• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade my Action Comics #40

19 posts in this topic

I bought this book a few months ago, I am going to send it to CGC, it will be my first submission, the few things I see are the scuffing in the lower left corner, very slight tear at top staple and it does have what appears to be "production" roller scuffs in the logo running through "comics", and some very light scuffs on the tank wheels. don't know if CGC would dig it for those or not, I have seen identical marks on other copies of Action #40. let me know what you think.

I will post the grade here once I receive in back from CGC.

thanks

ACT40.jpg

ACT1.jpg

The front is pretty sharp, looks like some moisture damage in the back top right edge and some heavy foxing bottom right edge. Light sun shawdow, but very nice overall eye appeal.

I would grade this as a 6.5 maybe 7.0.

no moisture damage, it's just light dirt on the back, I know it's hard to tell from the pics, when I get my digital camera back (a friend borrowed it mad.gif ) I can take actual photos instead of scans like these...

I'd also say 7.5/8.0. Very sharp looking copy. The cgc census has one at 9.2 with the next highest at 7.5. So with a little luck you could have the 2nd best copy graded to date. How did you acquire it?

I got it from Metropolis Comics.... they had it graded at F/VF 7.0, but when I received it I thought it was a little nicer than that grade.. hopefully, maybe.. but I could be wrong...I'm sending it out to CGC tomorrow morning, so fingers crossed.... love your Avatar by the way......Butters rocks !! headbang.gif

well, I've been looking at CGC graded Action's on Heritage Auctions past auctions and it's really hard too tell, I see some 8.0s that aren't as nice as this one with bug chews in the back cover, and also I see a really nice copy that only gets a 4.0, so, it's really hard to gauge how they will grade it.... 7.0 or higher, and I'm happy... plus, I really dig this cover..so I'm already a winner... grin.gif

I got it from Metropolis Comics.... they had it graded at F/VF 7.0, but when I received it I thought it was a little nicer than that grade.. hopefully, maybe.. but I could be wrong...I'm sending it out to CGC tomorrow morning, so fingers crossed.... love your Avatar by the way......Butters rocks !! headbang.gif

Yeah, Butters as Professor Chaos is hilarious.

How long ago did you get this book from Metro? I remember looking at a #40 Metro had at Wizard World Chicago last year and I almost bought it. I think they graded it a 7.0 too so I bet its the same copy. I probably would have bought it if I wasn't low on funds. Good pickup.

Yeah, Butters as Professor Chaos is hilarious.

How long ago did you get this book from Metro? I remember looking at a #40 Metro had at Wizard World Chicago last year and I almost bought it. I think they graded it a 7.0 too so I bet its the same copy. I probably would have bought it if I wasn't low on funds. Good pickup.

yeah, it probably is the same one, I got it about two months ago,..I at first ordered a Superman #18 in F+, but when I received it, it was very brown on the inside... so I sent it back and got the Action #40, they have another in VF+ for $2100.00, but you can see some slight browning on one of the edges.. so that scared me (along with the price), if I'm paying $2100.00 for a book it better be near perfect...

well, I've been looking at CGC graded Action's on Heritage Auctions past auctions and it's really hard too tell, I see some 8.0s that aren't as nice as this one with bug chews in the back cover, and also I see a really nice copy that only gets a 4.0, so, it's really hard to gauge how they will grade it.... 7.0 or higher, and I'm happy... plus, I really dig this cover..so I'm already a winner... grin.gif

Good luck 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

that's a beautiful front cover - great color and gloss on a book that's 60 years old.

that "light dirt" on the back cover URC concerns me. nothing against Metro, but i would guess most dealers would have cleaned that up if was simple dirt. i hope that's all it is.................6.5 - 7.5.............