• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have You Ever Bought Anything From A Comic Book Ad?
6 6

141 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

There's a great NPR audio story about the man/inventor behind many of these products, Harold von Braunhut.  But I can't find the audio.

Anyway, he's an interesting guy to read about.

Not your audio buta short film on the man

17 hours ago, Cozmo-One said:

I like how the Star Trek spaceships are $2.95 each, or both for $6.95...

Yes, you "got your money's worth."

Heck, if I could go back in time I would order 100 of the $6.95 "value" choice and store them in my closet.

18 hours ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

I bought the gorilla mask and had it for years.  Some kids in my neighborhood bought the ghost you mentioned and were pretty upset about it.  They also bought the smoking paste (you rub it between your fingers and a cloud of something or other rises from them), they were pretty happy with that.  And I had another friend who bought the carbide cannon - that worked great but we ran out of ammo pretty quickly.

I also bought the Revolutionary War Soldiers (see below).  I liked them so much I bought an additional set.  The worst part was waiting.  As I remember it took 3 months to get them in the mail.  :sumo:  That was a long time for a kid to wait. :)

qkMXdGS.jpg

Oh, in case no one has posted it yet, here's a pic of the 'actual' cardboard submarine.  I would have ordered it (I really, really wanted it), but it was WAY too expensive for me.   https://i.imgur.com/XAii21U.jpg

I'm certain that I purchased a few other items but the only one that I recall is the Ghost.

14 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

kirk16.jpg

U-Control Ghost: A trash bag, string, and a balloon with Casper's friendly face. Images via "Mail-Order Mysteries"

That looks like the Ghost that I remember, except that I do not recall the disc.

Unless I'm gravely mistaken, the only people that the Ghost scared were my cousin and I when we opened the package and saw what we had received.

On 8/3/2018 at 7:37 AM, telerites said:

I wanted one of these and I was going to put in the lake nearby where we lived.   I was going to be the next Jacques Cousteau. I had no idea it was cardboard.   Probably a good thing I never had the money or I would been at the bottom of the lake to this day.

Polaris-Nuclear-Sub.jpg

I had the exact same plan. me and my friends would practice what we were going to do using a cardboard box so we were ready for when we got it.  Sadly I could never put together to money to buy it.

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I had the exact same plan. me and my friends would practice what we were going to do using a cardboard box so we were ready for when we got it.  Sadly I could never put together to money to buy it.

$6.98 was a load of money - I lived in a small town and would go down Main Street looking in trash cans for pop bottles.  I didn't get an allowance as a kid but I I would cash them in at the corner 5 and Dime but I would end buying candy or some junky nickel toy.  Heck, $6.98 still seems like a ton :cry:

12 hours ago, Cozmo-One said:

Did he order them individually, or did he pay the extra $1.05 to get both at the same time :)  Pretty cool though, I would have liked them!

I honestly can't remember anything about how he ordered them or what he paid. I'd assume since they both seemed to appear at the same time, he paid the extra. I don't remember what happened to them, I just know they didn't make the journey when we moved a couple of years later. I'll have to ask him about it the next time I talk to him...  ???

On 8/3/2018 at 3:48 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I recall that a cousin and I purchased the "Life-Size Ghost" when we were both either 6 or had just turned 7 years old. My parents gave us a dollar and we cut the add out of a beat up (as in, at best, FA/1.0) copy of, if I recall correctly, an Amazing Spider-Man issue. I do not recall the issue number so I will ask my cousin if he does.

As you may imagine, the Ghost was less than we expected, consisting of a white balloon and a white plastic sheet that was likely a plastic table cloth.

As they say, "good times!"

f37f0568d7096ac38d1270d6ce78f8a3--old-co

My brother bought the air car.  It actually worked!  It had a controller which was basically on/off and a wire that ran to the hover craft.  It was made from real light weight material with a small electric motor with a prop.  It looked exactly like the picture.  Batteries didn't last very long.

5 minutes ago, telerites said:

$6.98 was a load of money - I lived in a small town and would go down Main Street looking in trash cans for pop bottles.  I didn't get an allowance as a kid but I I would cash them in at the corner 5 and Dime but I would end buying candy or some junky nickel toy.  Heck, $6.98 still seems like a ton :cry:

Sounds like we had very similar experiences growing up.  I grew up in Versailles, Indiana.  I think the population was around 2000 (so locals referred to it as the city).  Saturdays and Sundays consisted of going out a looking for pop bottles to sell.  Comics got scarce when the local drugstore quit carrying them.  My life changed when I got a paper route in 5th grade.  Score between $2 and $3 a week delivering 20 newspapers around town.

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Sounds like we had very similar experiences growing up.  I grew up in Versailles, Indiana.  I think the population was around 2000 (so locals referred to it as the city).  Saturdays and Sundays consisted of going out a looking for pop bottles to sell.  Comics got scarce when the local drugstore quit carrying them.  My life changed when I got a paper route in 5th grade.  Score between $2 and $3 a week delivering 20 newspapers around town.

2facja.jpg.e3370a0d406f4baedcb11718632f2788.jpg

On 8/3/2018 at 2:37 PM, telerites said:

I wanted one of these and I was going to put in the lake nearby where we lived.   I was going to be the next Jacques Cousteau. I had no idea it was cardboard.   Probably a good thing I never had the money or I would been at the bottom of the lake to this day.

Polaris-Nuclear-Sub.jpg

I think it was later purchased by a Mr P.N.Quin?

I used to buy a lot from Warrens Captain company and still have their horror posters in a few tubes I also got some models and back issues of Famous monsters. I remember seeing adverts from Mile high comics listing Amazing fantasy 15 as $17!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Howard Rogosky was a great contact I would send him U.K books and items and he would send me issues of old horror movie magazines as trade. 

7 hours ago, batman_fan said:
7 hours ago, telerites said:

grew up in the south suburbs of Chicago in the 1970s. Money was always tight until I got my paper routes. But before that, I would scrimp and save every coin I could scrounge. My dad used to pay me by the ten minute intervals for rubbing his back-- starting at 10 cents per and getting a quarter per as time moved on. Used this bank to help me work toward a savings goal. Later I would still use it and even stuff the occasional dollar bill in the slot in the back. The bank would not open unless you reached $10.

cec0d718e7a312d8ef5515f122fa563a--cash-r

On 8/3/2018 at 6:37 AM, telerites said:

Polaris-Nuclear-Sub.jpg

A friend of mine bought one. It was basically a large cardboard box with printing on its side.