• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did I do the right thing with my original FF#1?

29 posts in this topic

I apologize for not responding earlier, I've been tied up with other things for the past couple weeks. As I said, in my original post, from a collector perspective, if I was going to keep the book, I know I would eternally regret my decision to do Restoration Removal. I was very sad when I saw the removal results.

I was selling the book and I knew the impact that a PLOD would have.

From THAT perspective only, I made the right decision. The most I'd been offered for the Restored CGC 4.0 book was $5K. When I put the Universal CGC 3.5 book on ComicLink Exchange, it sold in about 15 minutes for $12K, my Ask Price. I agree with the comment that it shows how hot the FF#1 is right now that a book with this amount of restoration removal would sell that fast.

I ask that regular commenters not get too mad at newbies slow in responding/commenting. In the future, I will try to do better. Sometimes things just come up!

And I beg forgiveness from the collectors who were upset that I'd done so much damage to a GREAT book, just for money. I'm gifting all profits in selling my collection to my kids and my church.

On August 22, 2018 at 3:12 PM, SilverMAge said:

From THAT perspective only, I made the right decision. 

Yes, you did. And thanks for your post. I have a few PLOD's with minor color touch... I am gonna follow your lead where feasible. 

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

Yes, you did. And thanks for your post. I have a few PLOD's with minor color touch... I am gonna follow your lead where feasible. 

Of course, it's all about the money, books be damned. Don't forget to take an iron to it first to flatten it out, more money ! :baiting:

22 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Of course, it's all about the money, books be damned. Don't forget to take an iron to it first to flatten it out, more money ! :baiting:

My books were an investment for me. Basically I threw $$$ at them 15 years ago, and they've been in storage. Where no one but me has looked at them. And now I'm trying to make sure they are in the most desirable condition to sell. You say no. Why not? Are we all supposed to start comic museums instead? I don't get it.

5 hours ago, oldrover said:

My books were an investment for me. Basically I threw $$$ at them 15 years ago, and they've been in storage. Where no one but me has looked at them. And now I'm trying to make sure they are in the most desirable condition to sell. You say no. Why not? Are we all supposed to start comic museums instead? I don't get it.

That's fine. You are trying to maximize your profit and it's okay. I was specifically referring to the FF1 example where the CT was scraped off. I despise this technique and hate to see it propagated to gain a few extra dollars at the expense of the of the book. Here's a better way to gain some monies. See if you can get a Stan Lee signature. Even if the book stays PLOD, it adds a lot of value. I really think Purple labeled books are a perfect reason to get it signed. The label is yellow with a slight Purple edge, it even looks better.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

9 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

That's fine. You are trying to maximize your profit and it's okay. I was specifically referring to the FF1 example where the CT was scraped off. I despise this technique and hate to see it propagated to gain a few extra dollars at the expense of the of the book. Here's a better way to gain some monies. See if you can get a Stan Lee signature. Even if the book stays PLOD, it adds a lot of value. I really think Purple labeled books are a perfect reason to get it signed. The label is yellow with a slight Purple edge, it even looks better.

It would be easier said than done these days, but I can't argue with the value of a Stan Lee signature. And that value will only go up.

Here's a similar one that I had graded.  This started out as a graded (gulp) PGX 6.0 restored grade (slight color touch).  I took a huge risk buying it I know because.......PGX.

I thought I might get lucky and get a 4.0-4.5 after the CT removal, but it went all the way down to 3.0.

Hmmmm.... Now that these FF1s are on fire I guess I did ok.

P1090557.JPG