• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Crazy collector environment we're in
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Things change so quickly in the comic collecting world (and to an extent the OA world as well), that crazy stuff happens. I have dealer friends who can barely keep up with all the books that suddenly become "keys" due to some new retcon, or TV show.

I just discovered one such instance relating to my OA collecting. Last year, I was eyeing a couple of nice Doctor Strange pages by Geoff Isherwood on eBay. They were from (at the time) a run of the mill early 90's run, but it they featured a nice battle between Strange and the Juggernaut. At the time, the pages were a bit over my price range, so I kind put them on my watch list to see if they got reduced. I was close enough to pulling the trigger on one of them that I went out and hunted through local comic shop dollar bins for the issue it was from: #44.

I like to own the published comic my art is from. So, anticipating that I may buy one of these pages, I purchased a nice copy of the comic for no more than $1. As it turns out, I decided against buying the art, but I still have the comic. It was a nothinburger issue, which just happened to feature some nice art.

Well, that's all changed folks!

It turns out this issue featured the first appearance of Cyttorak. You know, of the "Crimson bands of Cyttorak?" And, it has become a valuable commodity in the past year. It went from being a dollar bin nothingburger to a $40-$50 key book. (Not sure how long that'll last, but that's the case right now!). Why did it skyrocket in price? I have no idea.

Now, I regret not buying one of those pages from this issue. Granted, none of them had Cyttorak in them. But still.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

Was just at a comic show yesterday and chatting up some dealers that I have known for years. I like to do this to keep to keep up at least a little with what is going on in the hobby and it makes for fun conversation. I don’t know how many times I saw something priced at several multiples of where it was previously. Many of these books I have, sometimes multiples … most of my dealer friends tell me I need to start selling at shows.

26 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Was just at a comic show yesterday and chatting up some dealers that I have known for years. I like to do this to keep to keep up at least a little with what is going on in the hobby and it makes for fun conversation. I don’t know how many times I saw something priced at several multiples of where it was previously. Many of these books I have, sometimes multiples … most of my dealer friends tell me I need to start selling at shows.

Me too. Every time I go to a show, I see stuff I have in my collection up on the dealer walls advertised for prices I can't believe. Stuff that just a short time ago was considered dollar bin dreck.

On 8/6/2018 at 9:31 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Things change so quickly in the comic collecting world (and to an extent the OA world as well), that crazy stuff happens. I have dealer friends who can barely keep up with all the books that suddenly become "keys" due to some new retcon, or TV show.

I just discovered one such instance relating to my OA collecting. Last year, I was eyeing a couple of nice Doctor Strange pages by Geoff Isherwood on eBay. They were from (at the time) a run of the mill early 90's run, but it they featured a nice battle between Strange and the Juggernaut. At the time, the pages were a bit over my price range, so I kind put them on my watch list to see if they got reduced. I was close enough to pulling the trigger on one of them that I went out and hunted through local comic shop dollar bins for the issue it was from: #44.

I like to own the published comic my art is from. So, anticipating that I may buy one of these pages, I purchased a nice copy of the comic for no more than $1. As it turns out, I decided against buying the art, but I still have the comic. It was a nothinburger issue, which just happened to feature some nice art.

Well, that's all changed folks!

It turns out this issue featured the first appearance of Cyttorak. You know, of the "Crimson bands of Cyttorak?" And, it has become a valuable commodity in the past year. It went from being a dollar bin nothingburger to a $40-$50 key book. (Not sure how long that'll last, but that's the case right now!). Why did it skyrocket in price? I have no idea.

Now, I regret not buying one of those pages from this issue. Granted, none of them had Cyttorak in them. But still.

Snyder had 2 pages left up to a few days ago. He had them about $550 each or thereabouts. Both had Cyttorak in them. He had no idea and that had been the prices he had on them for quite a while. I thought about it for a minute but still thought it was too much. Today they are gone. Guess we will see them at auction soon. Not sure if all comic related upticks translate into comic art. 

1 hour ago, mtlevy1 said:

Until this thread never thought this was a hot character - Cyttorak a character and a spell - in the movies a device?

Looks like I don't have the comic for my page below...

Isherwood Dr Strange 44 p20 001.jpg

This shows why I was interested in the pages. Very cool art. 

2 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

This shows why I was interested in the pages. Very cool art. 

Yes, I like Isherwood's stuff - I don't have the comic but the character Juggernaut is applying violence to - is that Cyttorak?  I probably picked this up for the landscape panels and Nova...

1 hour ago, mtlevy1 said:

Yes, I like Isherwood's stuff - I don't have the comic but the character Juggernaut is applying violence to - is that Cyttorak?  I probably picked this up for the landscape panels and Nova...

LOL! No. That’s Juggernaut. But he does get his powers from Cytorrak