• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have You Ever Bought Anything From A Comic Book Ad?
6 6

141 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Muno42 said:

My brother ordered the foot locker with 100 toy soldiers for $1. Amazing how many flat army figures you can fir in a tiny box.

foot snuff box more like.

There's nothing like ordering something you think is gonna be spectacular and receiving a flat envelope and realizing you have been screwed before you even open it-

thumbnail (1).jpeg

Elfquest VHS tapes and an Elfquest poster, neither ever arrived. 

Some comics here and there, again, never arrived until I ordered from I think it was mile high, right before I quit reading comics. 

I was really soured on mail order for a long time because of my string of bad luck 

3 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Elfquest VHS tapes and an Elfquest poster, neither ever arrived. 

Some comics here and there, again, never arrived until I ordered from I think it was mile high, right before I quit reading comics. 

I was really soured on mail order for a long time because of my string of bad luck 

I wish my 'flashing eyes' never arrived to be honest-

download (7).jpg

Edited by kav

4 minutes ago, piper said:

another great podcast series about these ads from the world's largest collector of comic book novelties and the owner of the only existing polaris sub.  many of his collection items were featured in mail order mysteries.
https://www.houseoftheunusual.com/podcast

Edited by kav

On 4/16/2021 at 11:11 PM, William-James88 said:

Looks like what I wear for protection with goth chicks

Yes, the ghost danced ... over the "dreams" my cousin and I had of scaring people with it.

On 4/18/2021 at 12:45 AM, kav said:

another great podcast series about these ads from the world's largest collector of comic book novelties and the owner of the only existing polaris sub.  many of his collection items were featured in mail order mysteries.
https://www.houseoftheunusual.com/podcast

my problem with podcasts in this case is that my interest is very much on a visual level, like what did all those things look like after all. Is there a blog dedicated to these novelty items showing what they were compared to what they promised?

2 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

my problem with podcasts in this case is that my interest is very much on a visual level, like what did all those things look like after all. Is there a blog dedicated to these novelty items showing what they were compared to what they promised?

I'll mention to him he should add something like that to his site.  There is the book mail order mysteries that shows many of the iems.

On 4/16/2021 at 1:59 PM, kav said:

If anyone has ever wondered wut happens when you ordered a live monkey well here it is:
https://www.npr.org/2014/04/25/306868280/monkey-madness

Mail Order Monkeys â The Reprobate

We’re they even legal to own then , must be , but how to ship a monkey??😷😷

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

you can get it cheap on ebay but its abt a 20 min read.  My buddy is working on a more extensive book:

1preview14.jpg