• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about grading fees.

16 posts in this topic

Ok, forgive me if this has been answered before, while I have been collecting comics since G.I.Joe number 1 hit the stands, I have never sent books in to be graded.  My question is how do you determine which tier to submit in, where do you get the "price"?

For example, say you have Comic XYZ that meets the criteria as a 9.2 grade.  Say that book in 9.2 sells raw for $785 according to OSPG.  This puts the book in the "Standard" tier which would cost $65 for CGC to grade.  However a CGC 9.2 of Comic XYZ sells for $2,500, which puts it at the "Express" tier of $100 to grade.

Which number does CGC use to charge you? The raw OSPG, or the after stabbing value?

I'd like to know this answer to this too, having never submitted.

According to this:

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/?index=true

....Express is capped at 3,000 so what do you do for books more valuable? Also, how does a book coming back as restored affect what you pay? Who decides the FMV for a restored AF15 for example?

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I....Express is capped at 3,000 so what do you do for books more valuable? Also, how does a book coming back as restored affect what you pay? Who decides the FMV for a restored AF15 for example?

If more than 3K, you are supposed to submit as a Walkthrough. You can put it in Express and, upon grading, CGC may bump you to the higher tier. The restored question happened to me once on an AF15 . I submitted it as a Walkthrough and was billed at FMV. Upon the resto, they gave me a credit on the FMV of the book. Note, this is only true of Walkthrough. If a resto is discovered on any other Tier, too bad.

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If more than 3K, you are supposed to submit as a Walkthrough. You can put it in Express and, upon grading, CGC may bump you to the higher tier. The restored question happened to me once on an AF15 . I submitted it as a Walkthrough and was billed at FMV. Upon the resto, they gave me a credit on the FMV of the book. Note, this is only true of Walkthrough. If a resto is discovered on any other Tier, too bad.

Cheers Bob. Seems a bit unfair. Maybe I'll find out more when I walk through the London office with my one.... (if it ever opens that is)

On 7/25/2018 at 7:02 PM, media_junkie said:

Ok, forgive me if this has been answered before, while I have been collecting comics since G.I.Joe number 1 hit the stands, I have never sent books in to be graded.  My question is how do you determine which tier to submit in, where do you get the "price"?

For example, say you have Comic XYZ that meets the criteria as a 9.2 grade.  Say that book in 9.2 sells raw for $785 according to OSPG.  This puts the book in the "Standard" tier which would cost $65 for CGC to grade.  However a CGC 9.2 of Comic XYZ sells for $2,500, which puts it at the "Express" tier of $100 to grade.

Which number does CGC use to charge you? The raw OSPG, or the after stabbing value?

Don't over analyze this. CGC is very lenient with the tier selection. They can, at their discretion, bump you to a higher tier if necessary. Usually, this is a good thing as you pay a little more but you have a higher than expected grade on your book. Also, keep in mind, your insurance through this whole process is based on what you declare.

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Cheers Bob. Seems a bit unfair. Maybe I'll find out more when I walk through the London office with my one.... (if it ever opens that is)

Cheers back at ya ! Just curious what aspect of this you find a bit unfair ? Most seasoned submitters don't over declare, usually submitting in the lower tier for a tweener. CGC has still performed all the work. It would not be fair to them to rebate your money if you simply didn't like the results. (shrug)

Just now, The Lions Den said:

Sometimes being too busy has it's advantages...

Very true, however, if they were perceived to be strict about it, it would raise the conflict of interest question. In the bigger business picture, it behooves them to be lenient. Honestly, of all the things people complain about, I never hear complaints about getting bumped. It's only happened to me a couple, maybe 3 times and I was ecstatic about it.

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Very true, however, if they were perceived to be strict about it, it would raise the conflict of interest question. In the bigger business picture, it behooves them to be lenient. Honestly, of all the things people complain about, I never hear complaints about getting bumped. It's only happened to me a couple, maybe 3 times and I was ecstatic about it.

So that's where this came from...:bump:

11 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Cheers back at ya ! Just curious what aspect of this you find a bit unfair ? Most seasoned submitters don't over declare, usually submitting in the lower tier for a tweener. CGC has still performed all the work. It would not be fair to them to rebate your money if you simply didn't like the results. (shrug)

The bit about resto on a paid tier. Did I understand you right? You get charged the unrestored FMV tier rate, it comes back restored - and therefore with with a much lower value - and you don't get anything back? 

54 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

The bit about resto on a paid tier. Did I understand you right? You get charged the unrestored FMV tier rate, it comes back restored - and therefore with with a much lower value - and you don't get anything back? 

Sorry, you did misunderstand me. I said 'Upon the resto, they gave me a credit on the FMV of the book.'  So, they gave me credit for the difference in the FMV I was charged to the FMV of the Restored. However, this bears repeating, this can only be done on a Walkthrough tier.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Don't over analyze this. CGC is very lenient with the tier selection. They can, at their discretion, bump you to a higher tier if necessary. Usually, this is a good thing as you pay a little more but you have a higher than expected grade on your book. Also, keep in mind, your insurance through this whole process is based on what you declare.

I got a call from them once.  The book graded higher than I expected.  I just paid the difference over the phone and all was good.  Detroit Trolley copy of Action #28 CGC 7.0  :cloud9:

I always think of it as a insurance value over what price i think the book is worth.  I've subbed a few books that I paid $200 for so the $250 modern max was fine if it got lost.  The book came back a 9.8 and it was worth $750 but CGC didn't ask for any additional money.  I would have been pissed if it got lost on the way back to me since the insurance was only $250 but I was ok with rolling that dice since I'm sure boxes don't go missing very often.