• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have You Ever Bought Anything From A Comic Book Ad?
6 6

141 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Of course:  

s-l1000.jpg

Other than the odd mail away item, those (above) are the ones I wanted but never got. I also would have loved to have bought these (below)

comicbooksoldiersRomansAd.jpg

On the other hand, I did have the Marx Navarone Giant Playset so i was a pretty happy kid. That set is long gone but oddly enough, I still have the two yellow cannons. 

Edited by Jerkfro

I bought a t-shirt with a picture of  Ernest P. Worrell that said “Know What I Mean Vern?”  No joke. 

It was from one of those interior ad pages that had all those little classified boxes. It took so long to arrive I honestly thought I got scammed. 

I’ll have to look through my books and see if we can find the ad. 

Prior to that my mom did the mail-away ad where you sent proof-of-purchase from cereal boxes and got 2 free Presto Magic sets - Hulk and Spider-Man. But I don’t know if that actually counts as “buying” something. 

2 hours ago, telerites said:

I wanted one of these and I was going to put in the lake nearby where we lived.   I was going to be the next Jacques Cousteau. I had no idea it was cardboard.   Probably a good thing I never had the money or I would been at the bottom of the lake to this day.

Polaris-Nuclear-Sub.jpg

Yup. No wonder we get along.  Very similar tastes in comics and submarines.

I think I might have bought half the catalog back in those days.  Tons of stuff and then agonizingly waiting for it to come in via snail mail. Only thing I wish I bought, but didn't, was the live monkey. Too rich for a little kid like myself.

Apart from other comics (like RMA, I ordered lots of stuff from American), just the Sea Monkeys.  Of course, it didn't work.   My friend also got them.  He was able to bring one to life.  It didn't last too long.  

11 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Apart from other comics (like RMA, I ordered lots of stuff from American), just the Sea Monkeys.  Of course, it didn't work.   My friend also got them.  He was able to bring one to life.  It didn't last too long.  

I can imagine the frustration.

img_2729.jpg?fit=640,360

So much fun perusing these. I would daydream and with a dozen items on this page I'd become Master of the World. I'd attach the loud carbine cannon to my Cessna and travel the land, writing wrongs. With my army of 7 foot ghosts and live sea monkeys backing me up I would win many women after saving them from evildoers threatening the world with flesh eating plants. My justice would have no equal as I'd use the secret of the black arts and my crime detection lab to thwart evil. Later, as I entered puberty I would learn how to hypnotize with my hypnotic whirling coin and no carnal delight would be unattainable as Blair from "Facts of Life" and Phoebe Cates from "Fast Times" could come on over for the After School Special. I guess at that point I knew I was in trouble and should probably just order the bargain bag of jokes.

5 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

I had no problems with the sea monkeys.  The key is to be patient and let the treated water sit for a while before adding in the eggs. 

You mean I wasn't supposed to incubate them in the oven? Dang it! 

7 hours ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I recall that a cousin and I purchased the "Life-Size Ghost" when we were both either 6 or had just turned 7 years old. My parents gave us a dollar and we cut the add out of a beat up (as in, at best, FA/1.0) copy of, if I recall correctly, an Amazing Spider-Man issue. I do not recall the issue number so I will ask my cousin if he does.

As you may imagine, the Ghost was less than we expected, consisting of a white balloon and a white plastic sheet that was likely a plastic table cloth.

As they say, "good times!"

f37f0568d7096ac38d1270d6ce78f8a3--old-co

a0261ab48f3f2d8f598fd2b78c7aa78d--sea-mo

I bought the gorilla mask and had it for years.  Some kids in my neighborhood bought the ghost you mentioned and were pretty upset about it.  They also bought the smoking paste (you rub it between your fingers and a cloud of something or other rises from them), they were pretty happy with that.  And I had another friend who bought the carbide cannon - that worked great but we ran out of ammo pretty quickly.

I also bought the Revolutionary War Soldiers (see below).  I liked them so much I bought an additional set.  The worst part was waiting.  As I remember it took 3 months to get them in the mail.  :sumo:  That was a long time for a kid to wait. :)

qkMXdGS.jpg

Oh, in case no one has posted it yet, here's a pic of the 'actual' cardboard submarine.  I would have ordered it (I really, really wanted it), but it was WAY too expensive for me.   https://i.imgur.com/XAii21U.jpg

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:
4 hours ago, telerites said:

I wanted one of these and I was going to put in the lake nearby where we lived.   I was going to be the next Jacques Cousteau. I had no idea it was cardboard.   Probably a good thing I never had the money or I would been at the bottom of the lake to this day.

Polaris-Nuclear-Sub.jpg

Here it is:

sub.jpg.96ea8d424b831f8fef839aaea6d810a2.jpg

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Hi Paul :hi:

Hope all is well - I rarely jump out of the GA area so it has been a while.  I am getting ready to run out but I will shoot you a PM this weekend to catch up.

There's a great NPR audio story about the man/inventor behind many of these products, Harold von Braunhut.  But I can't find the audio.

Anyway, he's an interesting guy to read about.

9 hours ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I recall that a cousin and I purchased the "Life-Size Ghost" when we were both either 6 or had just turned 7 years old. My parents gave us a dollar and we cut the add out of a beat up (as in, at best, FA/1.0) copy of, if I recall correctly, an Amazing Spider-Man issue. I do not recall the issue number so I will ask my cousin if he does.

As you may imagine, the Ghost was less than we expected, consisting of a white balloon and a white plastic sheet that was likely a plastic table cloth.

As they say, "good times!"

f37f0568d7096ac38d1270d6ce78f8a3--old-co

I like how the Star Trek spaceships are $2.95 each, or both for $6.95...