• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miracleman
5 5

919 posts in this topic

Further copy of #26 sold last week, along with #25 and #28-40 inclusive. Plus a further run of later numbers. £350 hammer price for the lot.

Same sale had YM #25-29 and a further run of later numbers. £200 hammer price for the lot.

crikey

which auction was that? missed completely and I'm on most of them daily

who bought them?

Further copy of #26 sold last week, along with #25 and #28-40 inclusive. Plus a further run of later numbers. £350 hammer price for the lot.

Same sale had YM #25-29 and a further run of later numbers. £200 hammer price for the lot.

crikey

which auction was that? missed completely and I'm on most of them daily

who bought them?

Not me! Details!!!

https://www.andersonandgarland.com/Town-County-Sale-Day-1/25-10-2016?gridtype=listview

Lots 180 & 181 I missed it by two hours.

Check out the whole catalogue, lot of very nice British stuff

So yea...

I'm pretty sure the MM 25 and YM 25 are FACSIMILIES - copies

If not, then suddenly two previously unknown high grade copies have suddenly come to market. The YM 25 looks particularly "unlikely"

Remember, dozens of issues were very carefully copied in the 1990s for an "art" project. The paper is white and much more modern than the originals.

It's pretty shocking.

But it's even more shocking if I'm wrong and they went for such a low amount! :o

Looking at some of the other pics... well I'm not so sure now

There's some quite amazing stuff in that auction - the prices are almost making me cry. Many hammer prices are about 10% of resell value... good grief

Some of the later MMs are definitely real as have rusty staples

The grades on some other British titles look unreal

Am totally gob-smacked :o

I've seen the fake ones and I've had a real copy of #25.

I've checked out the pictures v closely.

I think they're real.

Some of the other lots are also quite astonishing tbh.

I've been in contact with the auction house, it was all legit. Totally genuine sale.

I came across it two hours after it finished without knowing the hammer prices, when I found out later that day I was OMG!

I would have bought around half of all the lots at easily double or triple the hammer prices and not blinked. But the MM and YM..... Jeeeeeez...

And remember, no one ever copied the #26...

No that's true. You're right.

I just can't believe how nice they all look

The auction house is on the Saleroom & Invaluable so I can't understand how it didn't register...

Wonder where it all came from

Wonder where it all went... :cry:

Tell me about it...

Some of the other lots are just mind bending if you know anything at all about British comics.

Didn't come up for me on saleroom or invaluable too, I only found it because one of my customers sent me a link saying I might be interested.

And yeah, he'd sent the link the day before the auction... Kill me now.

Looking at the prices realised you'd have to say that probably one person knew what they were bidding on and everyone else was just bidding for curiosity value. I think one person has most likely picked up a huge majority of the lots by just bidding on everything.

That's what I would have done.

For a couple grand outlay I think they're looking at a nice house deposit...

Tell me about it...

Some of the other lots are just mind bending if you know anything at all about British comics.

Didn't come up for me on saleroom or invaluable too, I only found it because one of my customers sent me a link saying I might be interested.

Looking at the prices realised you'd have to say that probably one person knew what they were bidding on and everyone else was just bidding for curiosity value. I think one person has most likely picked up a huge majority of the lots by just bidding on everything.

Yes easily 20k +

And agree entirely with your assessment of the bidding too...

Still I've had my fair share of wins over the years

Actually hope a lot of it comes to market again, particularly the MM & YM books

Don't know about you but using Salesroom is very hit and miss. Another auction I'm certain I won everything bidded on but none went through. I'm pretty sure in others I ended up bidding against myself! lol

Tell me about it...

Yes easily 20k +

And agree entirely with your assessment of the bidding too...

Still I've had my fair share of wins over the years

Actually hope a lot of it comes to market again, particularly the MM & YM books

Don't know about you but using Salesroom is very hit and miss. Another auction I'm certain I won everything bidded on but none went through. I'm pretty sure in others I ended up bidding against myself! lol

Someone definitely got ripped off. Either the buyer--because those 25s look too good to be true--or the seller if they're real.

It's very hard for me to imagine that someone had 60-year-old comics and didn't do a cursory online search and find out how much interest there was in them. If Ewan didn't hear about this auction, and I never did, then a lot of hardcore buyers probably didn't either, and the seller--IF these aren't facsimiles--could've likely gotten ten times what they got.

Would love to see better pictures, but the paper quality of the 25s on top look a lot more like the facsimiles I've seen/have than they do like the copies of the real thing.

Would also love to hear from the seller about the provenance! Either way...wow.

I know it's difficult to believe they're not facsimiles, but common sense kind of dictates that they're not. There's a #26 in the run, there's the run of Capt. Marvel and Capt marvel Jr in the same auction which obviously directly lead into the MM and YM, plus all the other lots with the same kind of comics from the same time period.

I also get the thing about the cursory online search... But then if you search for MM sales on eBay then £10 each doesn't actually look wrong. Plus they estimated the lots with #1 issues in them higher, remember it takes someone actually very interested in those particular comics themselves to even know issue #25 or #26 is x1000 better than #1.

I think they're real and even if I'm wrong, there's another #26 about...

Edited by koollectablz

I live less than 5 minutes drive from the Auction house, I normally drop the missus at the supermarket and have a wander in at least once per week to see if there are any decent books in upcoming sales while she does the food shopping.

Due to ill health I have been unable to get out for the last few months or I would have spotted this and been there in person, dear me what did I miss :(

I know it's difficult to believe they're not facsimiles, but common sense kind of dictates that they're not. There's a #26 in the run, there's the run of Capt. Marvel and Capt marvel Jr in the same auction which obviously directly lead into the MM and YM, plus all the other lots with the same kind of comics from the same time period.

I also get the thing about the cursory online search... But then if you search for MM sales on eBay then £10 each doesn't actually look wrong. Plus they estimated the lots with #1 issues in them higher, remember it takes someone actually very interested in those particular comics themselves to even know issue #25 or #26 is x1000 better than #1.

I think they're real and even if I'm wrong, there's another #26 about...

Well, a couple things I'd say...first, they could be a mix of facsimiles and real. Second, do we know for sure no facsimile was made of 26? Thirdly, there were facsimiles made of the Capt. Marvel and Capt. Marvel Jr. issues leading up to Marvelman. And fourthly, if that's a word, in my experience the facsimiles of all these issues are more common than the originals. (With a couple of exceptions--Capt. Marvel 20 or so seems to show up a lot).

In any case, your common sense and mine have no bearing on what's real. It's simply an empirical question that only someone examining them can answer. I based my guess--and that's definitely all it is--on comparing the pictures with all the early issues I've seen and own. It's hard to imagine how the absolutely crummy paper they used survived this long with that kind of brightness, suppleness, etc. All that said, I could be wrong! Would love to get the story either way.

i guess thats all true? But as far as I'm aware no #26 was ever made. If it had been it would stretch the realms of incruduality to believe that no one, inc the one guy with a full set had never even seen it or heard of it.

My gut says, taking the whole auction into account (some of the other lots are actually up there with the MM and YM in quality imo), that they appear to be real. The MM #25 certainly shows various age related defects, tears to the spine, wear to all edges etc.

YMMV.

Oh and I have a full run of original Capt Marvel Jr #1-24, mine look easily as good or better than these. I've had various orignal MM that look like they were printed yesterday too.

i guess thats all true? But as far as I'm aware no #26 was ever made. If it had been it would stretch the realms of incruduality to believe that no one, inc the one guy with a full set had never even seen it or heard of it.

My gut says, taking the whole auction into account (some of the other lots are actually up there with the MM and YM in quality imo), that they appear to be real. The MM #25 certainly shows various age related defects, tears to the spine, wear to all edges etc.

YMMV.

Oh and I have a full run of original Capt Marvel Jr #1-24, mine look easily as good or better than these. I've had various orignal MM that look like they were printed yesterday too.

Well, if you've seen contemporary issues with comparable page quality, that certainly makes it a lot more plausible. It still boggles the mind that this collection was taken care of in that kind of condition without owner OR THE AUCTION HOUSE! figuring out what they had and maximizing their return on it. Tragic.

Had another look today.

I think the MM 25 is legit as the facscimilie does not have the tear front from margin 3/4 up the cover.

The YM 25 looks like the fac copy but as we've said no way of knowing unless you could personally inspect each issue

MM 26 did NOT have a fac done. However, there were 100s of other issues MM YM MF and CM / CMJ that did.

So we now have THREE MM 26's known out there. :o

A lot of the other comics: 1950s Milllers, T&P, Alan Class look stunning too. I just don't get how such a collection could be so badly sold. Assume it's a deceased estate with ignorant relations...? Who knows..

Even the Marvel UK stuff, like a run of CB, including no.1 & no.8 for £20

Probably L Miller Phantoms in there somewhere - £100+ each

Anyway, I reckon it'll all come to market... Compal would wet their pant to get it (as would I !) ;)

[i've had various orignal MM that look like they were printed yesterday too.

Well, if you've seen contemporary issues with comparable page quality, that certainly makes it a lot more plausible.

I have about 450+ of the MM run

I'd say 300 are FN or lower

40 VF range

10 VF to NM, and just 4 of those 9.4 or above

There are high grade "file" copies out there that could pass as facsimilies in a small pic - but close up the paper is totally different

I understand Derek's run is mostly high grade