist Edition

32 posts in this topic

Could someone educate me on this please?

The original apparently had 47 "plates" but there were several (exact number = ? Anyone know?) plates that were either not included or were left unfinished (is this correct? Are these referred to as the "Lost" plates"?)

How many of the 47 published plates and the unused, unfinished plates will appear in this volume?  Are all of the plates in this volume sourced from the original art?  If not, what are the other sources?  Will the plates in this volume be the same size as the original art?  Was the art ever published in colour?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Could someone educate me on this please?

The original apparently had 47 "plates" but there were several (exact number = ? Anyone know?) plates that were either not included or were left unfinished (is this correct? Are these referred to as the "Lost" plates"?)

How many of the 47 published plates and the unused, unfinished plates will appear in this volume?  Are all of the plates in this volume sourced from the original art?  If not, what are the other sources?  Will the plates in this volume be the same size as the original art?  Was the art ever published in colour?

Thanks!

Artist, Kelly Jones was given them with Wrightson wanting him to finish his work when he knew he would be unable to himself. You can actually see them with Kelly in an early video upload by Ethan Van Sciver when his Youtube channel was still more comic based when he interviewed Kelly Jones for it.  Even if you don't like him I recommend watching it. It's a pretty good video where KJ talks about a lot of how he got into comics, his start and how Marshal Rogers even gave him a small drawing lesson when he was a teenager at a convention. He shows the Frankenstein stuff at around 1 hour 30 minute mark.

DP Jr, I'm afraid you are conflating the recent Frankenstein: Alive, Alive! project with Wrightson's seminal original Frankenstein book that was published in 1983.

Unless I'm off base here, and I doubt I am, the new IDW AE Frankenstein book being discussed in this thread is the original material created for that 1980s edition of Frankenstein. People have been clamoring for that work to see an AE edition as long as the format has existed. It was not comics pages, but rather book plates that illustrated scenes from the original Shelley novel.

The project Jones discusses with Cyberfrog guy in the video you posted, is the Frankenstein: Alive, Alive! comic that was left uncomplete when Bernie passed away. He actually handed the torch to Jones and requested he finish by inking the project so it could be released. It was puplished by IDW, but this AE is totally different content and 3 decades older. There are many incompleted original Frankenstein plates out there, but Kelley's never touched one to ink, that I'm aware of. I doubt he would if asked, since it wouldn't be Bernie asking him to.

Edited by ESeffinga

12 hours ago, tlatner said:

Is this the project that Frank Darabont started years ago?  I own one of the plates and had a high-res scan made for him back in 2005.

I have heard that the original Darabont scans are a possible source for this Artist Edition, but is not final.

9 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

DP Jr, I'm afraid you are conflating the recent Frankenstein: Alive, Alive! project with Wrightson's seminal original Frankenstein book that was published in 1983.

Unless I'm off base here, and I doubt I am, the new IDW AE Frankenstein book being discussed in this thread is the original material created for that 1980s edition of Frankenstein. People have been clamoring for that work to see an AE edition as long as the format has existed. It was not comics pages, but rather book plates that illustrated scenes from the original Shelley novel.

The project Jones discusses with Cyberfrog guy in the video you posted, is the Frankenstein: Alive, Alive! comic that was left uncomplete when Bernie passed away. He actually handed the torch to Jones and requested he finish by inking the project so it could be released. It was puplished by IDW, but this AE is totally different content and 3 decades older. There are many incompleted original Frankenstein plates out there, but Kelley's never touched one to ink, that I'm aware of. I doubt he would if asked, since it wouldn't be Bernie asking him to.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for the correction.

7 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I have heard that the original Darabont scans are a possible source for this Artist Edition, but is not final.

Thanks -- I'm assuming that's probably the case since no one has contacted me about a scan.  Also, I'm pretty sure Darabont had scanned most of the plates (and probably gave copies to Berni), so it would be silly to start over now.  

4 hours ago, bisquitodoom said:

Anyone know how big the originals were?  I have some of the prints that were put out a few years back, and some of those were pretty big.  Just wondering how large this guy will end up being. 

The published plates I've seen have an art area of around 11 x 17 on slightly larger board (I think around 15 x 20).  I don't know if IDW will bother printing the borders as those generally don't have too much of interest on them.  

18 minutes ago, spider9698 said:

Anyone here have the best way to get ahold of Scott at IDW.   I have emailed him a few times asking if he needed scans and no response.

Scott is out of the office this week.  Try again next week? (I think).

Scott

With previous artist editions, you see the art.  And you can read the story. 

Noone has mentioned the actual story.  Granted, the text might take more pages than actual art.  But is there an effort to include the text, even if it's in really small print ?? 

Does anyone think that anything is lost by not having Mary Shelley's text with the art ?? 

1 hour ago, Will_K said:

With previous artist editions, you see the art.  And you can read the story. 

Noone has mentioned the actual story.  Granted, the text might take more pages than actual art.  But is there an effort to include the text, even if it's in really small print ?? 

Does anyone think that anything is lost by not having Mary Shelley's text with the art ?? 

I seriously doubt there will be text included, and frankly in this case, the text is not why I would get one of these artists editions.  YMMV of course, but I've had the Wrightson Frankenstein book ever since it came out, and have never been particularly compelled to read it, which may very well be my loss.  I view this as an art book only (especially since I already know the Frankenstein story), and my only concern is that enough of the actual plates are represented to make it seem mostly whole.