• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Way to Look For Privately Held Art
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I am looking for several specific art, like an old J. H. Williams Batman cover and a Michael Kaluta/Charles Vess splash.  Nothing extremely valuable or notable perhaps.   The owners don't have them posted on CAF or 2D.   What is the best way to search for art so that I can make an offer?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Peter L said:

What is the best way to search for art so that I can make an offer?

A way to start is to have a CAF 'WANTED' listing or gallery.

Success is probably going to be limited.  I've had a CAF gallery for over ten years, and while I've found a handful of pages from my 'Most Wanted' list, only ONE has come from a response to a 'WANTED' listing.

BUT, it does get your desires out there. If you have an active CAF gallery, your wanted pages will get hits, and, if you use wisely designed keywords in your listings and uploaded image titles, your interest should also ripple out to Google searches as well.

3 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

d1405ba16ea3dee10d0dea8b4a9deda1--scarfa

Proven ability (or reputation) to pay cash above FMV helps... 

Yep.  Overpay for a lot of expensive art, post it all on CAF, and the sale offers will come rolling in! :idea: 

2 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Is social media an option? There are OA groups on Facebook. Dunno how they feel about WTB posts, but it’s a thought.

I recently acquired a missing page from a storyline I've been trying to put back together for some years now.  Posted a request on one of the FB groups I'm a member of and, bang, someone had a page he was willing to release to me! 

Gotta be imaginative and cover all bases in your hunt . . . 

I thought posting wanted pieces was forbidden on CAF?  Maybe I misread or things have changed since I was more active on it.  Is it ok to do so now?

There are so many pieces I am looking for that I thought it wouldn't be worth it to post photos of all of them on this thread.  They are just random pieces.

Thanks everyone!

3 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Is social media an option? There are OA groups on Facebook. Dunno how they feel about WTB posts, but it’s a thought.

It's become active from what I understand. I haven't really experienced it myself but from looking on Instagram, the comic side of things is doing well.

6 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Said it before, and I'll say it again.  I don't sense that CAF drives traffic the way it used to.  The numbers seem to be way, way down.

That said, I think it would make sense to hit everything from Facebook groups, to Instagram and beyond.

CAF is no longer the only place online to share art with numerous FB groups and every other social outlet mentioned. But I think it is still the hub from which the other satellites orbit.  9 out of 10 when someone does post on another site they often will link to their CAF. 

About once a month someone will join CAF and upload dozens/hundreds of pages in a short time.  Someone that has been collecting "offline" for years, not a new collector with half a dozen pages. So it is still attracting members. 

And when hunting, leave no stone un-turned, no post un-posted 

38 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Said it before, and I'll say it again.  I don't sense that CAF drives traffic the way it used to.  The numbers seem to be way, way down.

That said, I think it would make sense to hit everything from Facebook groups, to Instagram and beyond.

Where are you seeing older comic art on Instagram? I know that it's big for modern/ well-known artists in the industry and their art reps but haven't seen much if at all for other stuff that many here would be interested in from an older time period.