• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the 10 point grading scale improved the hobby for serious collectors?

6 posts in this topic

After reading the Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics and its commentary on the scale, alongside the context of comments made here from old-timers about "old-school" comic grading, I'm curious what people think about the scale as part of the development of the hobby's grading criterion.

It seems to me, in my admittedly limited knowledge of the topic, that grading refinements have been a natural progression of a maturing hobby. I'm certain people can point to the follies of a 10-point scale in the hands of amateurs, so I qualified that question to include serious collectors.

When you consider the collectors who you find insightful, knowledgeable, and with a keen eye for condition, do you think the 10-point scale has made things better? Or has it and the now-entrenched phenomenon of slabbing led the hobby astray? Or more likely, something much more nuanced.

I'd love to hear from you veteran collectors about how grading has changed, how that's affected the vintage market, and what changed when CGC cracked things open.

Happy Friday, y'all.

It's sad when you're talking to someone, and call a book a Fine, only to have them look at you with a confused look and ask what the numerical grade is.

I daresay the serious collectors at this point in the game are the ones buying comics so rare that the condition doesn't matter anymore.  On the opposite end of the spectrum, the newbies are only interested in the distinction of 9.8 or not 9.8, and don't know a bloody thing about grading beyond that.  The rest of us are looking for uncommon books to check off our lists, and having to learn the prices paid of the numerical grades, because that's what sets pricing now, slabbed or raw.

3 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I daresay the serious collectors at this point in the game are the ones buying comics so rare that the condition doesn't matter anymore.  On the opposite end of the spectrum, the newbies are only interested in the distinction of 9.8 or not 9.8, and don't know a bloody thing about grading beyond that.  The rest of us are looking for uncommon books to check off our lists, and having to learn the prices paid of the numerical grades, because that's what sets pricing now, slabbed or raw.

You must be kidding. It seems like the newbies are the ones more focused on rarity (even if the supposed rarity is a lie for one reason or another).