• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have You Ever Bought Anything From A Comic Book Ad?
6 6

141 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2018 at 10:52 AM, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

I bought the gorilla mask and had it for years.  Some kids in my neighborhood bought the ghost you mentioned and were pretty upset about it.  They also bought the smoking paste (you rub it between your fingers and a cloud of something or other rises from them), they were pretty happy with that.  And I had another friend who bought the carbide cannon - that worked great but we ran out of ammo pretty quickly.

I also bought the Revolutionary War Soldiers (see below).  I liked them so much I bought an additional set.  The worst part was waiting.  As I remember it took 3 months to get them in the mail.  :sumo:  That was a long time for a kid to wait. :)

qkMXdGS.jpg

Oh, in case no one has posted it yet, here's a pic of the 'actual' cardboard submarine.  I would have ordered it (I really, really wanted it), but it was WAY too expensive for me.   https://i.imgur.com/XAii21U.jpg

This! I ordered these as a young lad and even though very small, were very fun. 

2 hours ago, kav said:

"I ordered the silent dog whistle.  I was excited to make dogs go nuts and no one but me would know why.  It came and boy was I excited!  The brass whistle looked like the real deal!  I went outside and spotted my neighbor's dogs.  I blew the whistle.  Nothing.  I blew harder-NOTHING.  I adjusted it over and over and nothing nothing nothing.  Finally I realized I had been had.  I stared at it for a moment then threw it as hard as I could out into the field".
-Carl C, SF

lolI had a dog whistle, lucky I didn't pop a blood vessel trying to make it work.  My dog looked at me sidewayso.O

"I was excited to make dogs go nuts" :roflmao:

Edited by vheflin

I had an old Batman silver age book (I forget the number). It seemed in really good condition. I took it out of the bag to inspect it and someone cut out one of those "get big muscles to impress the ladies" coupons. At first I was mad, then I thought I really hope that those muscles worked out for whoever used the coupon.

On 8/3/2018 at 2:40 PM, Kramerica said:

That's good stuff. I can picture the whole scene unfolding - especially his friend laughing his socks off. You know they were both high as a kite. I always wanted to order the monkey but couldn't find the nerve. I figured my Mom would catch me, the monkey'd go to the pound and they'd put him asleep,

True story: Years later I remember reading how there was a whole community of these monkeys in the sewers underneath NYC. Turns out everyone ordered one of those friggin' marsupials, let them go/they escaped and they were breeding rather quickly. By 1990 or so it had become a real problem and gangs of these monkeys would come up at night looking for food. That's the real reason the city started releasing alligators in the sewers - to control the population of wild monkeys that had been ordered from comic books and magazines. Decades later and they still have a problem with those darn alligators.

How did this go over 3 years without anyone politely pointing out that monkeys aren't marsupials? lol

On 4/17/2021 at 5:42 PM, Muno42 said:

My brother ordered the foot locker with 100 toy soldiers for $1. Amazing how many flat army figures you can fir in a tiny box.

My brother and I got the Roman Soldiers! So flat, most of them couldn't stand up without pushing them into the dirt a little. Good times. 

1 hour ago, Conacon said:

My brother and I got the Roman Soldiers! So flat, most of them couldn't stand up without pushing them into the dirt a little. Good times. 

they were so flat pancakes made fun of them!

On 8/2/2018 at 2:15 PM, Bird said:

I bought my first piece of published OA (a Sandman page in about 1992/1993) from a blind auction ad in the back of Comic Buyer's Guide if that counts. It was $125 and I was in college (grad school) and was terrified how I would scrape up the money. No I don't have it anymore.

I used to rush down to the LCS every week to get the Comic Buyer's Guide back in the early 90s (there was no ebay then of course). You'd have to get the CBG ASAP since people would be calling the dealers to snag the back issues. In my area, we didn't have any major comic cons, so trying to find keys was challenging to say the least. Plus I was in college and broke so travelling was out the question. The ads in the CBG were my main source to find back issues, and I still have most of what I bought back then. 

WIsh I had an old copy somewhere so I could check out the ads the prices. Ah nostalgia.....

I raised Sea-Monkeys for 30 yrs on and off starting when I was around 7. Sent for all the special food/toys ect. I too was angry when I 1st got them. Not the iconic family promised. True story, I became friends with the CEO whom in my 40's gifted me with many different sea-monkey sets. I handed them out to kids from time to time. If you do them right to me they are beautiful creatures. They can get around an inch long and their bodies remind me of a boat with many fluttering oars....and they do have little antennas. They also have baby's which is cool. The 1st time they arrived in the mail I was indeed passed for false advertising. Same with the ghost and 7 foot monster. My Freddy the Flute was awesome from a cereal ad and did anybody else do these? I loved these. The Batman one was better all the way around. Better art, story, and production values. The X-men cover and posters were awesome though and the letter from Stan Lee and trading card was fun. Rainblo gum ad for Batman and an ad in marvel comics for the X-men one.

20210217_181902_HDR-1-1.jpg

20210310_093444_HDR-1.jpg