• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK 181
1 1

18 posts in this topic

9.2 as is: 2 tiny color breaking spine ticks on front cover (by wolverine's arm and wendigo's head), 3 small spine ticks on back cover, back cover upper spine corner bump, inside front cover lower left corner has a tiny bend, minimal waviness of the back cover bottom edge.

9.4-9.6 with a press to remove the back cover upper spine bump, inside front cover lower left corner bend, waviness, back cover ticks

Question: is that a stray pen mark on the red section of the front cover upper right corner at the top of the K in "HULK"?  If so that would be a significant defect and bump down the score, but I can't really make out what that is exactly. 

beautiful raw copy!  Thanks for sharing!

Edited by davet75

Thanks for the assessment gentlemen..... The mark in the upper right corner is a tiny bit of ink splatter from the printing... not a pen mark. So you think there is enough that can be done with a pressing to raise the grade a bit? I've had no experience with pressing so not really sure when it's worth it... although sometimes it's obvious of course.

Updated: I missed a significant color breaking crease on Hulk's butt (I must have been pretty tired to miss that one, the most significant defect on the whole book).  revising my score and updating my review below:

8.5  as is: significant color breaking crease on Hulk's butt, 2 tiny color breaking spine ticks on front cover (by wolverine's arm and wendigo's head), 3 small spine ticks on back cover, back cover upper spine corner bump, inside front cover lower left corner has a tiny bend, minimal waviness of the back cover bottom edge.

9.0 - 9.2 with a press to remove: back cover upper spine bump, inside front cover lower left corner bend, waviness, back cover ticks

2 minutes ago, davet75 said:

Updated: I missed a significant color breaking crease on Hulk's butt (I must have been pretty tired to miss that one, the most significant defect on the whole book).  revising my score and updating my review below:

8.5  as is: significant color breaking crease on Hulk's butt, 2 tiny color breaking spine ticks on front cover (by wolverine's arm and wendigo's head), 3 small spine ticks on back cover, back cover upper spine corner bump, inside front cover lower left corner has a tiny bend, minimal waviness of the back cover bottom edge.

9.0 - 9.2 with a press to remove: back cover upper spine bump, inside front cover lower left corner bend, waviness, back cover ticks

With the color breaking crease I suspect the book will be stuck at 8.5, the pressing will not accomplish much. Depending on your definition of 'significant', if that corner dent comes out nicely, 'maybe' you can get a 9.0 . Good luck !

Pressed, graded and in the mail... thanks again for the help.

9.0 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Comic Description:
Incredible Hulk 181 11/74 Marvel Comics

Grader Notes:
crease right bottom of front cover breaks color
spine stress lines breaks color

4 minutes ago, jokiing said:

9.0 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Comic Description:

Grader Notes:

SWEET!  :golfclap:

17 minutes ago, jokiing said:

9.0 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Comic Description:

Grader Notes:

EE194741-7911-4BB2-A846-790D0ED58886.gif.c1523babc0ed2c715289849c27be5c0e.gif

On 3/16/2019 at 3:56 PM, jokiing said:

9.0 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Comic Description:

Grader Notes:

congrats!  that's a beauty :luhv: