• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink sale has started
2 2

94 posts in this topic

I was really surprised by the hammer on the Quitely Invisibles page.

I thought i had a shot at it at my bid of $1500, it shot up another 1k.

I thought the Quitely market would soften a little without Pitarra buying every page that exists.  But it looks like his market continues to move.

9 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

I thought the Quitely market would soften a little without Pitarra buying every page that exists.  But it looks like his market continues to move.

As far as I know he's still buying. Unless my memory is poor, I think he had a decent haul pretty recently. 

13 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

Someone bought the all the pages to Leviathan #1 complete, so he had some cash to spend on Quitely art. ^^

13 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

As far as I know he's still buying. Unless my memory is poor, I think he had a decent haul pretty recently. 

I think it was on IG he was talking about how he's only going after "big game" after getting the All Star Superman cover.  So if he had money burning a hole in his pocket, i'm sure that took a chunk out of it.  But I have no idea if he bid and/or won.  I just thought he wasn't as active.

9 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Harsh to call it a "rejected" cover.  I mean, if this is a "rejected" cover, then I guess the Cap #100 is a rejected cover too given that the OA looks even more different than the published version.  In any case, I would strongly doubt that anyone really cared that the published version had a slightly different looking Cap head by Romita.  Just my opinion.  

The #207 cover was sold together with the all-stat published version the last time it was on ComicLink in 2014 (I was the buyer then, but, decided that it didn't really fit my collection and so punted it in 2015).  Not sure where the stat cover ended up.  Again, I doubt there was much value attributed to the stat cover...maybe a grand or two at most IMO.  

I think the price can be explained by the fact that it's one of the bottom quartile covers from Kirby's '70s Cap run and, as Felix noted, that it's bounced around a lot.  It's a good buy for someone who maybe can't afford one of the better covers from the run. 2c 

Half rejected/half published? Unredacted?

I like it, I thought about it.

When else can you get a Cap Kirby cover for $13k?

I think it still comes with the all stat published version:

Accompanying Kirby's original cover art, and pictured in the center image below, is the piece used for the actual cover, comprised of the professional recreation of Kirby's background art, and the production stat overlay of John Romita's reworking of the face (which is not the original artwork but the final copy used for the cover's production). This piece is a wonderful companion for Kirby's art, giving a collector a look at what was and what could have been with this bold cover image. 

It looks like the Conan #6 splash page was the highest selling item in this CL auction. 

Wasn't this entire issue purchased previously and not paid for or am I thinking of something else?

If so are they just going to sell it a page at a time now?

Found the old thread.

Edited by buyatari

11 hours ago, Twanj said:

Half rejected/half published? Unredacted?

I like it, I thought about it.

When else can you get a Cap Kirby cover for $13k?

I think it still comes with the all stat published version:

Ah, you're right.  In that case, nobody will have cared about the Romita corrections at all, since you'd be getting both the OA and the stat production cover to boot.  $13,251 qualifies as a real bargain in this market.  

11 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

Results were spotty - I won a few pieces without any serious effort

Just noticed that a piece I was recently offered privately at what I thought was not a bad price (just decided that I wasn't for me) sold for 40% less in the sale. :whatthe: 

Definitely a good auction for buyers IMO.  Seeing a number of results that could have been from 2013-2015 instead of 2018. 

Edited by delekkerste

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Ah, you're right.  In that case, nobody will have cared about the Romita corrections at all, since you'd be getting both the OA and the stat production cover to boot.  $13,251 qualifies as a real bargain in this market.  

Just noticed that a piece I was recently offered privately at what I thought was not a bad price (just decided that I wasn't for me) sold for 40% less in the sale. :whatthe: 

Definitely a good auction for buyers IMO.  Seeing a number of results that could have been from 2013-2015 instead of 2018. 

Some market resistance perhaps? I noticed the same with a number of pieces, one I posted about earlier.

Edited by AnkurJ

On 9/5/2018 at 5:50 AM, NinjaSealed said:

Maybe i'm wrong but isn't the MWOF cover more desirable than the #271 cover that went for a higher price? 

I think the MOWF #1 cover they auctioned awhile back was a steal as well. I have a feeling I may regret not going harder on them at some point.

I thought the same thing and was scratching at my head at the finish. 

If you regret not bidding harder, I have 2 covers and I don't need 2 :)

Malvin 

I suspect there could have been some amount of 'market' fatigue at play with certain pieces that finished where they did...

The Heritage Signature Auction was followed by the Comic Connect Event Auction, and then, the Comic Link Featured Auction closed this summer's tri-fecta...

...not to mention the recent national conventions, nor the weekly offerings from HA's Sunday Internet Auctions, and those regular updates from our favorite original comic book art dealers...

And, perhaps those OTHER presumably 'undervalued' examples are truly only 'worth' what the final bid said that they are...

1 hour ago, First Upgrade said:

I suspect there could have been some amount of 'market' fatigue at play with certain pieces that finished where they did...

The Heritage Signature Auction was followed by the Comic Connect Event Auction, and then, the Comic Link Featured Auction closed this summer's tri-fecta...

...not to mention the recent national conventions, nor the weekly offerings from HA's Sunday Internet Auctions, and those regular updates from our favorite original comic book art dealers...

And, perhaps those OTHER presumably 'undervalued' examples are truly only 'worth' what the final bid said that they are...

Agreed. Though it wouldn’t surprise me to see many of these for sale with dealers in the next month. The Mcfarlane dps seemed cheap though I’m not in the market for pieces like that.

1 hour ago, First Upgrade said:

And this is just counting the comic art market. I know the one piece I bid on (and lost) I did so half-heartedly because I am saving my money for the Sept Prop Store auction (for movie art not comic OA). 

15 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

wouldn’t surprise me to see many of these for sale with dealers in the next month.

One would 'hope' so...as those same 'dealers' who are buying & selling (possibly 'shilling') pieces simultaneously during these auctions are critical to the short-term, apparent, 'viability' of the original comic book art market...

[...perhaps the 'low' reserves here were in place to compensate for the 'prohibition' of shill-bidding that would otherwise be employed as it was in the recent past]